Why do you think a relationship will make you happy?

Page 21 of 27 [ 422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 27  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 1:13 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Maybe she is into cross-dressing.

Seriously not a big deal. :roll:

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 1:22 pm

Ah see now you've been with the wrong kind of women then. My friend that relates to these comics isn't at all materialistic. I've known her most of my life. She's more the outdoors type and she and her husband enjoy talking about interesting things and visiting interesting places.

There's the mundane everydayness to relationships too. I know it's not all like this every day, but I'm not ever going to be the pressuring someone to be a person they are not type of girlfriend, so won't have the same problems you did.

My cousin did a sweet thing for his girlfriend the other day and she posted it on facebook. My friend that I actually fancied a few years back, but who married someone else does post cute things on Instagram about their little outings too. I've got another couple of friends who post their outings as well. He does a menial job and she does odd jobs here and there and they are very happy. Some men are romantic and some women like that. Some women are not materialistic and as a couple she and her husband achieve a comfortable level of togetherness.

Relationships aren't all fighting and people telling each other they're not good enough.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 1:24 pm

Oh I'm at peace with people, just waiting to figure out how we all pulled that off.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 1:24 pm

Another person cannot make us happy. Being in a relationship can be nice but ultimately happiness is something we have to achieve on our own. If you have a void inside your soul, another person is not going to fill it. One must find a way to fill the void........

SilverBoltsisWmax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2017, 1:36 pm

guitarman2010 wrote:
Another person cannot make us happy. Being in a relationship can be nice but ultimately happiness is something we have to achieve on our own. If you have a void inside your soul, another person is not going to fill it. One must find a way to fill the void........

I refuse to believe this. And the main reason why is myself. I think something we need to consider is to not put ourselves in the same box with others. I read a post about a woman who was autistic and juse being in the same room as her other not touching or talking to each other was fulfilling to her. Think about how others would view that, just sitting in a chair across the room from her other is enough for her. Most people say that's wierd that's not fulfilling at all. But the funny part is for me and a few others I know that's amazing, it actually feels good can't explain why but it does.

When you consider how our minds work it's not too far off to see an actual relationship with someone MIGHT fill the void for us.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 1:49 pm

guitarman2010 wrote:

I don't think that any one thing has the power to make us completely happy. The nature of life is that it's made up of millions of tiny moments and interactions. All of those things make up our life and cause us to feel all sorts of emotions, but I think that a relationship adds another dimension to life otherwise why would people bother.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 1:53 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Ah see now you've been with the wrong kind of women then. My friend that relates to these comics isn't at all materialistic. I've known her most of my life. She's more the outdoors type and she and her husband enjoy talking about interesting things and visiting interesting places.

There's the mundane everydayness to relationships too. I know it's not all like this every day, but I'm not ever going to be the pressuring someone to be a person they are not type of girlfriend, so won't have the same problems you did.

My cousin did a sweet thing for his girlfriend the other day and she posted it on facebook. My friend that I actually fancied a few years back, but who married someone else does post cute things on Instagram about their little outings too. I've got another couple of friends who post their outings as well. He does a menial job and she does odd jobs here and there and they are very happy. Some men are romantic and some women like that. Some women are not materialistic and as a couple she and her husband achieve a comfortable level of togetherness.

Relationships aren't all fighting and people telling each other they're not good enough.

I am willing to bet my custom built acoustic, that in all of these relationships you described, the men earn more than their partner, and of course they get no complaints then..

The common theme in all of what is deemed romantic in our society, is male sacrifice. The man has to sacrifice his possesions, time, money and sometimes his life, and it's simply what us men are supposed to do, without being allowed to ask any questions.

The sad thing is when it doesn't even work. I have had friends who sacrificed far more than I ever did, and their girls ended up cheating on the anyways... So much for romance.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 2:01 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

I am willing to bet my custom built acoustic, that in all of these relationships you described, the men earn more than their partner, and of course they get no complaints then..

The common theme in all of what is deemed romantic in our society, is male sacrifice. The man has to sacrifice his possesions, time, money and sometimes his life, and it's simply what us men are supposed to do, without being allowed to ask any questions.

The sad thing is when it doesn't even work. I have had friends who sacrificed far more than I ever did, and their girls ended up cheating on the anyways... So much for romance.

You talk as though all women only want to take and won't give anything in return.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 2:07 pm

Sabreclaw wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

You talk as though all women only want to take and won't give anything in return.

Well, that's been my experience, and what I see in my friends relationships aswell.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 2:11 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

That's a real shame. People can suck sometimes. I'm not going to deny that there are selfish women out there, that would be silly, but I do know some happy people, I also know some unhappy relationship people. I can understand why it is hard to trust. It's not like I'm so obsessed with a relationship that I haven't been discerning. I really really like that guy I met this year, but I was careful, I learned about him and realised that we are not compatible. I'm not bitter about it, we just move on and keep going.

The friend that loves the instagram account is earning more than her husband. He's trying to start his own business and it's a bit slow at the moment. She's the main breadwinner. It wprks for them. I spent some time with them last week and they were quite chipper.

Wait, back it up. You custom built and acoustic guitar?? From scratch or customised an existing guitar?

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 2:19 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

Well, that's been my experience, and what I see in my friends relationships aswell.

I'm sorry for your bad experiences, but you can't make sweeping generalizations based only on that. Of course there's plenty of women like that, but there's plenty of men like that too. You and your friends have been dealing with the wrong women.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 3:08 pm

hurtloam wrote:

Yeah. Where does the assumption come from that relationships are usually like that?

My parents were constantly at each other. Most other couples I saw were not. My SO and I RARELY argue. We just simply won't do it.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 3:23 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
I checked out the instagram, and it is filled to the brim with this kind of "unconditional love" crap, which again, does not reflect how reality works. It's no wonder hurtloam that you crave a relationship so much, if this is the kind of stuff you read. Some of us just know too much about how relationships work to believe in fairy tales.
I very much agree. There is no such thing as "unconditional love". The only beings capable of "unconditional love" are dogs and babies. But good luck promoting that truth on here. Disney, Inc. is laughing all the way to the bank.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 3:44 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:
I checked out the instagram, and it is filled to the brim with this kind of "unconditional love" crap, which again, does not reflect how reality works. It's no wonder hurtloam that you crave a relationship so much, if this is the kind of stuff you read. Some of us just know too much about how relationships work to believe in fairy tales.
I very much agree. There is no such thing as "unconditional love". The only beings capable of "unconditional love" are dogs and babies. But good luck promoting that truth on here. Disney, Inc. is laughing all the way to the bank.

Wrong. There is such thing as unconditional love. I know that for sure. :mrgreen:

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 4:06 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:

Disney doesn't promote unconditional love. All the relationships are pretty shallow. Who wants that? Disney isn't a good example of a nice dream. Its all fluffy girls and princes who often lie or don't do much of anything interesting. Yuck.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 4:15 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

That's a real shame. People can suck sometimes. I'm not going to deny that there are selfish women out there, that would be silly, but I do know some happy people, I also know some unhappy relationship people. I can understand why it is hard to trust. It's not like I'm so obsessed with a relationship that I haven't been discerning. I really really like that guy I met this year, but I was careful, I learned about him and realised that we are not compatible. I'm not bitter about it, we just move on and keep going.

The friend that loves the instagram account is earning more than her husband. He's trying to start his own business and it's a bit slow at the moment. She's the main breadwinner. It wprks for them. I spent some time with them last week and they were quite chipper.

Wait, back it up. You custom built and acoustic guitar?? From scratch or customised an existing guitar?

I'm gonna have to back out of my bet then..
No, I payed someone to, I don't know how to build guitars, only how to play them.