Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

sleepingpancake
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2017, 12:01 am

will you accept a housekeeping job in a different country just to escape your current life situation?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 12:07 am

I don't think I could

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

sleepingpancake
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2017, 12:16 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I don't think I could

why is that?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 3:59 am

sleepingpancake wrote:
will you accept a housekeeping job in a different country just to escape your current life situation?

If you are considering a house keeping job in Saudi Arabia, please do not do this! Many Filipino women have found themselves trapped in Saudi Arabia and kept as slaves. Women do not have freedom of movement there and employers often hold on to foreign worker passports to prevent them from fleeing the country once they realize they have been enslaved. The Saudi government has no laws to protect foreign workers from abuses at the hand of their employers, and will jail or return those who try to escape to their employer. Many Filipino women who have been trapped in this situation have been raped or maimed by their employer.

If you travel to any foreign country for domestic work, make sure it's one where you keep possession of your passport and have recourse if your employer tries to violate your rights in any way. For example, in the U.S. a foreign worker can quit and leave the country any time they want, and can sue their employer for failure to pay earned wages, even if they are in the country illegally.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Jul 2017, 7:14 am

Yes, please be very careful. A foreign environment can be stressful, what with language barriers etc even without the possible things that can go wrong. And especially for those of us on the spectrum. Use a reputable agency if possible.

And certainly avoid certain countries, as Chronos has pointed out.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 3:32 pm

be careful anywhere. moving to an unfamiliar country with no one who knows you to do housework (vague) makes it easy to slip into some bad cracks. i like to think that most people are generally good. but still, be careful and never assume people will be good.

can you give us a little more info about the nature of this housework job, how you became aware of it, anything? it could be completely legitimate but without any information it sounds really concerning.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 3:58 pm

I concur with Seaweed, be very cautious. There's still a slave trade going on in south-east Asia, and many times it's migrant workers that the slave-traders either kidnap or scam into their clutches. Tread with caution.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 9:03 pm

As everybody else has said, BE CAREFUL!! Don't just answer an ad in some paper, or whatever----the ad could be a PLOY, to get you to whatever country, and sell you into prostitution. The Philippines, especially, is KNOWN-for being complicit in these schemes.

I've worked with a TON of foreign workers----and, I remember them telling me they came-over (from all different countries) through some program that had "International" in the name; so, I looked-up, and found this link:

http://www.ilo.org

.....hopefully, that can give you a start on getting to another country / "life situation", LEGALLY and SAFELY.

Also, I would suggest NOT telling them you're an Aspie----it MIGHT disqualify you, from their program.

sleepingpancake
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jul 2017, 3:56 am

thank you everyone for your concern!! :) of course i'll be careful, im always careful since im an aspie, that's already given :wink: ....and no, im not going to saudi arabia..the job's mainly taking care of an elderly plus some housework. never the best job, i know but as of the moment it's the only offer i got and i really really really need to get out of here real soon.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jul 2017, 3:22 am

I would of when I was single if I could of gotten a girlfriend(or more) in the process. I was really lonely & desperate when I was single & the 3 jobs I had were cleaning related(dishwasher, floor-care, & custodian).

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 5:06 pm

sleepingpancake wrote:
thank you everyone for your concern!! :) of course i'll be careful, im always careful since im an aspie, that's already given :wink: ....and no, im not going to saudi arabia..the job's mainly taking care of an elderly plus some housework. never the best job, i know but as of the moment it's the only offer i got and i really really really need to get out of here real soon.

I would also avoid the U.A.E. They do not restrict women's travel to the same degree that Saudi Arabia does, but if a woman is raped there, she has essentially no recourse, and will be arrested for extramarital sex if she reports it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jul 2017, 8:49 pm

nick007 wrote:
I would of when I was single if I could of gotten a girlfriend(or more) in the process. I was really lonely & desperate when I was single & the 3 jobs I had were cleaning related(dishwasher, floor-care, & custodian).
I forgot to mention that I felt trapped living with my parents. They were on my back alot when I was unemployed about how I needed a job & also when I was working about how I needed to be more independent. I lived in a rural area & couldn't drive cuz of my disabilities & wasn't independent enough to move out on my own in a city with public transportation.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

sleepingpancake
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jul 2017, 4:47 am

Chronos wrote:

I would also avoid the U.A.E. They do not restrict women's travel to the same degree that Saudi Arabia does, but if a woman is raped there, she has essentially no recourse, and will be arrested for extramarital sex if she reports it.

will keep that in mind :)