Sex Discrimination or justified anti-Harrassement measure?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 11:32 pm

Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Where I live, since the refugee crisis, I've been seeing this rule in pools and other sea activities:

I dunno what incidents may have happened to make those owners to put a such rules, but does it help to suspect any guys-only groups? is it justified?
What if one only has male friends or male siblings?

There is discrimination but there is reasonable discrimination and unreasonable discrimination...or discrimination without just cause.

For example, preventing severely obese person from boarding a helicopter, because it would put the helicopter over the weight limit and would prevent it from flying safely, would be reasonable or just discrimination. Refusing a job to someone because of their race, and you just don't like people of their race, would be unreasonable or unjust discrimination.

Barring only all male groups from these facilities is discrimination. The question is, is it unreasonable or unjust discrimination? I understand there have been incidents in Europe of groups of refugee men who are not familiar with western culture, harassing and assaulting women. Perhaps this was a problem at these places. Though personally I think it would have been better to allow groups of men but have a zero tolerance policy for harassment.

This is the same as banning black men from an event cause there were some incidents of black men harassing people in the past. Most if not all people would say that's clearly wrongful discrimination. But somehow banning all men who don't have gfs isn't. 0.o
But do they have descrimination laws where this happen? If in the us if file a lawsuit.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 12:28 am

Chronos wrote:
There is discrimination but there is reasonable discrimination and unreasonable discrimination...or discrimination without just cause.

I like your thinking...

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 12:49 am

sly279 wrote:
Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Where I live, since the refugee crisis, I've been seeing this rule in pools and other sea activities:

I dunno what incidents may have happened to make those owners to put a such rules, but does it help to suspect any guys-only groups? is it justified?
What if one only has male friends or male siblings?

For example, preventing severely obese person from boarding a helicopter, because it would put the helicopter over the weight limit and would prevent it from flying safely, would be reasonable or just discrimination. Refusing a job to someone because of their race, and you just don't like people of their race, would be unreasonable or unjust discrimination.

Barring only all male groups from these facilities is discrimination. The question is, is it unreasonable or unjust discrimination? I understand there have been incidents in Europe of groups of refugee men who are not familiar with western culture, harassing and assaulting women. Perhaps this was a problem at these places. Though personally I think it would have been better to allow groups of men but have a zero tolerance policy for harassment.

This is the same as banning black men from an event cause there were some incidents of black men harassing people in the past. Most if not all people would say that's clearly wrongful discrimination. But somehow banning all men who don't have gfs isn't. 0.o
But do they have descrimination laws where this happen? If in the us if file a lawsuit.

Most people would say that is wrongful discrimination, and in the example you provided, I would agree. The demographic of black men is a culturally and genetically diverse group of people who have little in common other than a common heritage, their outward appearance and their sex.

But if we reduce the situation to X demographic where X demographic can be any demographic, we can then better address the question of whether or not discrimination against that demographic is justifiable or not.

For example, if we said X demographic was banned from having a drivers license, it's discrimination, but is it unreasonable?

If we let X = a race, or a sex, or a religion, or people with freckles, and so on, then yes, it's unreasonable because there's nothing inherent about those demographics that would cause the members of said demographics to be unsafe drivers.

If we let X = people with uncontrolled epilepsy, or narcolepsy, or blind people, or five year olds, or a history of causing fatal accidents while driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, then it doesn't sound very unreasonable to withhold drivers licenses from them.

But anyway, it's a moot point because the ban on groups of men encompasses half the human population and is too broad to justify in any manner in my opinion. As I previously said, I think the groups of men should be allowed and harassers should be banned.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 4:24 am

@Chronos

I don't think it should be all men, but the reason they are having to label all men is because they fear racially profiling men of Arabic descent over the incidents that are becoming rife in pools where countries have welcomed migrants and refugees.

So what I see is wrongful discrimination in order to assert a justified anti-harassment measure.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 5:05 am

Yeah, pointless post...
Please ignore...

Last edited by Pepe on 07 Jul 2017, 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 5:13 am

Yeah,no worries man.
I think people get that. Boo and others just trying to figure out the motivation behind the decision and if it is just.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 6:00 am

"Male ego" gets activated among other men?

Man 1: "Are you someone's b***h or a man?"

Man 2: "Man".

Man 1: "OK. So go and [do something stupid]".

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 2:27 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
@Chronos

I don't think it should be all men, but the reason they are having to label all men is because they fear racially profiling men of Arabic descent over the incidents that are becoming rife in pools where countries have welcomed migrants and refugees.

So what I see is wrongful discrimination in order to assert a justified anti-harassment measure.

How rife? Do incidents involving migrants differ from incidents involving natives in some way we can't discuss? Saying "have become" assigns no cause.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 4:33 pm

This is becoming universal in all pools in my country (look under Fine Print tab):

https://makhsoom.com/lb/deals/Rio-Lento-WaterparkPass

https://makhsoom.com/lb/deals/pool-beac ... -de-byblos

And here the rule sounds funny:

https://makhsoom.com/lb/deals/Beach-Pool-Pass-Oceana

"Cool guys alone are not allowed"

:lol: So a group of geek guys would be allowed?

Well, I guess I should keep begging and bribing my sister to accompany me; because some f**ktard idiots f****d things up.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 4:43 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Well, I guess I should keep begging and bribing my sister to accompany me;

That's bound to hamper your game...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 9:25 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Do incidents involving migrants differ from incidents involving natives in some way we can't discuss?

Simple answer is yes...
But I can't discuss it because of section 18c of the racial discrimination act 1975 here in Australia... :mrgreen:

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
This is becoming universal in all pools in my country (look under Fine Print tab):

https://makhsoom.com/lb/deals/Rio-Lento-WaterparkPass

https://makhsoom.com/lb/deals/pool-beac ... -de-byblos

And here the rule sounds funny:

https://makhsoom.com/lb/deals/Beach-Pool-Pass-Oceana

"Cool guys alone are not allowed"

:lol: So a group of geek guys would be allowed?

Well, I guess I should keep begging and bribing my sister to accompany me; because some f**ktard idiots f****d things up.

Regarding the first 2 links, unless you are so obese you are considered a "group", you could go by yourself, or one at a time if you are with other male friends...

Regarding link 3, this might be a response against the principle/tactic I suggested above... :mrgreen:

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 1:33 pm

Pepe wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Do incidents involving migrants differ from incidents involving natives in some way we can't discuss?

Simple answer is yes...
But I can't discuss it because of section 18c of the racial discrimination act 1975 here in Australia... :mrgreen:

If the problem has become widespread in Lebanon concurrently with an influx of Syrians, that leads to some more complicated questions that an alleged culture clash.

The situation also leads to heightened awareness. The groups of young men behave differently, because of their experiences as refugees or cultural differences or some other factors, but locals also have heightened sensitivity.

I don't want to see a rush to judgment, particularly a covert one using coded language.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 2:04 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

Definitely a factor, even when couched in more sophisticated language.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 11:28 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Never seen that in groups of men I've been in.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 11:42 pm

sly279 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Never seen that in groups of men I've been in.

Not all men direct it at women.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 2:40 am

TheSpectrum wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
It seems more reasonable to a couple of posters, calling it taharrush rather than sexual harassment? You'd nod approvingly if the policy applied to men in general? Or does it seem like a more reasonable policy if applied to certain men?

You're manufacturing an argument here.

I am of the impression this is an anti-harassment measure because of taharrush, and to be PC it is being applied to men in general. If it must apply to all men in general, so be it. I at no point legitimised or endorsed the idea of using such a preventative measure to exclude certain ethnic minorities.

'taharush' means harassment; and since WP is an English forum and English doesn't lack a word for it; then you can simply use the word harassment instead.