Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

OpalWP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2017, 11:19 pm

Do you ever feel like your brain and memory are impaired and not sharp? Has your mind ever blanked out on things that you should know, like where someone lives? Have you ever wondered if you're getting Alzheimer's, or can stress do this to a person for a period of time?

If you're out there, please come find me.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 11:25 pm

Yes, stress and depression can most definitely have this effect. I'm generally quite sharp, but years of stress and isolation have certainly had a negative effect.

There Are Four Lights!

OpalWP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2017, 11:36 pm

Darmok wrote:
Yes, stress and depression can most definitely have this effect. I'm generally quite sharp, but years of stress and isolation have certainly had a negative effect.

Do you think it can be recovered?

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 11:46 pm

OpalWP wrote:
Darmok wrote:

I think a lot of it can, yes. Exercise has a strong effect on mental sharpness. If you can get rid of the stress and depression and increase exercise, it can lead to a big improvement.

There Are Four Lights!

OpalWP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jul 2017, 4:18 pm

Darmok wrote:
OpalWP wrote:
Darmok wrote:

I think a lot of it can, yes. Exercise has a strong effect on mental sharpness. If you can get rid of the stress and depression and increase exercise, it can lead to a big improvement.

Do you think a therapist would have knowledge of this sort of thing?

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 5:46 pm

OpalWP wrote:
Darmok wrote:
OpalWP wrote:
Darmok wrote:

Do you think a therapist would have knowledge of this sort of thing?

Probably. A regular physician would also, though, and might know more.

There Are Four Lights!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 8:31 pm

OpalWP wrote:
Do you ever feel like your brain and memory are impaired and not sharp? Has your mind ever blanked out on things that you should know, like where someone lives? Have you ever wondered if you're getting Alzheimer's, or can stress do this to a person for a period of time?

Hypothyroidism can cause memory and cognition issues. Vitamin deficiencies and hormone problems can as well. These things should be checked if you feel your memory is not as good as it used to be.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Jul 2017, 1:38 am

I felt like that my whole life. It was worse when I was depressed, stressed, anxious, &/or not feeling well in general but I've had those issues even when I was feeling well otherwise. I'm diagnosed with dyslexia & ADD so that's probably some of it. I just never been a smart person.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 1:48 am

Yes, the OP describes me. It has got worse with age and particularly worse with stress.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

OpalWP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2017, 1:59 am

What's the difference between ADD and ADHD?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Jul 2017, 3:31 am

OpalWP wrote:
What's the difference between ADD and ADHD?
ADD is an older diagnoses that the DSM did away with. It's nonhyper ADHD now or something like that I think. It's basically problems with paying attention

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 4:25 am

I felt I was going insane and couldn't articulate myself during my period of depression which lasted throughout the whole of 2015 and very early on in January 2016. The thing is it all passed. And the biggest delight I learnt was that I was wrong, I had no less in intellectual capacities than I had before the depression started. Only once you give yourself a moment of ease, can it show however.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 3:34 pm

Chronos wrote:
OpalWP wrote:

Hypothyroidism can cause memory and cognition issues. Vitamin deficiencies and hormone problems can as well. These things should be checked if you feel your memory is not as good as it used to be.

I have this. If you got fat and your hair got thinner on the top of your head, it's worth checking out.

If hormone levels are normal, iodine and zinc deficiency can cause the same symptoms.

Careful with iodine and zinc, though. If you overdo iodine, you get the same symptoms. If you overdo zinc you can lose magnesium.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 11:26 am

I certainly feel the severity of my depression acts as a parallel to my mental sharpness. At my worst I feel horribly frustrated because I just can't take any information in at all. My mind is blank and I retreat. Several years ago at my worst I actually forgot my own age, and had no interests or activities to engage in whatsoever because nothing could serve to stimulate or interest my mind.
Really, if only mental clarity was a fixed state of being, but alas it's all solely based on the squiggly chemicals in one's head. :/

OpalWP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jul 2017, 4:09 pm

So as well as depression being able to cause this, could high stress also?

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 4:43 am

ANTIDEPRESSANTS cause cognitive blunting sometimes, including temporary memory loss. My friend has been on Celexa and Wellbutrin for 10 years and has it so bad she got off the toilet thinking she didn't have to take a dump after all, then realized she HAD taken a dump. LOL.

I have felt this way, however, even before antidepressants. Heat and sun make it worse for me. Stress and depression make it worse. I figured out some monumental stuff in life so my stress/depression went away a lot, so I have less cognitive blunting now.