Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 10:27 am

the_phoenix wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Both sides are going to stupid extremes.

All this "tat for tat" is useless. On both sides. The least common denominator is becoming more "least."

We have to raise the level of the political dialogue---otherwise, we're going to the dogs.

You seem to think there's moral equivalence here.
There isn't.

Tell me more about Mr Trump's moral rectitude.

Image doesn't seem to want to work.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 11:13 am

I just don't get why people like Trump so much.

I wouldn't have minded somebody, say, like Colin Powell in the White House.

The political dialogue is already to the dogs.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 11:45 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
25th Amendment?
Bill to create panel that could remove Trump from office quietly picks up Democratic support
Quote:
For months, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and other Democratic leaders have privately counseled their more militant members to forswear talk of impeaching President Trump, telling them the political support for such a step simply doesn’t exist in the GOP-controlled Congress.

But 25 House Democrats, including the ranking member of the House Judiciary Committee, are now pushing an equally radical alternative: They are backing a bill that would create a congressional “oversight” commission that could declare the president incapacitated, leading to his removal from office under the 25th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Perfect time for it but that is not how the amendment works. The cabinet has got to say he is incapable. Pence has got to sign something saying he is incapable. Pence is President at that point. Even if that happens all Trump has to do is sign a paper saying I am capable then he is President again. Then two-thirds of both houses have to say he is incapable then Trump is out. Not likely.

Correction:
The 25th amendment is a fantasy
Apparently, this proposed committee might be legal. The amendment has language stating that "such other body as Congress may by law provide.” can find that a President is incapacitated. The current bill proposing this "body" calls for an “Oversight Commission on Presidential Capacity.” which “would be a nonpartisan panel appointed by congressional leaders composed of four physicians, four psychiatrists and three others — such as former presidents, vice presidents or other former senior U.S. government officials.” to determine if Trump is incapacitated. However apparently Pence can nix the determination. Even if Pence agrees with the determination to remove Trump two-thirds majority of both houses to need to agree. Unlike the linked article, I used a lot of caveats. That is because in the unlikely events all of these things happen every one of them will be challenged in court.

Impeachment and conviction which is still very unlikely are much less difficult. You need a majority of the House to impeach and a two-thirds majority of the Senate to convict.

Trump voters you got him elected. Resistance leaders your strategy to get him to completely meltdown looks like it might be working. Like it or not we are all going to to have to live (I hope) with the consequences of your decisions until at least 2021.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 03 Jul 2017, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 12:28 pm

NPR just reported that the video appears to have originated on thedonald Reddit, from a known bigot.

I liked this analysis, having been a pro wrestling fan as a boy.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/02/politics/ ... index.html

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 4:02 pm

There Are Four Lights!

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jul 2017, 7:03 pm

Darmok wrote:

Yeah, that our President is a cyberbully and that a big chunk of this country are cyberbullies, too (hence why Hillary wasn't wrong with her "deplorables" comment. The only problem is that she said it).

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 7:07 pm

DevilInPgh wrote:
Darmok wrote:

Yeah, that our President is a cyberbully and that a big chunk of this country are cyberbullies, too (hence why Hillary wasn't wrong with her "deplorables" comment. The only problem is that she said it).

+1

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 7:34 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Apparently, this video appeared on Reddit and Trump retweeted it.

Yesterday he threatened to sue them.

As most of us Autistics have found out the hard way when bullies get rewarded they escalate. Trump is the most rewarded bully in America at the moment with no sign of it ending and he knows it. He knows everybody is going to yell and scream and but no serious effort will be made to remove him because he is still a ticket to the conservative agenda being implemented and Republican congressmen fear the wrath of his voters.

Yeah, I know the quality of cable news "journalism" is crap these days but Trump is doing the impossible, making these multi-billion dollar corporations almost sympathetic.

25th Amendment?
Bill to create panel that could remove Trump from office quietly picks up Democratic support
Quote:
For months, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and other Democratic leaders have privately counseled their more militant members to forswear talk of impeaching President Trump, telling them the political support for such a step simply doesn’t exist in the GOP-controlled Congress.

But 25 House Democrats, including the ranking member of the House Judiciary Committee, are now pushing an equally radical alternative: They are backing a bill that would create a congressional “oversight” commission that could declare the president incapacitated, leading to his removal from office under the 25th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Perfect time for it but that is not how the amendment works. The cabinet has got to say he is incapable. Pence has got to sign something saying he is incapable. Pence is President at that point. Even if that happens all Trump has to do is sign a paper saying I am capable then he is President again. Then two-thirds of both houses have to say he is incapable then Trump is out. Not likely.

Careful or certain members who have reappeared on WP will take you to task for being down on bullies!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 7:39 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
Meanwhile, Caesar In the Park that TAX PAYERS pay for has a play about Trump being stabbed to death. Kathy Griffin held up a severed Trump head dripping with blood and that’s also no problem according to some on the Left. Then the GOP is practicing for a softball game as a fund raiser and a Bernie Sanders fan stakes them out and shoots them almost murdering Scalise. But that's okay too? As in, where is the outrage from the Left? Trump sends out a tweet with him wrestling with a LOGO and that Is VIOLENCE? LOL! The Liberals have no boundaries on their hypocrisy and totally jumped the shark.

The very same theater company had done the Julius Caesar play with an Obama look alike years ago, but I hadn't heard a stink about that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 7:55 pm

It's all political satire. But Trump should stop wasting his time on Twitter, and start being a President. He should rise above all the criticism. He should take the high road. When he does criticize someone else, it will have more of an effect, because he went about it in a classy way.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 8:10 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:
Meanwhile, Caesar In the Park that TAX PAYERS pay for has a play about Trump being stabbed to death. Kathy Griffin held up a severed Trump head dripping with blood and that’s also no problem according to some on the Left. Then the GOP is practicing for a softball game as a fund raiser and a Bernie Sanders fan stakes them out and shoots them almost murdering Scalise. But that's okay too? As in, where is the outrage from the Left? Trump sends out a tweet with him wrestling with a LOGO and that Is VIOLENCE? LOL! The Liberals have no boundaries on their hypocrisy and totally jumped the shark.

The very same theater company had done the Julius Caesar play with an Obama look alike years ago, but I hadn't heard a stink about that.

Deport Shakespeare!

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 10:18 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:

I don't remember hearing about the Julius Caesar play with an Obama look alike.
That was just as wrong as having a Trump look alike.
I'm surprised either version of the play was funded with taxpayer money.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 10:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's all political satire. But Trump should stop wasting his time on Twitter, and start being a President. He should rise above all the criticism. He should take the high road. When he does criticize someone else, it will have more of an effect, because he went about it in a classy way.

Your criticism of Trump is duly noted.
Do you consider your criticism to be wasting time posting on an Internet forum?
You'd think that people who don't want President Trump's agenda to succeed
would want him to waste time on Twitter.
Unless, his being on Twitter is far more effective than his enemies want.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 11:33 pm

I'd rather see Trump be Presidential than frolicking on Twitter.

I'd rather see a real debate than the President Tweeting about "Fake News" or whatever. I wish he'd stop trying to stifle the free exchange of ideas.

I wish the Press would stop being blooming idiots, too.

I long for the old days when the dialogue was more classy.

Maybe even at the level of the Reagan years.

Perhaps, then, Trump will "learn at the job," rather than posting paranoiac tweets in the dead of night.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 11:43 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
You'd think that people who don't want President Trump's agenda to succeed
would want him to waste time on Twitter.
Unless, his being on Twitter is far more effective than his enemies want.

I prefer he stays on twitter, the more he derails his own agenda with unforced errors and antics the better. NEVER take away his twitter, ever. 6 months in and all he has is his twitter account-- no major legislation passed, a few handfuls of useless executive orders and he's thrown his entire party into disarray. In fact, he should be encouraged to express himself even more on that medium as far as I'm concerned.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 12:10 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:

Deport Shakespeare!

Do that, and you'll have Lit students all over the country up in arms! :lol: