Any band/artist art like album covers and posters you like?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2017, 5:05 am

There doesn't seem to be a thread on art from or made by musicians that is consistently active or they only focus on one genre. So guys any art from musicians like single cover art, album cover art, posters, limited edition vinyls, CD art, artbooks, figurines, clothing, band photographs and etc?

Was there ever any single/album art you happened to have strolled by that drawed your attention and made you give its music a chance or the album art greatly gave you the type of environment or visuals you'd imagine when listening to its contents? Was the art so good that you just had to have a vinyl/CD of it? Did you think maybe it would look cool to put on a t-shirt or hat?

Was there every any posters you saw that wouldn't look out of place in your home and would compliment your home decor?

Was there every any band/artist clothing that looked so cool you'd wear even if never listened to a single one of their songs like most people that wear vintage t-shirts.

I'd start it off, I'm not the type of person who'd cover their walls with posters of things they like or even put up a single poster at all but I wouldn't mind having a fat stash of vinyls and CDs that can I pull out bins and bookshelves with a few on display for me to look at whenever I'm in the mood.

The first thing that attracted me to the Gorillaz was their visuals. I think Jamie Hewlett's art style is cool and it is one of the reasons that got me to read Tank Girl comics for a while. I love cartoony things so it was a motivator for me to get a CD of the first Gorillaz album. When you listen to the Gorillaz you imagine 2D and the gang not Damon Albarn and collaborators which says a lot.

UNKLE is one of my favorite bands and I love their album cover art for Psyence Fiction and Never Never Land. Psyence Fiction cover art really does give off a sci-fi area 51 type of vibe which is considering some of the songs on the album do give off those vibes. I'm not a sneakerhead but if I had the money, I'd definitely drop it for a pair of the rare Unkle sneakers that have the alien designs on them. The limited edition CD box and vinyl set for Never Never Land looks great as well.

I can't help but think of a giant monster wrecking a city when I listen to Demons by Bloodshot Dawn

I was strolling youtube when I saw the album cover art in thumbnail and I stayed for the music because it turned out to be pretty good djent/trance metal. I'm thinking of buying the compact CD for Planet Geisha.

And of course Archive. With Controlling Crowds Part 1-3 I love that the album cover art has bleak somewhat giger scifi aesthetic even though I can't really make out most of the objects. It really helps considering the album has a cyberpunk dystopian vibe to it and a lot of lyrics about the corruption of society. I think one of the designs looks great on a t-shirt. Axiom is pretty plain as an album cover art but I wouldn't mind having the text and font on some sort of clothing, people would think it is some random urban brand. Take My Head was a meh album but I do like the atmosphere of the album art it is the type of environment I like listening to music from bands like Archive from.

And this Cibo Matto limited editon Hotel Valentine album looks really cool, something worth having on display! The transparent cream look goes great with the ghost theme of the album. I'd never play the vinyl though from fear of ruining it.

ZombyWoof
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jul 2017, 1:46 pm

most Yes albums have absolutely beautiful art, courtersy of the amazingly talented Mr. Roger Dean.

inner cover to Yessongs (1973 live album)

front cover of Fragile (1971)

cover of Relayer (1974)

cover of Tales From Topographic Oceans (1974)

inner cover of Yesshows (1980)

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2017, 11:55 pm

ZombyWoof wrote:
most Yes albums have absolutely beautiful art, courtersy of the amazingly talented Mr. Roger Dean.

I strongly agree, the album art for Yes easily enhances the music for me. The art also just screams Progressive Rock on it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 5:25 pm

There is so much, I wouldn't even know where to start...