Menstruation and the mind – a complicated relationship

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 11:12 pm

Quote:
Many women believe that hormone fluctuations during menstruation affect their memory, their ability to think rationally and their ability to multitask. But a new study casts doubt on the idea of so-called “period brain”.

Over to you,Ladies.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 1:02 am

have they managed to find 68 women who are not hormonally modified? and which control group?
the problem with media-logic is that its propaganda
at least a snap-bit of intended meaning is supposed to stick
closeread, nothing in it but dragging other suggestions into it
oh and graphs, what more to stun the pops
hardly you find a graph that says anything or is explained or used accordingly, in general,
in this article its decorative,

" Unfortunately, findings in this field are often inconclusive or contradictory. For example, it has been found that oestrogen can influence aspects of cognition, such as working memory and attention, with some studies suggesting that higher levels of oestrogen can lead to poor cognitive performance, while others have suggested that high oestrogen levels are associated with improved cognitive functioning. Why these results are inconsistent is not clear. However, when the vast range of chemical systems that oestrogen interacts with in the brain are considered, it’s perhaps not surprising that the relationship between the menstrual cycle and cognition is complex."

the nothingburger
continues
let's put 'personality' ?? in the mix

"In a different study, we investigated the effect of oestrogen on memory in people with a specific set of personality traits. These traits included being easily distracted, often daydreaming and being confused when several things happen at once."

"Participants completed a task designed to create false memories (memories of an event that didn’t occur)." :skull:

"It appeared that the effect of oestrogen on memory and cognition may differ depending on the personality of the participant."

mission complete, but if the reporting message sticks, that's better

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 3:16 am

I think they just need me as a test subject and that will convince them otherwise. :lol:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 9:31 am

Another garbage study-why do they need to study everything to death?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 1:30 pm

Yeah, I get it. We wimmins are weird because we bleed for about a week every month and not die.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 12:17 am

IstominFan wrote:
Another garbage study-why do they need to study everything to death?

so they can be sure.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 3:55 am

firemonkey wrote:
Quote:
Many women believe that hormone fluctuations during menstruation affect their memory, their ability to think rationally and their ability to multitask. But a new study casts doubt on the idea of so-called “period brain”.

Over to you,Ladies.

Hormone withdrawl can affect mood and cognition. The extent to which women are affected, however, is debatable and probably varies from woman to woman. I suspect this is less often an issue in normal healthy women and that women who are more prone to this do not have optimal hormone levels to begin with.

I should also state, medical science used to also believe that menstrual cramps were psychological. Of course this was the testament of men who had never experienced menstrual cramps. Had they been able to, they would not have made what would have been an obviously ridiculous claim.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 2:35 pm

obviously god is punishing us for not being pregnant :roll:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 4:35 pm

Ah, :lol: so that also means when I'm eating something that would make me go hyperactive, it means it shouldn't make me hyperactive as my aptitude wasn't affected? That I purposely become more social and less attentive?

Or in case of discomfort, that it didn't mattered? Like any emotions and sensations, physiological, psychological, or otherwise shouldn't matter?? :lmao: As it's not supposed to affect cognition and decision making?? Along with behavior, mood, and attitude??

LOL I WISH!!.. :x

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 4:35 pm

Really? You try concentrating and mulit tasking with cramps in your abdomen and all down your legs with a headache and uncomfortably swollen breasts whilst overheating and feeling woozy.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 10:45 pm

seaweed wrote:
obviously god is punishing us for not being pregnant :roll:

Being pregnant can also be rather punishing.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 2:13 am

According to a comic strip I just read, if the uterus fails to conceive a child, it feels such shame and dishonor that it commits Seppuku with a tiny Samurai sword, and that's what causes the cramps and bleeding. 8O

peregrina
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2017, 9:40 pm

How about those who don't try to conceive? Mmm...maybe that's why the uterus grows fibroids instead. Pregnant with tumours.

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

04 Oct 2017, 7:26 am

Chronos wrote:

Being pregnant can also be rather punishing.

Hell yes, I'll take another 20 years of monthly cramps and bloodbath instead, no more pregnancies for me!

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 2:33 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
According to a comic strip I just read, if the uterus fails to conceive a child, it feels such shame and dishonor that it commits Seppuku with a tiny Samurai sword, and that's what causes the cramps and bleeding. 8O
:lol:
Is it this one?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/4d/96/bc4d9684fe71374d000bf074c0079520.jpg