Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

08 Jul 2017, 10:37 pm

Who remembers this 1996 epic movie? I do. What it's about, per IMDB:

Quote:
On July 2nd, satellite stations experience interference in their systems and the scientists and military believe that it is caused by meteors. Soon they realize that it is originated from the Moon by a huge spacecraft that brings other ones that are positioned over the major cities on Earth including Washington, New York, Los Angeles, Paris, London, Houston and Moscow. World governments do not know the purpose of the alien force. The scientist David Levinson discovers that the aliens are preparing the invasion of Earth, destroying the human species, and he succeeds in reporting to the President of the United States, Thomas J. Whitmore. With an inferior technology, Whitmore and General William Grey decide to give a chance to Levinson's plan of downloading a virus in the computer of the alien spacecraft as the last chance of Earthlings to survive.

It's an amazing movie to watch, whether it's summer or not. During my annual L.A. trips, which take place around early July, I try and make reference to the film. :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 3:30 am

Epic movie with downer sequel. Stick to the original and forget the sequel in this case, I say.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 4:04 am

pretty long for my tastes, but i enjoyed it. the effects were great.

i have a vhs copy of it, surprisingly crisp and good looking for the medium. compared to the red october tape i bought around the same time, brand new and shrinkwrapped too (i think) ....total garbage picture quality by comparison.

really gets the noggin joggin'.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 12:53 am

I don't like it because it makes those of us who dream of the alien brothers look bad, russell HEADcase(?) is not one of us, he is an impostor. The president is much too ambitious as well, I know it's all hands on deck Granger but he really shouldn't have been up in the air, that's why his missile failed, it was too much to take.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Jul 2017, 2:52 am

I really liked it but haven't seen it in ages. I haven't seen the sequel yet either but want to at some point. Maybe after I get around to watching the 1st again.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 4:33 am

I remember hearing of it back in the 90s in elementary school, but I didn't see it till like last year. It was good, with the right dose of humor. I love how these Las Vegas people were all gung ho with their Welcome To Our Home signs on the roof, then they get swept away and killed by the aliens. I also like the ending, where (spoiler!) the drunk "nobody" saves the day by shouting in a comical way, "Come and get me!! !"

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 6:37 pm

^ It was actually the people in Los Angeles that had the "Welcome to Our Home" signs. :D

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 3:48 pm

Bought a copy of this movie a week ago; best $4 I spent. :D