I want to have friends but I get too scared

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

RuRuPachu
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2017, 10:07 am

Hi, I'm wondering whether anyone else has this problem -- I really want to have friends and interact with people, but I find it exhausting and frightening sometimes to talk to them at all, even over email or text. Like after a while, when I see I've got a text from a 'new friend' (no idea if they're actually my friend or not, I get attached too quickly) my stomach drops and I leave it unread for ages. Same thing happens with old friends, and then obviously I end up with no friends because I refuse to communicate with them basically. How do I fix this? Does anyone else have this?

Ruby

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 2:30 pm

I also find making friends a scary thing. Emailing or texting or replying to a post, all of it to me is frightening!

It's just so awesome having social anxiety! (Epic sarcasm)

I have experienced a feeling where I saw someone online that I thought could be a friend and thought ("Yay a new friend"!) Then realize that I sound so desperate that if they heard that they would run. I also have no idea where the line is between acquaintance and friend, which makes it even more scary as people act differently between each one.

So either I can come on too strong or I can hold back and bore the person. Socializing is so exhausting!

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

SpreadsheetMaster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jul 2017, 10:51 am

I have social anxiety, but find myself on the receiving end of this more often than not. I too give up on trying to talk to people who won't reply after a while. Try cognitive therapy and/or medication if you haven't already or it'll be nearly impossible to get and maintain friendships.