Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 12:22 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
No, I fear West Virginia won't go blue. Not when the crackers there are time after time convinced to put racial identity politics ahead of their economic interests. Why punch up at the guy holding the key to their shackles, when it's so much easier to punch downward at minorities who have it worse than they do?
Most republicans aren't racist that's the thing. Up until the 2000s West Virginia always supported the most progressive candidate e.g. Michael Dukakis and Bill Clinton. If they are the bigots you say they are than this should not have happened.

I didn't say most Republicans are racist, but to be sure, most racists are Republicans.

How prevalent is racism in the Republican Party?

Well, let's see...
First Nixon, then Reagan, appealed to racial prejudice and fear felt by white southerners in order to attract them by droves to the Republican party, which then adopted their racially centered states rights position.
The adoption of voter suppression hidden under the pretext of fighting voter fraud in Republican controlled states.
One pin headed Republican governor went on the air to rant and rave about how outraged she was that voter suppression directed at a predominantly black district was overturned by the courts.
How Trump had courted the white nationalist Alt Right, which has had very little trouble finding a home in the Republican party.
I'm not saying this applies to each and every Republican, but it would certainly help if those good ones would speak up against what they know is wrong, rather than towing the party line.

You forgot the War on Drugs.

Part of me is considering joining one of those Antifa groups.

I hadn't even considered the War on Drugs, but I agree.
Joining the Antifa sounds like a noble pursuit.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 12:24 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
The Republicans had to use Trump to court the white nationalists. They were stepping out of line.

White nationalists are right sometimes. For example, Tom Metzger supports environmentalism and opposes capitalism. I still think that Metzger is an awful person, but he sees some problems with the system that actually exist. Same goes for Varg Vikernes.

In other words, the white nationalists were starting to adopt far-left sympathies ... until recently.

Then Trump courted the WNs. Now they have abandoned their far-left sympathies.

The elites are very clever.

I'm aghast - I didn't know Metzger was capable of being on the right side! :lol:

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 3:43 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
No, I fear West Virginia won't go blue. Not when the crackers there are time after time convinced to put racial identity politics ahead of their economic interests. Why punch up at the guy holding the key to their shackles, when it's so much easier to punch downward at minorities who have it worse than they do?
Most republicans aren't racist that's the thing. Up until the 2000s West Virginia always supported the most progressive candidate e.g. Michael Dukakis and Bill Clinton. If they are the bigots you say they are than this should not have happened.

I didn't say most Republicans are racist, but to be sure, most racists are Republicans.

Well, let's see...
First Nixon, then Reagan, appealed to racial prejudice and fear felt by white southerners in order to attract them by droves to the Republican party, which then adopted their racially centered states rights position.
The adoption of voter suppression hidden under the pretext of fighting voter fraud in Republican controlled states.
One pin headed Republican governor went on the air to rant and rave about how outraged she was that voter suppression directed at a predominantly black district was overturned by the courts.
How Trump had courted the white nationalist Alt Right, which has had very little trouble finding a home in the Republican party.
I'm not saying this applies to each and every Republican, but it would certainly help if those good ones would speak up against what they know is wrong, rather than towing the party line.

The War on Drugs was largely promoted by the congressional black caucus as a means of helping African Americans.
This notion that war on drugs is racist is a mischaracterization of a complex subject, and is a work of historical revisionism propagated by permissivists.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 4:08 pm

yelekam wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Well, let's see...

The War on Drugs was largely promoted by the congressional black caucus as a means of helping African Americans.
This notion that war on drugs is racist is a mischaracterization of a complex subject, and is a work of historical revisionism propagated by permissivists.

its complicated

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/23/polit ... index.html

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 4:59 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
According to BLS, coal jobs have slightly increased under Trump.

Once the price of gas rises again, then coal will come roaring back.

Trump is helping the coal industry.

Sanders wants to hurt the coal industry.

So, I think Trump wins WV in 2020.

Only around 400 coal jobs have been created so far. A relatively small amount. West Virginia is one of the most neglected parts of the United States if things continue that way the people of the state may vote against Trump.

But the Democrats aren't moving in the right direction for that state.https://justicedemocrats.com/candidates/paula-jean

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 5:20 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
According to BLS, coal jobs have slightly increased under Trump.

Once the price of gas rises again, then coal will come roaring back.

Trump is helping the coal industry.

Sanders wants to hurt the coal industry.

So, I think Trump wins WV in 2020.

Only around 400 coal jobs have been created so far. A relatively small amount. West Virginia is one of the most neglected parts of the United States if things continue that way the people of the state may vote against Trump.

But the Democrats aren't moving in the right direction for that state.https://justicedemocrats.com/candidates/paula-jean

Coal mining only employs 50,000 people nation-wide, the entire coal industry combined employs ~250k. While it's a huge issue to people in W. Virginia, it's also not near the indicator of blue collar workers it's made out to be. Think about it, in a nation of 350+million people we're talking about an industry that employs a quarter million people. Again, that's not to say it's not important to the people involved, merely to give some perspective as to how small the industry actually is when we're talking nationwide perspective.

Forbes article on coal mining
Politifact article on coal mining

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 8:36 pm

If the Democrats want to win anyone (aside from billionaires) then they need to live up to their name for once.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 8:00 pm

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 1:20 am

Well, I'll toss out MY opinion. Since I lived there for over a quarter of a century, in a community and a family fairly dependent on coal, with the entire spectrum of political orientations.

What would it take?? For a Democratic candidate to show West Virginians a viable plan to allow them to extricate themselves from poverty/job insecurity (which I realize exists everywhere, but some places much more than others; for example: We were extremely fortunate, and I knew what a "layoff" was before I knew how to tie my own shoes) WITHOUT making them dependent on welfare or necessitating another wave/generation of what is variously referred to as "brain drain," "leave or starve," and "mining our kids."

No more false sympathy, no more condescension toward values like extended family or Christianity or for that matter firearms ownership, no more attempting to pull the plug on the coal industry (which, yes, is rightly moribund anyway) without coming up with viable plans for retraining and re-employment first. While I'm at it, "re-employment" doesn't mean 25 hours a week at WalMart. My dad netted about $2K a month when I graduated high school in 1996. He'd been an underground miner for 20+ years at that point in time and worked on average 10 hours a day, six days a week. I realize, now, that statements like "We were wealthy" are laughable by the national standards of the American Material Fantasy, but-- WE WERE. You don't replace that with an income of $800 a month (or a welfare check and a dripping ladle of hopelessness and shame) without people ending up hungry, unable to afford medical care, unable to maintain transportation, eventually homeless, and either f****d to the stratosphere on whatever drugs offer an escape from a watered-down version of District 12 (with better entertainment!!), willing to vote for whoever makes them FEEL like at least they are seen with the potential for respect, or ready to fight.

Whoever can do that wins West Virginia (and Ohio, and Oklahoma, and Indiana, and a whole bunch of the rest of "Flyover Country") in 2020.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 7:03 pm

The incest remark was mindless ranting on my part, and I apologize for that.

For the most part, southern and interior western Dems tend to be more conservative than Dems elsewhere—in fact, only slightly less conservative than the average Republican in many cases. Examples include Joe Manchin and John Bel Edwards (who is rumored to be a possible ‘20 presidential hopeful)

Now proficient in ChatGPT!