The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
Fingers in the Sparkle Jar by Chris Packham
Hubert by Ben Gijsemans
Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison
The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd
The Autistic Brain by Temple Grandin
Rubbernecker by Belinda Bauer
The Spark by Kristine Barnett

What are people's thoughts? Generally a positive list emphasizing the skills and joys of autism, but a bit too heavy on the 'Asperger's detective hero' cliche perhaps? Hubert sounds most interesting - a graphic novel. I couldn't get past the first two chapters of The Rosie Project (I hated that the main character couldn't tell that he was an Aspie when it was so obvious...).

No Sci-fi or fantasy sadly! :alien: :alien:

Here to be in the wider world of autism. Fascinated in the link between autism and the fantastical genres. Delve in with me on YouTube: The Fantastic Autistic https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKFGHLYnAPrz_XGAodX8vAQ

Let's talk on Twitter: @Fantastic_Aut

Radiance in Dailiness :)

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 3:55 am

I haven't personally looked at any of these, but I hope that they put the message across that autism has a spectrum and there are many points all along that spectrum upon which someone may be autistic but in differently affected levels.

I think it's important to educate everyone that there is no one "autism" and that there are both strengths and impairments to the functioning of people at all levels.

GreenAsparagus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jul 2017, 5:57 am

I tell my friends to read The Rosie Project, which despite being an over the top comedy, does show how my thought process goes.

delphirabbit
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jul 2017, 10:02 am

GreenAsparagus - good point. Maybe I should give it another try

Here to be in the wider world of autism. Fascinated in the link between autism and the fantastical genres. Delve in with me on YouTube: The Fantastic Autistic https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKFGHLYnAPrz_XGAodX8vAQ

Let's talk on Twitter: @Fantastic_Aut

Radiance in Dailiness :)