Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Maire
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jul 2017, 8:04 am

Hi, desperate for any positive advice here.. I'm diagnosed Aspergers, little or no support, 2 kids both with autism, struggled with depression all my life, been on prescribed Citalopram (Celexa/Cipramil) for about 16yrs. Was, after slow build up, on maximum safe dose but now even that just keeps me 'treading water' - it just kept me stable and with even just a lower dose I'd crash. Now, recently, I have infact crashed. Still taking maximum safe dose of Citalopram but it's not helping and I'm 'sinking'. Very little help from my GP - I am in the UK- and I'm just searching online to try and find any clues as to what to do next. Every moment of every day & night is a massive crushing struggle, and I have two very needy kids to care for 24/7, so I have to be here for them. Any help?

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 5:44 pm

Any antidepressant can just suddenly quit working unexpectedly at any time. That is just the way it goes. Ask for a new antidepressant.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Jul 2017, 7:01 am

Noca wrote:
Any antidepressant can just suddenly quit working unexpectedly at any time. That is just the way it goes. Ask for a new antidepressant.
I 2nd this but it's also may be possible that there's things going on in your life that have gotten worse than they used to be. Talk to your doc or psych about the problems your having & wanting to try a different med but counseling may help to especially if things in your life have gotten worse.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

F84.9
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jul 2017, 1:46 pm

I'm really sorry to hear about your struggle,
I wish I could tell you something...
I know this may be silly advice, but try eat 'happy fruits'.
Like, seriously, buy frozen strawberries and make a strawberry-banana smoothies with milk (or almond milk) every day.
Like really, you must eat happy fruits, like they really help alot I think. Strawberries, blueberries, mmmmm they are really good, and oranges ! !! ! you must do this.

But also, aerobic exercise has been shown to alleviate depression, try that maybe? Like 2 to 3x a week maybe? 10 minutes at least for the first week, increase intensity and time slowly but surely.
Sorry I know it may be too much, but ...
Also talking to someone helps me alot...

I hope you can find your way. I'm sorry I hope my message isn't too demotivating, don't try too much at once, I know you already have alot of things to do in your life and it's very difficult.

But I'm sorry I don't know what it means to have depression for 16 years, I am not the most informed person about depression, but I do have some personal experience with it and I know it is extremely difficult... more than it's possible to put into words. Add to that the struggles of life, and one can only be humble.
I hope atleast that my message was of some use to you, or maybe gave at least a spark or an idea.

Wish you absolutely all the best

Blessings

F84.9

09 Jul 2017, 1:49 pm

Oh, but also, my friend takes products from company "TrueHope" (EMPower), and she says they are a life saver for her .
I strongly suggest you look it up, they can also talk to you personally from what she told me.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 4:34 am

Celexa never again gave me the high it gave me the first time I took it.

But it still works for me. But that's me.

Maybe you need a higher dose, maybe now your problem is a different neurotransmitter so they should try a SNRI or MAOI or something. (Celexa is a SSRI.)

But you also need to talk... did something change in your life for the worst? Or in your mind?

Dataunit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Nov 2017, 4:55 am

This is quite a common thing - it's called 'poop out', where psychotropic medication stops working.

Ask your doctor if you can switch to another antidepressant like Mirtazapine.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

Sleepycat001
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2018, 10:58 pm

I would quit that antidepressant and after a couple of days switch to 5-htp,it is a over the counter supplement and you only need to take it once every two or three days. It sounds difficult to raise two kids with depression but you are not a lone there are many single mothers who have terrible situations.