Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

nearmint
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jul 2017, 11:58 pm

Hey guys,
the story of me and how I came to be in Santa Barbara, CA is quite strange (all in all I think that i mean quite sad). In any case I'm from Europe. And I recently got my Aspergers diagnosis. And I'm living in Santa Barbara right now.

Now I have the wish to meet more people on the spectrum. Also, if possible, younger people. I'm attempting college for the second time at the moment. Does anyone have advice on how to meet Aspies?

The college I am at seems to have mainly pot smokers, party people and other folk I can hardly associate with. My housemates at least are not party people, but they do spend a great deal of their day playing video games or listening to music. I am currently planning to get my room made completely soundproof so that I don't need to wear earmuffs all the time just to be able to recharge a bit. I guess you all know these kinds of problems.

I would like to meet other perfectionisic people with peculiar interests; people like me. I wonder what happens, you know, for NTs my behavior is often "funny" which has the advantage that they at least can somehow associate with me and build a superficial relationship. I am looking forward to maybe meeting some more interesting people in the aspie community.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this stuff.

-M

alex
Developer
Developer

06 Jul 2017, 2:44 am

Welcome. I've been to SB many times. it's beautiful!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 4:29 am

i almost saw an accident (t-bone) on the corner of gutierrez and milpas. s**t was cray, luckily four wheel discs all around prevented real carnage.

yeah, i'm a native, Don. it's really cool to meet another inhabitant here.

that's a tricky college situation isn't it? i'm at CC and it's pretty much the same way for me. i never thought i'd say it, but i found it much easier to make friends in high school. how about you?

i totally get what you mean about being funny and superficial relationships. i didn't complain much about that at first until i developed the need for something deeper....and found myself stuck, unable to move forward for they saw me mostly as an object of humor and nothing else.

not all did...thankfully

how long have you been in SB? you know the place well?

either way, welcome to the club, fellow compadre. :)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 1:17 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

nearmint
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jul 2017, 2:35 am

Thank you for the warm welcome. I am astonished and thankful that I got a reply from the founder and a local soul (and someone from Portland dropping by, thanks man). Alex - I saw some of your aspie TV episodes today, those are awesome. Regarding those SQL errors I emailed you about - I fear that they increase the bounce rate of new visitors. There's also a thread about this now (t=349672). Dear local, I am sending you a pm as I feel uncomfortable with posting too much publicly.

Richardf269
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jul 2017, 2:51 pm

nearmint wrote:
Hey guys,
the story of me and how I came to be in Santa Barbara, CA is quite strange (all in all I think that i mean quite sad). In any case I'm from Europe. And I recently got my Aspergers diagnosis. And I'm living in Santa Barbara right now.

Now I have the wish to meet more people on the spectrum. Also, if possible, younger people. I'm attempting college for the second time at the moment. Does anyone have advice on how to meet Aspies?

The college I am at seems to have mainly pot smokers, party people and other folk I can hardly associate with. My housemates at least are not party people, but they do spend a great deal of their day playing video games or listening to music. I am currently planning to get my room made completely soundproof so that I don't need to wear earmuffs all the time just to be able to recharge a bit. I guess you all know these kinds of problems.

I would like to meet other perfectionisic people with peculiar interests; people like me. I wonder what happens, you know, for NTs my behavior is often "funny" which has the advantage that they at least can somehow associate with me and build a superficial relationship. I am looking forward to maybe meeting some more interesting people in the aspie community.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this stuff.

-M

Hi there. I also live in your area. Actually, more specifically Isla Vista. I hardly ever visit SB because I'd rather live in I.V., but I'm hardly a perfectionist. I'm quite lazy, to be honest. I'd rather sit & play PC games on my laptop than do anything else. Or write short stories lately. However, being houseless has it's own rewards as well as its downfalls. My bicycle was also stolen recently, so I'm stuck walking everywhere.

Yes, there's a lot of pot smokers in Isla Vista since they're college kids. Also, since they're college kids, be prepared for sentences out of their mouths with the words "like" every 3 seconds. It's quite annoying being forced to listen to it. I smoke pot a lot, and I do drink beer (who doesn't these days?). I've been in I.V. for 18 years now all together.

ElleGaunt
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2018, 12:57 pm

Hi guys! Not sure if anyone is still following this thread. I live in Goleta, near Costco (so close to UCSB).

I'm completing my bachelors degree in actuarial science at UCSB, because it's one of the top four schools to study actuarial science in the entire country. I don't drink or use any drugs. I relate to most of my classmates, aside from being much older. Generally speaking, UCSB students are VERY serious. Fun and friendly, but serious.

I would love to have a community of healthy, positive autistic adults in the area. If you're local and you feel the same I would love to engage on the forums.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 1:14 pm

i still live in SB. 8)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.