Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

banana247
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2017, 8:14 pm

I just graduated from college with my BA in an arts related field. I have very specific interests and the majority of jobs related to what interests me in my field is in a another city/state, though there is some in a nearby city.

I graduated top of my class and seem to be a in a good place, but I realize that school is a structure and "game" that I understand well, so suddenly not having that buffer and pretty much being free to do ANYTHING feels totally scary. I thought I knew what I wanted, but i suddenly have a million doubts.

I'm sure being nervous about a big life change is "normal" for anyone, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on adjusting to a "new life" and making big decisions? I've been living at my parents' during school. Has anyone moved to a new city for the first time when they got their first job?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 6:55 pm

I recommend you save up some money before you move anywhere--unless your parents could afford to lend you a few thousand to get started. Or live at your parents' for about a year, so you can save up for an apartment. My advice applies, especially, if you will live in an expensive city that's well sought out. In NYC, for example, they usually ask for at last one months' rent and one months' security upfront (at least). In other cities, they might only ask for a small deposit.

Before I move out of your parents', I would save at least six months' salary. How far away from your city are "all the jobs in your field?" They don't have any in the place you're living in now?

I know you might not want to provide more information on the Internet. But people could give better advice if you specified what "field," and maybe what "city."

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 7:52 pm

Even though it is advisable to move out of your parent's or grandparent's home when you graduate high school or turn 18, you have to be able to live on a suitable amount of income before you can go all out on your own; otherwise, you will be living homeless, and homelessness will be painful.