Capitol Hill Dress Code Reignites Amid Hot Summer In DC

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 5:35 pm

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/340900-house-dress-code-debate-reignites-amid-hot-dc-summer

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 6:01 pm

Sleeveless dresses get you being told to "cover up"??

That is just ridiculous to me.

I never did get how women wearing something sleeveless is not "professional" even when the garment itself is nice, elegant, and even coverative in every other way. Nice open-toed shoes the same.

All of this stuff is like something out of the Victorian age. Oh my, an ankle is showing! 8O

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 6:53 pm

Women have a lot more leeway than men who always have to wear a jacket and tie. Which I have always found a bit strange that all men must wear lookalike suits and ties. Always has to be long pants and totally closed shoes. The only skin a man is allowed to show in those situations are his head and hands. No matter how hot it is.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 7:06 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Sleeveless dresses get you being told to "cover up"??

That is just ridiculous to me.

I never did get how women wearing something sleeveless is not "professional" even when the garment itself is nice, elegant, and even coverative in every other way. Nice open-toed shoes the same.

All of this stuff is like something out of the Victorian age. Oh my, an ankle is showing! 8O

That's what happens when the teabaggers are in charge.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 8:59 pm

I agree that what's expected of men is even worse; I think the jacket and tie thing is extraordinarily oppressive, particularly for summer, but even in general.

It's high time the dress code for both women and men in professional settings simply became something else, something still smart per se, but not these tired and uncomfortable standards.

EzraS wrote:
Women have a lot more leeway than men who always have to wear a jacket and tie. Which I have always found a bit strange that all men must wear lookalike suits and ties. Always has to be long pants and totally closed shoes. The only skin a man is allowed to show in those situations are his head and hands. No matter how hot it is.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 9:14 pm

EzraS wrote:

Men don't have to wear high heels; it's said to be quite uncomfortable.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 9:35 pm

Corporate dress code 101

Stilettos are used to advertise a women's power/authority while concurrently highlighting female sexuality
Most companies enforce a dress code that requires women to wear stilettos

In 2016 Nicola Thorp, a receptionist in Price Waterhouse Coopers was sent home without pay for refusing to wear heels. After threat of legal action Thorp was allowed to wear flat shoes. However despite this win there is no law that prevents companies (or capitol hill) from enforcing a dress code. It's at their discretion.

The origin of men being required to be clean shaven in a corporate environment originated from an attempt to prevent hiring Jewish men. Obviously that didn't work...

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 9:45 pm

I'm more curious about this 'special hall' where that dress code applies than the actual dress code. It sounds like some special walled off 'magic place' BS. It's a goddamn hall in congress, if they were worried about low-lives and slimeballs entering it shouldn't be in congress...

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 10:21 pm

EzraS wrote:

I think men should have similar clothing choices as women, however the article states that the dresscode is rarely enforced for members of congress and that some congressmen have been seen on the house floor in jeans and sweatpants.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 10:41 pm

I think it's time for togas to come back in style.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 5:52 pm

EzraS wrote:
I think it's time for togas to come back in style.

Equally despised during their time. Romans much preferred tunics and laws had to be passed to force senators to wear togas in the senate.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 7:13 pm

I, of course, am gonna have to agree with this dress code. I can remember seeing Mrs. Obama in a sleeveless dress, in the House, and my not being approving of it, cuz I just feel that "sleeveless" says "informal"----I don't care WHAT material, it is----and so do open-toed shoes "say" informal, IMO.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 8:58 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I, of course, am gonna have to agree with this dress code. I can remember seeing Mrs. Obama in a sleeveless dress, in the House, and my not being approving of it, cuz I just feel that "sleeveless" says "informal"----I don't care WHAT material, it is----and so do open-toed shoes "say" informal, IMO.

When Jacqueline Kennedy wore a sleeveless number in the "conservative" 1960s she was considered an icon of fashion. I hardly think it should raise an eyebrow that Michelle Obama did the same back in 2016 given the long historical precedence? Also no comment about the sleeveless outfits paraded by Melania Trump?

I know many on the conservative side of America society were (and probably still are) reviled at the idea of a beautiful African American woman being first lady of the president. I only hope that wasn't the reason you picked on her?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 4:58 am

And yet, many styles of the most formal of all dresses, the full-on evening gown worn only for extremely formal dinners, events, awards ceremonies, and even formal weddings, can be sleeveless and perfectly accepted.

I do not understand one iota why a bare arm is "informal." Or "too much skin." It's an ARM. Not a boob or a buttock.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 2:59 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

When Jacqueline Kennedy wore a sleeveless number in the "conservative" 1960s she was considered an icon of fashion. I hardly think it should raise an eyebrow that Michelle Obama did the same back in 2016 given the long historical precedence? Also no comment about the sleeveless outfits paraded by Melania Trump?

BirdInFlight wrote:
And yet, many styles of the most formal of all dresses, the full-on evening gown worn only for extremely formal dinners, events, awards ceremonies, and even formal weddings, can be sleeveless and perfectly accepted.

Y'all did see where I said "in the House", right? That's the ONLY thing, to which I was referring----and, IIRC, the thing to which the article was referring.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 3:05 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

BirdInFlight wrote:

Y'all did see where I said "in the House", right? That's the ONLY thing, to which I was referring----and, IIRC, the thing to which the article was referring.

That's from the speech Trump gave to congress earlier in the year, she's clearly on the house floor in a formal setting in a sleeveless dress. Be offended away...