Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 7:10 pm

^ So the left are seen as the good guys and the right are seen as the bad guys. This is true in many social circles.

There are many other social circles where the left are seen as the good guys and the right are seen as the bad guys.

Both of these groups are very insular. Both of them are unlikely to even consider ideas from the other side. Go into a left wing dominated group and they'll say right wing ideas are evil and biggoted. Go into a right wing dominated group and they'll say left wing ideas are foolish and impractical.

Both the left and the right have their safe spaces. There are places where ideas are dismissed on the basis of where they come from.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 7:59 pm

^ The point here is that while I agree with what you added on, it only seems like the insularity on one side only reinforces the same on the other side and vice-versa. And what you said may usually be true on the inside of America, but it's true that the American (I know you're an aussie FTW) Hollywood-the media-academia have a more left-of-center bent. But, it shouldn't really be that way. I still know about some on the right (usually only social or religious conservatives) have more "old-fashioned" views about the movies and TV Hollywood sells us.

Believe me, I get tired of the herd mentality on one side or the other too, but what do you expect?

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 5:34 pm

Third-wave feminism makes me want to vomit. Chain myself to the stove and have another baby in protest. I consider myself an anti-feminist, just because their s**t has gotten ridiculous.

I can see the whole MRA thing being a reasonable reaction to third-wave feminism...

...but, pick a gender-neutral pronoun and they all sound the same. Leading me to conclude that MRAs are modern feminists, with penises.

Vomit on the lot.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 7:01 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
Third-wave feminism makes me want to vomit. Chain myself to the stove and have another baby in protest. I consider myself an anti-feminist, just because their s**t has gotten ridiculous.

I can see the whole MRA thing being a reasonable reaction to third-wave feminism...

...but, pick a gender-neutral pronoun and they all sound the same. Leading me to conclude that MRAs are modern feminists, with penises.

Vomit on the lot.

That's what I used to think until I learned that third wave feminism actually benefits men, by stating that we don't have to be stoic manly men who don't show emotions. Yes, there are some lunatics in the movement, but they're a vocal minority who get singled out by people who oppose feminism altogether. The majority simply want to get rid of gender roles, which I am cool with. Yes, men and women are different, but ultimately, we're all people. If a guy wants to stay at home, cook, and take care of the kids? Cool. If a girl wants to go out, drive trucks, fight fires, and work on construction projects? Also cool.

f**k tradition.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 7:54 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
BuyerBeware wrote:

Vomit on the lot.

That's what I used to think until I learned that third wave feminism actually benefits men, by stating that we don't have to be stoic manly men who don't show emotions. Yes, there are some lunatics in the movement, but they're a vocal minority who get singled out by people who oppose feminism altogether. The majority simply want to get rid of gender roles, which I am cool with. Yes, men and women are different, but ultimately, we're all people. If a guy wants to stay at home, cook, and take care of the kids? Cool. If a girl wants to go out, drive trucks, fight fires, and work on construction projects? Also cool.

f**k tradition.

LOL I thought that was common sense, not third-wave feminism. Wow. I guess my backward autistic hillbilly parents were ahead of their time...

And yes, I'm definitely all aboard for ditching rigidly defined gender roles all together. Another sack of putrid vomit, time to toss it in the trash.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 8:52 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
BuyerBeware wrote:

Vomit on the lot.

f**k tradition.

If this is true, I'm inclined to have a more mixed neutral view of third-wave feminism.

Though, there is still strange stuff going on, and it seems somewhat like men fell behind on equality and need to still "catch up" to where they were on par with women. One recent example I read about is how men are expected to have real sexual prowess or success with women. A virgin male is still seen by today's society as something that is broken. Yet, feminists seem weird in their demand to be able to be promiscuous with men without shame. Now, I'm all for being able to have many sexual partners without being shamed, but women should sometimes feel lucky that they can be virgins and not be seen as "uncool" in society.

This type of thinking produces people like Elliot Rodger.