Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Druid Kane
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2017, 11:13 am

Hi,

Off and on, as life goes, I have to apply for a job. But at no point, either on the application form or the interview stage, do I disclose that I have asperger's syndrome. There are several reasons why I do this, and its because, I firmly believe, that I get more notice from employers when I appear not to have it, than when I mention it to them. I know they can't discriminate against me for my condition, but the number of interviews and responses I've got is higher when I keep it to myself, than when I announce my condition.

A second reason why I never tell my employer, is explaining AS, and how it effects me. Sometimes it can be a hurdle simply explaining in depth, what AS is, and then trying to explain how it relates to me. My AS would be described as mild, as I can still perform tasks that someone without AS can.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 11:25 am

Of course, it is your choice to avoid disclosing, but, in the United States, at least, disclosing to an employer is the legal method of claiming disability status and, therefore, protection from arbitrary practices. I don't know if there are similar laws in your community, but you might want to investigate your laws, and reconsider their effects on your career. Also, in the United States, employers are prohibited from disclosing or confirming workers' statuses to others (except those who have a need to know; such as staffers who are expected to accommodate others' needs and possible insurance staffers, among others), so, disclosing has its benefits.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)