Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 9:48 am

BirdInFlight wrote:

Some of this code is actually INTENDED to offend "without offending." In other words, some of it is actually passive-aggressive in nature, and the speaker fully knows it.

Prime example of this sub-type of code speaking:
Where I used to live, there was a type of person who came from a type of culture who ALL understood that there is a phrase that sounds kind and sweet. But which, when used in certain contexts, was actually intended to mean something insulting.

It's not a conspiracy theory -- I learned (the hard way) and from multiple sources that yes, this IS a "thing" understood to be used as a coded weapon of insult not kindness. Even though the words themselves are "kind" on face value.

And stupid, literal-minded me at first took those words at face value, and I had even started using this phrase myself on other people, and getting reactions of instant dislike -- and I didn't know why!! ! !

Until more than one person independently clued me in on the "code."

Seriously. There's a f*****g code. And it's nasty stuff for reasons of the above faux pas potential. If you wanna call it something else, that's just semantics. Don't call it a code if you like. But it's a code dude.

Don't leave me hanging dude ( I use the word dude for all sexes , species and some inanimate objects ), please tell me the phrase.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 10:24 am

Yes, I've been the recipient of bitchiness, and some of that bitchiness has been in the form of "code."

I'm not always really good at deciphering the "code."

I'm a person who speaks directly, and not in "code," though I try to be diplomatic.

I believe much of the "social niceties" were promulgated to prevent wars and misunderstandings. Sometimes, it's used as a "gentle" way of excluding someone (yes, including me). It's used in both positive and negative ways.

But I don't believe NT's created the "code" to, exclusively, exclude people. I believe it was created as a form of self-preservation.

sun.flower
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jul 2017, 10:33 am

via Karla McLaren: "The following are normal everyday behaviors among neurotypicals: lying about their feelings; avoiding sensitive subjects that are glaringly obvious; leaving important words unsaid; pretending to like things they don’t like; pretending they’re not feeling an emotion that they’re clearly feeling; using language to hide, obscure, and skirt crucial issues; attacking people who frighten them without ever realizing they’re full of fear; stopping all forward progress on a project without ever realizing they’re full of anger and grief; and claiming that they are being rational when huge steamy clouds of emotion are pouring out of them. Neurotypicals are often emotionally exhausting."

https://karlamclaren.com/2011/10/09/emp ... mment-1442

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 10:39 am

I've encountered people of varying neurologies who do all those things.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 2:20 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:
Where I used to live, there was a type of person who came from a type of culture who ALL understood that there is a phrase that sounds kind and sweet. But which, when used in certain contexts, was actually intended to mean something insulting.

Don't leave me hanging dude ( I use the word dude for all sexes , species and some inanimate objects ), please tell me the phrase.

I'll bet the phrase is "Bless his/her heart", and this person is from the American South.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 2:43 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:

I'll bet the phrase is "Bless his/her heart", and this person is from the American South.

8O I thought that was a term of endearment :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 5:11 pm

It is.....sometimes.

It can also be used facetiously/ironically.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 5:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It is.....sometimes.

It can also be used facetiously/ironically.

I just talked about this with my GF and deep down I think I did know it can be used in a condescending way and realised I probably can sound condescending but don't mean it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 7:56 pm

It's not really thought that way in the UK, I don't believe. It seems has a more "straightforward" religious meaning there. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In the Southern United States, the meaning is more complex. It depends upon the tone of voice, and the immediate context. It can either be an expression of admiration, similar to "blow me down!" Or I could be used sarcastically/facetiously.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 8:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's not really thought that way in the UK, I don't believe. It seems has a more "straightforward" religious meaning there. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In the Southern United States, the meaning is more complex. It depends upon the tone of voice, and the immediate context. It can either be an expression of admiration, similar to "blow me down!" Or I could be used sarcastically/facetiously.

I'm probably not the best person to ask so I asked the missus ( my GF ) and she said she considers it pretty much the same as you do over the pond ( context is very important ) and is rarely used in a religious way ( well at least not in our bit of the UK ).
It's funny that you think it may have a more religious meaning here as my missus thinks the same about the US - how wierd.

She just gave me a hilarious example but maybe not that funny if your the subject matter so I thought I'd share.
Girl 1: How was it?
Girl 2: Good but he's not particularly well endowed.
Girl 1: Ah! Bless him.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 9:41 pm

Well they sure don't understand my code, or aspie code code in general.

For example if I look away up at the ceiling when they ask me a question, to them that means "She's lying". But it's really because they asked me a question where answering it wrongly could cause me a ton of embarrassment, so I have to think. Yeah, you know, THINK? Something people with brains do?!?

Or that our lack of eye contact during a job interview means we're not fit to even be janitors let alone any other job that doesn't overwhelm our senses.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 1:08 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I've heard that "Bless your heart" can be used to replace
a particularly offensive swear/curse word phrase
directed at another person,
one which would get me reprimanded, suspended, or maybe even banned
were I to post it on Wrong Planet.
It can be far stronger than mere sarcasm ...

In a similar vein,
I heard that when truckers in the old days
who used CB radios said "Mercy!" ...
that was likewise a curse word
because if they said the actual word,
it would be against FCC regulations,
and they could have their CB radio license taken away.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 12:45 pm

hollowmoon wrote:
An NT told me once that I was too honest and that most people are "speaking in code"- since then, I think he may be right but I have a couple of questions for an NT:

1) Why don't you say what you mean/ how often do you "speak in code" in a conversation?

They don't know they are doing it. They think they are saying what they mean but they don't know how it's going to be interpreted by someone who takes things literal so they don't know what words to add. Put it this way, have you ever been with another person who also took things literal? Did you not know how it would be interpreted?

Quote:
2) If somebody else is speaking in code, how do you decipher the hidden meaning?

I would like to know how they also learn.

For me I go by common sense. The other say I tapped on the glass window of the bus and the drover opens them and tells me to not touch the bus because I could get caught on it so wave my hand at him. I took it at face value but then I started to think it wouldn't make sense if only one bus could make me get caught if I touched it so he had to mean all the buses. Don't touch any buses and only wave my hand at them.

Also I have learned what phrases mean and I am surprised what things people say imply other things just by posts I read online. I also think people read too much into things often that are not even there I have seen NTs going through that problem too, they say something and another person reads into it that isn't even there, something I see ASD people often complain about NTs. But even autistic people have read into things I have said that were not even there because they didn't take me literal so I call it being human. It's also possible the autistic person has learned to read into things or learned what things imply it makes them read too much into things also. I had started to do this a few years ago but never take it seriously because I always doubt that is what they meant like for example I told my mom what my school counselor did when i was 16 and it was about the Game Boy thing and he was expecting me to say "I would just give the kid my Game Boy and get the money from him the next day" and we were also taking about Asperger's and my mom goes "He thought you would be that stupid, are you glad we got rid of him?" Uh oh, my mom just implied aspies are stupid for letting people take advantage of them for being too naive and trusting. I hope that is not what she thinks of them. I also think people often say things without thinking because they don't even think what it will imply. Then they get offended if you point it out to them or maybe that is only my mother. I thought she would be so impressed about me figuring out language but apparently not. I am even too afraid to even ask. It is confusing to know when something implies something and when people mean what they exactly mean but I think NTs have troubles with it too which is why there are misunderstandings but it quickly gets resolved when the other party apologizes and say they didn't mean it and they should have worded it better. Just something I have observed online.

3) Do you ever take words at face value?[/quote]

This something I would like to know. Do they ever take things literal.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Judas
Raven
Raven

10 Jul 2017, 10:42 am

As an autistic my self I don't get why theese so called codes are not self explanatory.
I have more problems understanding other autistic people at times. Sure I get that some social codes need to be learned, but once you do they are like second nature.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 11:14 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
I would be perfectly fine if someone in the above example just said to me:

"Well, so, it's been great talking to you, I gotta go right now but I'll catch ya again soon."

:lol: My problem is, I'm not inclined to lie just to be socially correct, and in general, it's usually NOT "great" talking to them, if anything, it's rather tedious and pointless, so the best I can do is a cursory wave and "Gotta go," and perhaps "Seeya later," which is PROBABLY true, as its more than likely I will encounter the person again, eventually, whether I intend to, or want to, or not.

I did learn, by osmosis, to toss off a polite "Be careful," as people are leaving. I don't really care whether they are careful, or safe, but they should at least make an effort to be, for their own sake.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 8:52 pm

At my age I have learned enough NT "code" to understand how much I do not understand a lot of "code".

exactly. what is the point of saying "how are you doing?", if there are no words that could adequately depict the answer to that question? and, if there were words, what is the point in dropping everything and giving a long winded response?

precious lil "people" say "you got mad", as if that was a fact. precious lil "people" act like they are so special. but they are (more or less, socially) all the same. they say "mad", instead of "angry". but "mad" is not an emotion. and "mad" used to mean "mentally ill."

precious lil "people" say "huh" and "what" instead of "excuse me." but when they talk, they act like everything they say is as (1) important as the latest greatest scientific invention (2) interesting as someone else's sexual orientation (3) urgent as a tsunami.

and they half listen when you talk.

precious lil "people" refer to himself/herself as "we", "people" and "most people". but there is just one of them and one of me.

precious lil "people" act like they have never done anything wrong before. they act morally innocent. they do the slightst personal favor and act like they just saved your life. then when you do something they do not like they label it as "disrespectful" or "rude". as if that's a fact. and as if they have never done anything wrong before.

precious lil "people" say that they "can't" do something, just b/c they do not want to.

precious lil "people" say that "you need to" do something. but that's just peer pressure.

precious lil "people" act like they are absolutely important, morally innocent, socially cool, awesome, academically smart.