Do people really talk less in Europe compared to America?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 11:15 am

^^^ smudge... same in West Yorkshire. Some people are positively evangelical in banging on about Brexit, immigration, etc etc. I feel like saying: "I'm sorry, you appear to have mistaken me for a racist, sexist, homophobic bigot... do I know you, by the way?"
Sometimes I worry that I must look like a bigot, which is why I seem to attract them.
Strangely, we seem to be hearing more American accents here lately. There were two in the coffee shop the other day. I said to Mrs Trueno... why would they want to come to a sh*thole like this?

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 11:23 am

Smudge -- exactly!! !

I'm in east London and what you describe is exactly what I experience daily. People are extraordinarily aggressive in their very personal questions around my area, and yes, in the first five minutes, right after mentioning the weather!!

People seem to be incredibly rude, personal and intrusive these days. That old polite English stereotype is a thing of the past. It's shocking to me constantly, actually.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 11:36 am

When I'm in the mood, I wouldn't mind getting into discussions with extraverted people in East London.

There are times when I just want to talk----but all I've encountered in England is shy reserve---in southeast London.

I'm a weird character LOL.

It's not like I'm this big guy LOL

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 16 Aug 2017, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 11:38 am

Trueno wrote:
^^^ smudge... same in West Yorkshire. Some people are positively evangelical in banging on about Brexit, immigration, etc etc. I feel like saying: "I'm sorry, you appear to have mistaken me for a racist, sexist, homophobic bigot... do I know you, by the way?"
Sometimes I worry that I must look like a bigot, which is why I seem to attract them.
Strangely, we seem to be hearing more American accents here lately. There were two in the coffee shop the other day. I said to Mrs Trueno... why would they want to come to a sh*thole like this?

I feel like saying that too. Thing is, if I said something like that to them, they would get pissed off (they don't voice it, they just go very quiet and moody). Same if I were to tell them I wasn't working. In fact, sometimes that question of what I do has been the second sentence they've said to me.

Maybe it is not so strange, the pound against the dollar decreased abruptly a couple of days before and after Brexit, and has stayed low. Now is the time for Americans to get the most bang for their buck, if they wanted to visit England. Despite my complaints about England these days, there are incredible places here to visit. There are also s**tholes like Newcastle.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 11:56 am

I agree.. there really are some amazing places to visit. But the weather is unpredictable at best (a frightfully British thing to say, but true nonetheless)

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 11:59 am

Kraftie, all these "discussions" I'm finding thrust upon me are actually too much for me; they are seriously impacting my mental and even my physical health.

If I wanted these I would take myself to a place where people expect to find conversation -- bars, clubs, social groups, etc.

But what is so violating, for me, is that I go to this park specifically to get quiet time with strictly animal life. I sit alone and feed birds. I monitor these birds, film them, take notes, take photos, and I even report ID rings in to the British Trust for Ornithology.

But most of all, I love to just "be" with those birds. They actually gather around me and I find it the most extraordinarily healing experience in the world.

People interrupt and disturb this. I have even told some people this is what I come here to do, but they still decide they are going to stand there and talk my head off because this park is the "Cheers" bar to them.

If I wanted all these chatty discussion, I would BE in a bar.

I'm in a forest park sitting away from people and not signaling I want to join in the social scene, but they thrust themselves upon me like it's not allowed to be alone.

It's not on. If I want to seek out conversation there ARE places to expect it.

But I'm being subjected to this stuff in a place where it used to be that people respected someone's privacy or alone time.

Last edited by BirdInFlight on 16 Aug 2017, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 12:01 pm

Birdie, I do get what you mean.

Remember when I stated that you should "sic" the birds on those folks? LOL

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 12:08 pm

Actually, funny thing -- last week a couple were standing there talking to me and a swan who happens to be a good friend of mine kept giving them the eye. He was sitting beside me staring at them menacingly. One of them said "Oh....I bet that swan would attack us if we come any closer to this woman. . ." :lol:

I need to train him to attack at just "hello" lol! Just kidding. .. kinda. . .