Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 12:15 pm

Hi everyone. Was diagnosed with Apserger's two days ago at age 36, although the possibility first came up about a month and a half ago.

It's interesting though, because I can't think how some of the Aspergers symptoms apply to me, if at all. There's no doubt that I have difficulties with social situations, have trouble seeing others' points of view, have trouble multitasking, and difficulty with eye contact.

Regarding attention to details, when solving a problem, I definitely tend to get bogged down in details and have trouble seeing the big picture, but I don't notice if someone got a haircut, and if I walk into a room and someone asks me what's changed, I tend to not have noticed.

I can't think of of any significant cases where I have any serious need to stick to a routine, but the psychologist said that this can often be something quite minor like getting annoyed when I have to do certain specific things in a way that's different how I like to do them.

I'd thought that getting the diagnosis would settle the question once and for all and that I would, at that point, accept it and move on, but yet I still find myself wondering.

Looking at some of the other posts on this forum, it looks like people would probably tell me I just have Social Anxiety or something like that, but if the psychologist made the Asperger's diagnosis, he probably knows what he's talking about. :)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 12:28 pm

Wow! A diagnosis in under two months? Amazing.

Diagnoses tend to see the big-ticket items and leave the details for another day. In my diagnosis, one of my two diagnosticians said that she hadn't seen any repetitive behaviors (though I had several routines). After she mentioned this to me, I pointed out to her that my biggest repetitive behavior is swiping non-existent dust from the desk or table in front of me while working or talking, and, absent a desk or table surface, will swipe my pants (I know, weird). I like the smooth, sometimes cool surfaces.

It took me several months to not care that she didn't see my repetitive swiping. So, if your diagnostician found enough evidence to diagnose you, the rest of the evidence doesn't need mentioning as much.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 1:58 pm

I guess one potential "repetative behaviour" I might have is that I'm always rubbing my eyebrow, especially when bored or stressed.

Worth noting that the report does have a section on "Alternative diagnoses considered", which lists Social Communications Disorder there. But that's only five lines in a four page report, so I'm thinking that means that he considered it and ruled it out.

Aspburges1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2017, 7:38 am

Hi all, I'm new here.

I'm a 31 year old male from Australia, but am currently living in Germany. I was diagnosed with ASD (Level 1) several months ago.

I have struggled with PTSD, Anxiety and Depression since I've been an adult.
Lately, I have been coming off SSRI medication after almost 3 years and It's been a struggle.

I live in a share house (for the first time in 10 years) and it certainly adds to my anxiety.
Living with a housemate who is unhygienic and also allows her boyfriend to live here half the time without notice.

I joined this website because I need a place to vent my growing hatred and anxiety.

EC0508
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jul 2017, 12:36 pm

Aspburges1 wrote:
Hi all, I'm new here.

I'm a 31 year old male from Australia, but am currently living in Germany. I was diagnosed with ASD (Level 1) several months ago.

I have struggled with PTSD, Anxiety and Depression since I've been an adult.
Lately, I have been coming off SSRI medication after almost 3 years and It's been a struggle.

I live in a share house (for the first time in 10 years) and it certainly adds to my anxiety.
Living with a housemate who is unhygienic and also allows her boyfriend to live here half the time without notice.

I joined this website because I need a place to vent my growing hatred and anxiety.

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I just recently joined myself. That definitely is rough about your living situation, and coming off of SSRIs. It's difficult readjusting to medications, but I hope that you are tapering off appropriately and not going cold turkey? I would struggle being in your current living situation, but I guess that's why we can all visit this planet here to vent and find a comforting place. Keep pushing through it! There are definitely people out there who care. :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 1:19 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

alex
Developer
Developer

06 Jul 2017, 3:07 pm

HI!