Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 5:36 pm

I am not really sure why this is a question. Assuming the child is a minor, I would have the same opinion that I would of an NT kid. The only difference would be accounting for (large) differences in maturity level (if present) and making extra sure the child understood dating best practices--safety--being able to say and accept the word "no" etc.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 5:55 pm

I'm also not sure of why you are linking us to another page ... I'm not going to post on another page.

I think the answer depends on the unique child. With mine, who is now 20, I love the idea of him having girl friends, and have since he started high school, even though I have to admit I feel a little sorry for them, because he is so completely clueless as to what he is supposed to do in the way of giving feedback, calling, etc. So, to make a long story short, he actually has had a few relationships but the girls eventually give up, is really the only way I can describe it. Our family is still friendly with one his high school dates and I know she figured out it wasn't personal, that he was just clueless, but I don't know about any of the others. Those two still talk and get together as friends occasionally.

Oh, and so far I'm pretty sure they've all asked him out, with the exception of his prom date, who he asked out because her friends told him he had to. He actually had a great time, they've long been friends, so no regrets there.

Since he will be moving overseas in the fall he's taken a break from dating. He didn't feel that was a fair situation to put another person in.

My son is aware enough not to get taken advantage of financially, or pulled into a situation where he will be mocked. He just doesn't get the give and take right, and doesn't know how to care for someone else's feelings. Still, I do hope he will have a permanent significant other someday, and maybe children. If someone takes the time to tell him what they need and expect from him, he will do his best to give it. His future significant other will just have to be OK with taking that extra step frequently.