Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2017, 7:30 pm

I have never understood what is so harmful about marijuana and why we lock people up for having an ounce of it. I think it should be legal everywhere. Studies have shown that it is better for you than alcohol. Marijuana has been known to treat anxiety and depression, prevent cancer, treat cancer patients, alleviate pain, and a whole bunch of other benefits. It is just a plant. I don't understand why we send people to jail over a plant. There are plenty of other crimes that cops should be investigating instead of searching someone for a bag of weed. If weed was legal the opioid epidemic would decline, crime would go down, and the government could find a way to tax it. People are still going to find a way to smoke it even when it is illegal. It is so stupid that our government won't legalize it or allow people to use it for medical purposes.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 10:52 pm

MSBKyle wrote:
I have never understood what is so harmful about marijuana and why we lock people up for having an ounce of it. I think it should be legal everywhere. Studies have shown that it is better for you than alcohol. Marijuana has been known to treat anxiety and depression, prevent cancer, treat cancer patients, alleviate pain, and a whole bunch of other benefits. It is just a plant. I don't understand why we send people to jail over a plant. There are plenty of other crimes that cops should be investigating instead of searching someone for a bag of weed. If weed was legal the opioid epidemic would decline, crime would go down, and the government could find a way to tax it. People are still going to find a way to smoke it even when it is illegal. It is so stupid that our government won't legalize it or allow people to use it for medical purposes.

Why it's criminalized and alcohol isn't is an issue of politics. However as to what's harmful about it...

It tends to make people emotionally unavailable, cause them to forgo responsibilities, and be dismissive of others, and this can have a number of serious consequences on social relationships. It can also cause apathy, which can have devastating effects for teenagers and young adult, who can't afford to be apathetic and who should really focus on getting on their feet in life.

It contains psychogenic compounds, which I have heard can worsen schizophrenia or similar psychotic and psychotic like conditions, and it may negatively impact male fertility.

My experiences with those who smoke marijuana regularly and frequently have generally been negative and I don't care to associate with such people. I had a neighbor, however, who was an exception, but he was a rare exception. Despite his frequent use, it never impeded him in his responsibilities or impaired his consideration for others. I think this was largely because he only smoked it when he had no other obligations. He was not one of those people who smoked it like some people do cigarettes.

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2017, 2:20 am

You should just treat pot like alcohol. You shouldn't drive when you are stoned and you should use it in moderation. It is not the government's job to decide what we put in our bodies. This is part of the reason why many young people are dying from heroin. If you legalize pot the heroin death rates would decline. There has never been a death or an overdose from marijuana.

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2017, 2:33 am

In my opinion, I think all drugs should be legal. I don't encourage anyone to do drugs, but what right does the government have to say what we can or cannot put into our bodies? By keeping drugs illegal you are making the mafia and the drug cartels more powerful. People are going to get a hold of drugs whether they are legalized or not.I think that cops should be worrying about more important things than locking people up over marijuana or other drugs. I also don't encourage anyone to smoke, but I don't judge anyone who does. It is their right to smoke even though they are slowly killing themselves.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 1:42 am

MSBKyle wrote:
You should just treat pot like alcohol. You shouldn't drive when you are stoned and you should use it in moderation. It is not the government's job to decide what we put in our bodies. This is part of the reason why many young people are dying from heroin. If you legalize pot the heroin death rates would decline. There has never been a death or an overdose from marijuana.

Young people are dying of heroin because cheap heroin has infiltrated the suburbs. Heroin in it's current form has existed for decades and was an uncommon drug when I was growing up. It was considered the most hard core of drugs and was rarely encountered outside of anti-social sub-cultures.

If you had been a young person in the suburbs in the 80s, you would have encountered beer, cigarettes, maybe pot but that wasn't very common either, and if you were at a party with some affluent kids, maybe cocaine. I think the suburban heroin epidemic must have started around the early 21st century. I imagine there were various factors but I don't think pot is a solution.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 5:04 am

Now, I don't do any mind altering substances, I enjoy staying sober, but this topic really gets on my nerves.
In my opinion, alcohol is worse in pretty much every single way compared to pot, and people who drink it become obnoxious and annoying. It is the pinnacle of stupidity and herd mentality, that people would glorify alcohol, just because it is legal..

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 10:28 am

In the 1970s, when I went to high school, EVERYBODY at least "pretended" to smoke pot. I was one of those who "pretended." I only inhaled once. "Harder" drugs were widely available, and easy to obtain even within a place like Washington Square Park in New York City, where they were sold fairly openly. When you entered that park (until the late 80s), you were bombarded by lines and lines of people trying to sell you either drugs or sex.

If one is found to have driven under the influence of pot, one is arrested, in NY State, for driving "under the influence of a controlled substance." It's an unclassified misdemeanor, just like "Driving while Intoxicated [by alcohol]."

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 10:36 am

The War on Drugs has been considered a back-handed way to legally disenfranchise black people, and confirmed to be so through a quote from John Ehrlichmann, a senior aide to then-President Nixon.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 5:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In the 1970s, when I went to high school, EVERYBODY at least "pretended" to smoke pot. I was one of those who "pretended." I only inhaled once. "Harder" drugs were widely available, and easy to obtain even within a place like Washington Square Park in New York City, where they were sold fairly openly. When you entered that park (until the late 80s), you were bombarded by lines and lines of people trying to sell you either drugs or sex.

If one is found to have driven under the influence of pot, one is arrested, in NY State, for driving "under the influence of a controlled substance." It's an unclassified misdemeanor, just like "Driving while Intoxicated [by alcohol]."

Hard core drugs have traditionally been easy to find in urban environments. However the recent spike in heroin related deaths is due to it's infiltration of the suburbs. Middle class and upper middle class suburban teenagers are shooting up heroin and overdosing at alarming rates.

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2017, 7:50 am

I know I'm a bit late but I'm an aspie and I am not ashamed to admit that I smoke pot. I don't see the problem in it, it's known to have health benefits smoking it without tobacco. As long as you smoke it in moderation you should be fine, i have a job, never been in trouble with the police. It dosent make me lazy. you can't put pot smokers in the same category as people who do crack and heroin, it's a herb that can help you relax and boost creativity. I will smoke a joint with my housemates after work, it's a nice way to unwind after a hard day at work, we usually watch a movie while smoking it, or we will go out into the woods, or the church ruins, we have camping trips where we will swim in the waterfalls smoking joints. I become more aware of my surroundings and I enjoy being around nature, looking at the trees and so on much more. It causes me no harm and helps me be social

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 11:20 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
Now, I don't do any mind altering substances, I enjoy staying sober, but this topic really gets on my nerves.
In my opinion, alcohol is worse in pretty much every single way compared to pot, and people who drink it become obnoxious and annoying. It is the pinnacle of stupidity and herd mentality, that people would glorify alcohol, just because it is legal..

That's how I feel, too. I think there should probably be more restrictions on alcohol than there are. Why do I think it should be restricted? Because when one has been drinking alcohol, one's judgment is impaired, and it will seem okay to have just "a little" more, and keep doing it until the person is way over their "limit." It would be safer to have someone who hasn't been drinking to tell someone when they really need to stop (and I know this doesn't always happen, and some people are very good at showing restraint, but it's all too easy for a lot of people to slip into that cycle of having just "a little" more until one has had way too much). Yes, it is a personal choice, but the effects it has on a person also affect others who didn't make that choice. Admittedly I don't know that much about marijuana, but I think the same would be true of it - in moderation, it might be okay, but perhaps there should be a limit as to how much one can buy at a time, kind of like what pharmacies do with Sudafed. So I do think I agree with the idea of treating marijuana like alcohol, but I think restrictions should be somewhere between where they generally are now for the two. As for other drugs, I really don't know enough about them to try to get into that debate.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Nay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Sep 2017, 6:33 pm

It rots the mind.