Do we need a UK ASD pressure group?
Hell to the YES 100%  100%  [ 6 ]
Erm, NO 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Floundering
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jul 2017, 5:51 am

As the title suggests, is there a UK based ASD/Aspergers LEAD pressure group?

And if there isn't are there people who would participate and support the creating of one?

Floundering

10 Jul 2017, 6:50 am

Well there's 2 of us that thinks so, does that mean we have a movement ;p lol.

In all seriousness though we know that there isn't, whilst various organisations such as NAS offer lots of rhetoric and fancy campaigns, they actually supply very little in terms of real support for those of us on the spectrum.

Which segues into a major pet hate of mine. What a good little earner ASD is for NTs, when it turns out they know very little of the condition or its diversity. WE are the experts, if they don't want to learn from us we must teach.

So i propose 2 things i would like this movement to be.

An active, vociferous campaign for people on the ASD spectrum BY people on the spectrum.

A community lead support group for our peers, through action.

These are just ideas to set the tone of thinking i suppose, add your own thoughts, if people want to start this i'll put a voting system in place to ballot a sort of constitution.

This is up to you folks now, i can build the infrastructure we need to do this within hours; i have lots of experience in this particular area, putting political pressure on governments is my aspie 'thing' ;) (i might elaborate at a later date ;p ) i've taken the past year off to deal with diagnosis and burnout, now the diagnosis is official it's time to throw my hat in the ring with my kin during these stormy political times.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 4:58 pm

I'm not entirely sure what a pressure group is but I'm more than happy to help.

I've found support is much better for children or adults who more "severe" if you get what I mean. and the concentration is always on children usually. There is next to no support for those who have left school and are looking for work.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 6:26 am

That's so wrong, no support for them the whole way... and yes, start the damn group, there are SO SO SO many people on WP who would want to join a group like that and just don't know how or know how many of us there are. Maybe start an ASAN chapter there.

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2017, 10:57 pm

Do you know Autistic UK (https://autisticuk.org/)? There's also many individual autistic people who are making pressure on the UK government. Actually, UK legislation and public understanding of autism is much more advanced than pretty much anywhere else.

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2017, 6:35 am

There is the National Autistic Society. You could argue that it's not a true pressure group as it's focused on parents of autistic children rather than autistic people, but it's still better than Autism Speaks and at one point it even publically condemned an Autism Speaks advert.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2017, 4:54 am

Aspendos wrote:
Do you know Autistic UK (https://autisticuk.org/)? There's also many individual autistic people who are making pressure on the UK government. Actually, UK legislation and public understanding of autism is much more advanced than pretty much anywhere else.

Indeed! Autistic UK (Formally the Autism Rights Movement) is exactly what we need and what you are talking about. Autistic UK is the only Autism right group in the UK run by autistic people, for autistic people. They have displays at all 3 Autism shows amongst others. Membership is free for autistic people and I strong urge all of you in the UK to join...Nothing about us, without us!!

BBC: Radio 4

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2017, 5:01 am

TUAndrew wrote:
There is the National Autistic Society. You could argue that it's not a true pressure group as it's focused on parents of autistic children rather than autistic people, but it's still better than Autism Speaks and at one point it even publically condemned an Autism Speaks advert.

The National Autistic Society are nothing, I repeat nothing like aspic hating Autism speaks. They are a wonderful organisation who I have nothing but praise for. Laurna Wing amongst many other good, decent and reliable folks were attached to them for many years. There would be no Autism Act (2009) without them.

BBC: Radio 4