Are FedEX stupid?
Yes. 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
They think I'm stupid enough to fall for their tricks. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 6:26 pm

Got a customs charge for a gift under £34. According to them, that on the paperwork DOES mean I owe import tax.

Either they think I'm stupid, or they are. Which is it? Let's have a f*cking poll.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 6:27 am

I deal with FedEx at my work and they are without a doubt the worst company I have ever dealt with (UPS is a close second). I had to get an account # with them because they wouldn't ship collect to the buyer's account without one. I found out why: they charged a "pickup fee" even though it was an item the buyer was paying the shipping on! Furthermore, on air shipments (not ground) this doesn't apply and you don't need an account number. The craziest thing of all was at a previous job: I called them for a (large) pickup, they said they don't pickup in my area even though the FedEx depot was RIGHT ACROSS THE %#^$ STREET!! !! ! I politely pointed this out and the agent was insistent that they do not and refused to dispatch anyone. I had to grab the driver next time he was in and throw it on his truck before he could stop me.

How does a company full of airheads manage to become so large and popular? :huh: Luckily in Canada they aren't used that often and I don't have to deal with them too much.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 7:01 am

I consider all couriers equally suspect. It amazes me that, if UPS is the preferred courier for a vendor, UPS will then receive the package, and deliver it to FedEx for the long-distance haul (or vice versa). FedEx then delivers it to the U.S. Postal Service or another courier to deliver to the buyer. All these transfers between couriers takes time while the package is sitting on a loading dock waiting its turn to be considered for continued shipping.

It might be less expensive to ship a package through multiple couriers, but I don't see how.

Funny and ironic story: I once purchased a particularly unique Bible from a vendor. The vendor shipped it to me through all the various couriers and it arrived within the usual 8 to 12 days. After reviewing the packing slip, I noticed that the book originated just three miles from me, but was sent to one of the vendor's east-coast facilities to begin its journey back to me. What really irks me is when the tracking software confirms that my package is just a few minutes away from me, but I need to wait until the courier deems when I actually receive it.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 1:09 pm

The threshold for paying import VAT on a gift from a friend, if it's marked "gift" on the customs form on the package, is £39.

So at a value of £35, they are wrong, I believe. Unless they have a reason to think it was marked "gift" in error in order to avoid attracting import VAT, which is illegal on the part of the sender.

UK thresholds are very low. A genuine gift marked as such can be of no higher a value than £39 before you get charged VAT at a percentage of the value, plus an £8 fee (Royal Mail).

For bought goods bought by you and declared as such on the package, the threshold is even lower: £15 item value.

It sucks. The US threshold is up in the $400 value range before they have to pay import taxes! :(

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 12:13 pm

A fedex driver honked her horn at me and yelled "move you f*****g idiot" because I didn't run a stop sign.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 4:08 pm

I don't think they're any worse then ups. I use to prefer them cause they delivered on Saturday while ups didn't. Now ups will deliver all days. Most packages now get dropped off at the usps for local delivery though. I don't like that. 2 day guaranteed delivery can turn into 3. For 3-5 days the usps sits on for the full 5 days even though it arrived in town in day 1/2. Are they sitting around like "hmm we could deliver that early but he only paid for 5 day so nah we're wait"

The funny stuff is where it travels a loop. East coast to west coast back to east coast then finally to west coast again. I've had packages come next city over just to go up to Washington then make it's way down.
Though some have had their package ship from US to Europe to be shipped back to US and delivered. How does one make that kind of mistake 0.o.

But most packages arrive on time now for me or even early. I feel sorry for the postal person who has to work sundays just to deliver a few packages though :(

Oh and package delivery ugh in the past ups sometimes throws them over our fence rather then gonthru the gate or leaves them on our driveway where people walking by could steal it. Usps shoved a packaged into our mailbox. It desformed the packaging including the product box. Luckily my brush wasn't hurt. Oh and they hate having to sign for stuff. Excuse me for not waning my expensive stuff stolen.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 4:21 pm

smudge wrote:
Got a customs charge for a gift under £34. According to them, that on the paperwork DOES mean I owe import tax.

Either they think I'm stupid, or they are. Which is it? Let's have a f*cking poll.

Lol, it's generally best not to give people two options with one option claiming you're stupid...a lot of people will take that option just to be an asshat.

As for Fedex, I rarely get things shipped through them since their nearest office is like a half a day away so it's generally more expensive in my location. That said I had one purchase (a large monitor) shipped from South Korea by FedEx, I ordered it on a Saturday and didn't even expect them to ship it until Monday, and probably a week or 2 in shipping, but no I received it that Tuesday, less than 72 hours after purchasing it in Korea. So I can't really complain about them after that service. Now UPS on the other hand, half the time they drop my package off at the neighbor's house for no reason whatsoever.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 4:50 pm

Which of FedEx and UPS is better really depends mostly on the drivers.

There was one driver around here that was very flaky. Some of the things he would do include:

1) He didn't like to drive out to my younger brother's house. If he saw my younger brother's pickup in town, he'd toss the package in there and go on. When my younger brother complained, he started putting the packages under the seat. In one case, there were some very important documents that he was waiting for and he didn't find them until two weeks later.

2) He didn't like to drive out to my oldest brother's house, either. On one occasion, he stopped next to one of my brother's fields and tossed a package into the back of a trailer in the field. By the time my brother found it, it had been rained on, but fortunately it wasn't something that would be damaged by a little water.

3) When going into offices where there was a young woman there alone, he'd make advances toward her.

4) Later, after switching to a different route in another town, he got in trouble for luring the female owner of a small store into the back of his van and then grabbing her and kissing her. Fortunately, she broke his grip and got out. Even that apparently wasn't enough to get him fired.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 12:24 am

^ 8O

I can't believe they didn't fire him. That's awful. Which company was that?