Quitting med school after 4.5 years

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ticky
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jul 2017, 2:51 am

I'm bummed. I finished 4.5 out of 6 years of med school (Europe) and I just can't seem to go on any longer. I've been taking long breaks between semesters, but it hasn't helped. All these years I've been living a nightmare. And to top it off, I don't get any degree after 4.5 years, not even a bachelor's degree. So I'm old, with no degree after having studied the equivalent of over 6 years at uni (including physics, languages, IT courses, etc.), and 0 work experience. And all this on top of a sh***y autistic life! Need I say how worthless I feel? Does anyone else have a partially completed education and managed to do something with it?

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 7:23 pm

I spent one year in Communications and Media (out of 5), two years in International Relations (out of 4) and now I'm at my third year of Architecture and Urban Planing (out of 5) and I wanted to quit but I'm afraid for the same reasons, I feel old, unexperienced and I have no degree from all this time I spent at university.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 9:50 pm

I'm bummed. I finished 4.5 out of 6 years of med school (Europe) and I just can't seem to go on any longer. I've been taking long breaks between semesters, but it hasn't helped. All these years I've been living a nightmare. And to top it off, I don't get any degree after 4.5 years, not even a bachelor's degree. So I'm old, with no degree after having studied the equivalent of over 6 years at uni (including physics, languages, IT courses, etc.), and 0 work experience. And all this on top of a sh***y autistic life! Need I say how worthless I feel? Does anyone else have a partially completed education and managed to do something with it?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

yeah, 5th undergrad year @ UCSD, flunked out of a BS program in Structural Engineering.

did not do anything with it.

only had minimum wage jobs afterward.

jobs where there requirements are that you are over 18, have 2 forms of ID, know the numbers 0-9, and know the letters a-z.

literally speaking, i have work experience. just not much. and not difficult jobs. and got fired. (rolls eyes)

yeah, even over 10 years after flunking structural engineering, still feel ashamed, academically stupid, financially worthless.

but whatever.

anyways yeah. a community college professor. instructor. told me that everyone is worthless. "you think george bush is not worthless?". (former united states president, at the time. george bush).

actually, that is a really good point.

granted, i am academically stupid, vocationally incompetent, socially awkward, emotionally immature, and functionally useless.

big deal.

who cares?

what makes people that are vocationally competent worthwhile? valuable?

a medical degree is a job skill. not a moral quality.

having no job skills (such as myself), is not a choice or a felony.

the way i think of it, now that i am a ripe old 34 years old. is that.

academic intelligence is a job skill. just like physical strength is a job skill. and i have neither job skill.

big deal.

likewise, i am not morally inferior to someone academically smart(er than me).

likewise i ain't morally inferior to someone physically strong(er than me).

:twisted:

yeah i know that's hard to take in. emotionally.

my older sister is a medical doctor. and i am nobody and nothing.

when i was young my precious lil "parents" used to ask me why i was not just like my sister.

oh well

hey, life goes on.

with or without a medical degree.

besides, just b/c someone gets a medical degree does not mean they live happily ever after.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 10:03 pm

I actually got my degree in English (was considering being a teacher), but ended up working in web development for about five years after college before I got fed up with the industry and burned out by the location I was in, so I moved back to my hometown and started doing small-scale/high-quality horticulture. It pays s**t, and it's hard labor that's starting to wear my body down a decade later, but it's still better than having to deal with the social ridiculousness called an 'office job'.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 6:25 pm

Well, you guys aren't as bad as me. I have NO schooling after high school and am 29 and hardly any work experience in ANYTHING and only some volunteer experience. That's why I'm focusing on being an author; I had time to work really hard on my books. I don't NEED fame or fortune, though that'd be nice, I just want to get it out there for some people. Once I get out what I have to say I'll be able to focus on finding a job.

Maybe you all need to focus on getting out what you have to say about yourselves, that you're really very intelligent and caring underneath people's unfair assumptions about you. I know that was my problem.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 8:04 am

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
Well, you guys aren't as bad as me. I have NO schooling after high school and am 29 and hardly any work experience in ANYTHING and only some volunteer experience. That's why I'm focusing on being an author; I had time to work really hard on my books. Maybe you all need to focus on getting out what you have to say about yourselves, that you're really very intelligent and caring underneath people's unfair assumptions about you.

Society is already at a loose end over our assumptions that people can't drive themselves as a single species of creative manifestation when the likelihood is, as autistics, we have more social input and passion than any one of our democracies lesser namesakes. Being an author fascinates me, challenging the written word and contemplating life at a standstill is one of the many things life is about. If you move around fast all the time, your ego can't adapt to the world around you and before long you give up on all other resources that don't meet you expectations.
I actually went to college to try and better myself, and learn things and improve on stuff I couldn't before because I was never granted the opportunity. If I was a very bright pupil in languages for instance, I wouldn't go to uni to study it because I'd have a lifetime of debt, if I couldn't get a job to pay off the student loan. The amount of times my college used to say to me, I'd need to get one if I was doing one of their fascinating courses, just put me off even more. I associate debt with going to prison eventually, because you can never be bailed out if you're not from a rich background. I don't assocatie myself the way most workaholics do, as working and making money is utterly as decompressing as being forced fed into it. So, I'd either write an anthology one day, move away and spare time contemplating how I can improve my general awareness on things that make me unique so that i can blend into another place, all I feel right now where i am is that work makes money and time loses it.
There are no ethics for a cultural class system that can thrive on modern day rights and opportunities, like their face doesn't fit or they don't possess the right model attitude.
What I'd most like to do is get is get into a partnership with others out there on my political and autistic spectrum, and see if they can spread the word about employment and more voluntary opportunities, we're not societies fetish to eat and throw pity on like lost causes.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 9:13 pm

Well, you guys aren't as bad as me. I have NO schooling after high school and am 29 and hardly any work experience in ANYTHING and only some volunteer experience. That's why I'm focusing on being an author; I had time to work really hard on my books. I don't NEED fame or fortune, though that'd be nice, I just want to get it out there for some people. Once I get out what I have to say I'll be able to focus on finding a job.

Maybe you all need to focus on getting out what you have to say about yourselves, that you're really very intelligent and caring underneath people's unfair assumptions about you. I know that was my problem.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

it is not necessarily the more formal education the better. in particular, after the 2008 recession, it left a lot more people with Bachelors and advanced degrees, working at jobs that do not require degrees. or working part time when they want full time. or not working altogether. many college graduates and college dropouts have a lot of school loans. many default on school loans. defaulting on school loans causes a lot of long term problems.

yeah i have hardly any work experience either. got a couple minimum jobs. in the past. and precious lil "people" had the nerve to fire my worthless corpse.

what good did my degree do? nothing. BA, ucsd, cognitive science. big deal. not many jobs require that particular degree. some jobs require a degree and do not specify which one. for example, schoolteacher, and working in insurance.

but the teaching credential program requires a 2.67 gpa (out of 4.0) to even apply to and mine is only 2.189.

you could correctly twiddle your thumbs and point out the theory of multiple intelligences. (fine).

but seriously i got an IQ test and my IQ score was not high.

but whatever.

there is more to "life" than an IQ score.

besides, my sister's friend's brother went to public high school, community college. then 6 years, active duty. Air Force. then bachelors and masters. electrical engineering. then worked as an electrical engineer. then dropped dead. 33 years old.

so, all thing being equal, being academically smart is better than being academically stupid. (fine).

but academic intelligence only goes so far.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 7:43 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:

_____________________________________________________________________________________

it is not necessarily the more formal education the better. in particular, after the 2008 recession, it left a lot more people with Bachelors and advanced degrees, working at jobs that do not require degrees but academic intelligence only goes so far.

Although I and many others appreciate your grandiose input, I will however, challenge your brute sarcasm.
No future, doesn't necessarily mean no active focus in life, like not having staying power in one thing doesn't mean complete inactivity in the next. I'd like to think that the recession that most Brits suffered wasn't because of the banking crisis, that sparked off the recession that made families lose jobs and have limited means of next employment within an already tight flagging infrastructure that, hinders our industries and makes societies culture as a whole poorer.
I know that seclusion plays a forlorn part in passing with flying aerodrome colours in social sciences and without humanity we are all doomed. As for writing or gluing self preservating interest into an anthological or journalistic print goes, I'd prefer to keep some of my options open, so that i never run out of ideas if i do find myself burdened with the offset of dementia on causes i once rallied long and hard for whilst in education.
Adapting my needs to an environment that is neurotypical of well, everything and everybody, has i guess hardwired me into good stead should i be contemplating my next outcome with less than sparkling results.
At least I can ponder, pause, reflect and hinder on the possibility that one day my inhibitions will rise to just that.