Where do any of you post yourselves online on date websites?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

neptunekh
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jul 2017, 6:01 pm

I need answers people

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2017, 7:18 pm

okay cupid, but its not great. I tried tinder and did meet some one who became platonic, but that was in Japan. the tinder app doesn't work here for some reason.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 7:25 pm

On online dating everyone secretly judges by looks. I may get called out on that, but why are women trying to go after the mature looking men, and yet all of the guys trying to get all of the sexy looking ladies?

Going back to C2V's post maybe we all need to be a bit more open-minded.

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2017, 7:27 pm

ZachGoodwin wrote:
On online dating everyone secretly judges by looks. I may get called out on that, but why are women trying to go after the mature looking men, and yet all of the guys trying to get all of the sexy looking ladies?

Going back to C2V's post maybe we all need to be a bit more open-minded.

what was C2V's post? :|

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 7:29 pm

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2017, 7:35 pm

Ah, gotcha. well I guess I am guilty of the deal breakers too. The people who list the standards their potential mate doesn't live up to or which type of people need not contact them, I tend to evade that. It doesn't feel approachable, and having been bullied so often in my teens I kinda just filter them out. You don't know what to say anyway, there is nothing to talk about in depth unless there is a discussion topic, so you have to do small talk which I can't do...

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 8:14 pm

ZachGoodwin wrote:
On online dating everyone secretly judges by looks.

They do that in real life too. Of course they do. People don't want to date people they're not attracted to. I wonder if there is so much frustration about "online dating" here because people somehow think that it magically makes people not care about looks or other things regarding physicality. Online dating simply allows people to be even more selective even easier than in real life so in many ways online has all the problems meat-space dating does only even worse, not better.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 3:27 am

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. well I guess I am guilty of the deal breakers too. The people who list the standards their potential mate doesn't live up to or which type of people need not contact them, I tend to evade that. It doesn't feel approachable, and having been bullied so often in my teens I kinda just filter them out. You don't know what to say anyway, there is nothing to talk about in depth unless there is a discussion topic, so you have to do small talk which I can't do...

This is the sort of thing I mean (and I responded to in the other topic linked above). These people are selling themselves short. What if they've listed "if you smoke don't bother contacting me" and someone else reads that who maybe smokes socially, and thinks well, if you're going to be that way about it I won't contact you. Maybe those two people could have been blissfully happy together if they'd just met somewhere, maybe talked, given each other a chance. But they never get that far. Someone reads something about the person that isn't immediately and completely appealing and they just reject them outright - with online profiles, without even meeting that person.
Quote:
They do that in real life too. Of course they do. People don't want to date people they're not attracted to. I wonder if there is so much frustration about "online dating" here because people somehow think that it magically makes people not care about looks or other things regarding physicality. Online dating simply allows people to be even more selective even easier than in real life so in many ways online has all the problems meat-space dating does only even worse, not better.

I find this attraction thing interesting in movies/TV. Many times I've found an actor crazy attractive, but then I see them in a different role and don't find them remotely attractive. It was everything about the personality they were portraying that attracted me. They can look exactly the same and without the mannerisms, personality, background story, behaviour, etc of the character they were playing, they're not even physically appealing. Attraction isn't so simple as just flat out looks in a picture. I know one dude who has a birth defect which means he was only born with one eye. In a picture, he would look unappealing. But he's a swaggering, charismatic, super self-confident smooth-talker, and gorgeous women literally fall all over him and his lack of an eye.
Also, attraction can be tied up with affection or love. Maybe someone isn't your poster girl / boy, but you know that person, you know what a fabulous person they are, and they look more attractive to you based on that awareness.
As I commented in the other topic, just dismissing people because they have this attribute, or have had this problem, or have this label, or hell, they aren't a certain hair colour, eye colour, weight, and height sometimes, then they're not even worth consideration, seems to miss out on the potential of meeting someone who could be great for you, and you for them.

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2017, 8:35 am

C2V wrote:
Quote:

This is the sort of thing I mean (and I responded to in the other topic linked above). These people are selling themselves short. What if they've listed "if you smoke don't bother contacting me" and someone else reads that who maybe smokes socially, and thinks well, if you're going to be that way about it I won't contact you. Maybe those two people could have been blissfully happy together if they'd just met somewhere, maybe talked, given each other a chance. But they never get that far. Someone reads something about the person that isn't immediately and completely appealing and they just reject them outright - with online profiles, without even meeting that person.
Quote:

You're not wrong, again, if you meet somewhere with a preconceived reason for being at said place it takes the edge off since the third dimension of yourselves can be expressed in real time rather than thought and planned short conversation through text about nothing. Its like I explained to my friend, I can't stand bars because they are loud and dark and you are forced to be superficial because you can see or hear or talk. communication is crap the social metrics are still tight. But a bonfire in a backyard, far less metrics, much more quite, and everyone is more willing to engage in deeper more interesting subject rather than just small talk. Again. I never got any good online dating results ever, save for japan, but there the biggest detriment was not having enough time or living too far away. but the culture is weirdly different there, the women are usually the initiators.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 8:39 am

I find different dating sites attract different sorts of people.
Maybe try out POF?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 12:05 pm

They're all the same really.

And same people too :lol: