Making your teachers aware of/understand your Aspergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

palmer431bc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2017, 8:13 am

Because of my Aspergers causing me problems with timing, organisation and anxiety this can cause problems for me when it comes to school. I am often late for school, because of timing and also because my anti-depressants give me nightmares resulting in little sleep, causing me to accidently miss my alarm and over-sleep. I also have problems with organising my time when it comes to homework and predicting the consequences of missing deadlines - I struggle to see the "whole picture".

Disruptions to my routine also cause problems at school. For example, when we we abruptly taken to a "UCAS fair" and this meant the Geography mock exam was moved. This threw me off for
the whole week and this resulted in more lates, missed homework and even my revision for other exams. Sometimes, the anxiety resulting in a routine change e.g. own clothes day is bad enough for me to stay off school.

The real task for me though is having to explain all this to my teachers. How the hell do I go about doing it? Who do I tell? I honestly hate the thought of having to go up to a teacher and then having explain this to them, i'd probably break down right in front of them!

Despite this, i feel as if it is about time i made the school aware of my disability, as I am starting to get into trouble for too many absences and lates. I was diagnosed a few months ago and even if the school has been notfied and thus I dont need to explain anything, I dont think any of my teachers even understand what Aspergers syndrome is...

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any kind of advice would be much appreciated.

“The heart — it is a physical organ, we all know. But how much more an emotional organ — this we also know. Love, like blood, flows from the heart. Are blood and love related? Does a heart pump blood as it pumps love? Is love the blood of the universe?”

PhoenixRain
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jul 2017, 1:47 pm

There should be a specific department that handles disability situations that you can fill out paperwork to have on file. I do know from the fact that my father-in-law is a professor at a small college that unless it gets specifically brought up, the instructors/teachers will not be made aware of it due to privacy laws. So you'll most likely have to end up speaking with your professors individually after filing the paperwork with the disability department. You can then start going about requesting accommodations. They should have these procedures written down in your student handbook.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

peterparkur
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jul 2017, 2:13 pm

At the college I go to, there's a specific department that deals with this kind of thing. I asked them to let my teachers know that I had Autism and thus, would have some problems with the work, participating, etc. Maybe you could do something similar, like notifying your school of your diagnosis and asking a school counsellor (or someone similar) to let your teachers know on your behalf?