Friend moving on with his life

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 2:02 pm

Hi:
I had a close friend of the opposite sex who I have known for 12 years and he has struggled to find his niche for many years. He also has Aspergers and struggled to not only make connections with other people friend and romantic-wise. He had wanted to get married and have children and has been alone for a long time. Most recently, he finally found the perfect spot for that niche by getting a new career and moving to the outskirts of our city. Not only does he live an hour from me but there is little to no public transit to get up there to see him.

He recently joined a new church and has seemed to have more luck than ever before in connecting with other people and has even made some new friends there. Moreover, he has finally started dating and since he hasn't seemed to have time for several friends including me. Just about everytime we invite himself to something, he either is busy with his family or has a date.

He even said that we could get together with him for the fourth to swim, do a cook-out and have and see fireworks. Those plans fell through as most people had other plans while others didn't want to drive anyone up to his area. When I texted the group to that that we couldn't make it, my friend didn't sound too sad. I got
"That's okay, I have a date anyway."

I thought that he was our friend

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 5:10 am

I know it hurts to lose a friend but if he can improve his life than you can too. There's hope for us all.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 8:09 am

I have a pretty amazing life which is already improved. It's just that I have been going through a time of friends dropping out of my life and moving onto other things which has happened for three and a half years.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 12:53 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Hi:
I had a close friend of the opposite sex who I have known for 12 years and he has struggled to find his niche for many years. He also has Aspergers and struggled to not only make connections with other people friend and romantic-wise. He had wanted to get married and have children and has been alone for a long time. Most recently, he finally found the perfect spot for that niche by getting a new career and moving to the outskirts of our city. Not only does he live an hour from me but there is little to no public transit to get up there to see him.

He recently joined a new church and has seemed to have more luck than ever before in connecting with other people and has even made some new friends there. Moreover, he has finally started dating and since he hasn't seemed to have time for several friends including me. Just about everytime we invite himself to something, he either is busy with his family or has a date.

He even said that we could get together with him for the fourth to swim, do a cook-out and have and see fireworks. Those plans fell through as most people had other plans while others didn't want to drive anyone up to his area. When I texted the group to that that we couldn't make it, my friend didn't sound too sad. I got
"That's okay, I have a date anyway."

I thought that he was our friend

He is your friend but most friendships expand and contract. People go off and meet new people and try new things and sometimes they remain distant and sometimes they eventually become close again.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 6:11 am

I have been feeling better since the 4th of July and though I didn't confront him, I said I am happy for but miss him because he's not only seeing someone but also because he lives a long distance away. I also explained I circle of friends had seemed to keep disappearing since 2014. He didn't say much in the text but said that he had to go because he was meeting his girlfriend for a date the night before the 4th. I had not heard anything since.

I decided that to give him some room at the moment because his girlfriend is obviously his world and if anything, the ball is in his court. He knows how to reach me and I will leave it at that.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 12:43 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I have been feeling better since the 4th of July and though I didn't confront him, I said I am happy for but miss him because he's not only seeing someone but also because he lives a long distance away. I also explained I circle of friends had seemed to keep disappearing since 2014. He didn't say much in the text but said that he had to go because he was meeting his girlfriend for a date the night before the 4th. I had not heard anything since.

I decided that to give him some room at the moment because his girlfriend is obviously his world and if anything, the ball is in his court. He knows how to reach me and I will leave it at that.

There are differences between the ways males and females tend to approach friendships, which may be at play here. Males tend to prefer to socialize with friends of the same sex in groups. Females tend to prefer to socialize with friends of the same sex one on one. Females often "attach" to a particular friend and engage in what I would call "friend guarding". When I had first started at university, there were very few females in my program. There were a small handful, most of whom had known each other for a few years. This one girl always had girl at her side who rarely spoke, and seemed to resent any attempt by other girls to socialize with her friend.

Though your friend is of the opposite sex, perhaps you are socializing with him in this particular female manner, and this is foreign to him, because males typically do not attach to their friends in this manner. Additionally, when males develop romantic relationships, these relationships typically take precedent over their friendships.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 12:58 am

Chronos speaks truth, I can attest to that last part. Two friends of mine, I have had most of my life pretty much dip out when they get romantic relationships. Every single time, and to go one further when I was in a romantic relationship I pretty much dipped out on them.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 8:37 am

This male friend is also on the spectrum and has struggled with make friends and find someone himself on many times. His priority is to get settle down, get married and become a father. He has wanted a daughter for the longest time as well. Why he was so lonely, he kept hinting that we have sex or at least foreplay.

Regarding the one on one bonding, he's been okay with it in the past though it's always been rather awkward. Now that you mention it, he does better in a group of people rather than one on one. For example, The last time I saw him was on Christmas when he came over to my house because we were going to meet another guy friend of his who bailed on us both because he was going to his sisters. So, he watched two movies with me but he didn't really seem to be all that excited to be over or really to see me for that manner. I felt like he was more interested in seeing his male buddy and just inviting me to tag along and when that didn't work out, he was just stuck with me. Again, he had tried to use me for sex though he was talking about seeing some girl at his church.