Capitol Hill Dress Code Reignites Amid Hot Summer In DC

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 3:11 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
That's from the speech Trump gave to congress earlier in the year, she's clearly on the house floor in a formal setting in a sleeveless dress. Be offended away...

Yeah, that's HORRIBLE, IMO!! I know it's the style of the dress, but it looks like her bra strap is showing----she looks like a tramp!! The material is not appropriate, either, IMO----it's not a friggin' cocktail party!!

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 3:24 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
That's from the speech Trump gave to congress earlier in the year, she's clearly on the house floor in a formal setting in a sleeveless dress. Be offended away...

Yeah, that's HORRIBLE, IMO!! I know it's the style of the dress, but it looks like her bra strap is showing----she looks like a tramp!! The material is not appropriate, either, IMO----it's not a friggin' cocktail party!!

Meh, it's just clothing. There are more important things to be offended by on the house floor than clothing.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 10:20 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

Meh, it's just clothing. There are more important things to be offended by on the house floor than clothing.

Yes I would of thought her exposing her arms would pale into insignificance when compared to the offence caused by her father's twitter posts

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 1:39 am

EzraS wrote:
Women have a lot more leeway than men who always have to wear a jacket and tie. Which I have always found a bit strange that all men must wear lookalike suits and ties. Always has to be long pants and totally closed shoes. The only skin a man is allowed to show in those situations are his head and hands. No matter how hot it is.

They don't have to be completely alike. When I worked at companies where suit and tie is required, I usually wore western suits. Nobody else there did.

Bolo ties are greatness!

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 1:42 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
Sleeveless dresses get you being told to "cover up"??

That is just ridiculous to me.

I never did get how women wearing something sleeveless is not "professional" even when the garment itself is nice, elegant, and even coverative in every other way. Nice open-toed shoes the same.

All of this stuff is like something out of the Victorian age. Oh my, an ankle is showing! 8O

I used to work at one company where the president of the company's wife often worked there and when she did, she invariably wore some kind of feminist suit. It was basically a suit and tie, but with everything all wrong. That was 30 years ago. The women's business suits of today are far better than the ones she always wore.

To me, they looked like clown outfits.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 7:02 am

Hate to tell you, there are still big deal companies who have a pretty severe dress code. My sister works in HR for one of them.

Her company does have a dresses/blouses/shirts must have sleeves.

Off the top of my head from what she told me...

No heels over 2 inches
No open toed shoes
No flip flops
No Crocks
No slides
No athletic shoes without a doctor's note, and shoes must be in good condition.

Her in department women must wear nylons with dresses/skirts.

No yoga pants
No pajama bottoms/tops
No halter tops or halter top style dresses.
No tube tops

No underwear worn as outside clothing
No shorts/cargo shorts
No blue jeans
No wife beater shirts
T-shirts must be plain. No logos/funny sayings etc
No baseball caps, beanies, knitted/crochet hats to be woren indoors.

Actually, it would be easier to say you must wear business attire, and business causal is pushing it.

My sister didn't make up the rules, but she gets to deal with the fall out. Her firm deals with finance. The worse offenders are 20 something interns and new hires, who believe they can roll into work like going to a college lecture.

One guy rolled into wearing with a wife beater, pajama bottoms and slides. Or the woman with a very sheer dress and no underwear. No one had to guess she wasn't wearing underwear.

So people get rewritten up. My sister gets to talk to them. They scream at the unfairness of it all. She pulls their start of employment paper work where they initialed that they read the dress code sections (6 pages long). Drama and BS.

The no sleeves thing sucks. My sister's company had to do that when MEN rolled into work wearing work out clothes/wife beaters. So "being fair to everyone", sleeveless women garments got axed.

If a person hires into a new job and is told the dress code, it is what it is. People can ways quit.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 8:16 am

Here's an interesting discussion of an intern petitioning management to make some changes to their dress code: http://www.askamanager.org/2016/06/i-was-fired-from-my-internship-for-writing-a-proposal-for-a-more-flexible-dress-code.html.

From the link:

Quote:
I was able to get a summer internship at a company that does work in the industry I want to work in after I graduate. Even though the division I was hired to work in doesn’t deal with clients or customers, there still was a very strict dress code. I felt the dress code was overly strict but I wasn’t going to say anything, until I noticed one of the workers always wore flat shoes that were made from a fabric other than leather, or running shoes, even though both of these things were contrary to the dress code.

I spoke with my manager about being allowed some leeway under the dress code and was told this was not possible, despite the other person being allowed to do it. I soon found out that many of the other interns felt the same way, and the ones who asked their managers about it were told the same thing as me. We decided to write a proposal stating why we should be allowed someone leeway under the dress code. We accompanied the proposal with a petition, signed by all of the interns (except for one who declined to sign it) and gave it to our managers to consider. Our proposal requested that we also be allowed to wear running shoes and non leather flats, as well as sandals (not flip-flops though) and other non-dress shoes that would fit under a more business casual dress code. It was mostly about the footwear, but we also incorporated a request that we not have to wear suits and/or blazers in favor of a more casual, but still professional dress code.

The next day, all of us who signed the petition were called into a meeting where we thought our proposal would be discussed. Instead, we were informed that due to our “unprofessional” behavior, we were being let go from our internships. We were told to hand in our ID badges and to gather our things and leave the property ASAP.

The intern failed to understand something that everyone really needs to learn. When you go to work for a company, it is not the company who has to adapt itself to you -- it is your job to adapt yourself to the corporate culture. If you cannot do that, then there is no place for you there and you won't go far.

Besides dress codes, that includes things like arriving to work on time and not getting into major arguments with others. At some companies, all it takes is for you to raise your voice to someone else, employees and customers, for you to find every avenue for advancement quickly shut off.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Jul 2017, 1:56 pm

They are still very much stuck in an NT "old boys club" type of culture, which I dislike as it's a culture where you're expected to attend parties, dress a certain way etc. and it's really an anachronism.

The financial world, especially, is of that kind.

One shouldn't have any more confidence in someone dressed in a suit than more casually dressed. History and our prisons are full of crooked guys in suits or who wore suits before the jumpsuits! What you wear doesn't automatically earn you respect.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 6:29 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
They are still very much stuck in an NT "old boys club" type of culture, which I dislike as it's a culture where you're expected to attend parties, dress a certain way etc. and it's really an anachronism.

At a biopsychosocial level it's not that far removed from chimpanzees picking nits from each others backsides. Its simply a form of social conformity that increase social bonds. In the financial world it's more strategic in enhancing team or organisational culture. As to whether this is relevant in the future is really up to the NTs to decide

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 9:48 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:
Sleeveless dresses get you being told to "cover up"??

That is just ridiculous to me.

I never did get how women wearing something sleeveless is not "professional" even when the garment itself is nice, elegant, and even coverative in every other way. Nice open-toed shoes the same.

All of this stuff is like something out of the Victorian age. Oh my, an ankle is showing! 8O

That's what happens when the teabaggers are in charge.

I think those teabaggers should step out of the 1800s and get with the times.