Autistic man held in ER - no other place to treat him

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 1:51 am

With no place to go, man with autism held in ER for 28 days Officials say not enough services available for adults with developmental disabilities

Quote:
A 22-year-old man with developmental disabilities was held in a hospital emergency room for nearly a month earlier this year, and his family said his story isn't unique.

EXETER, N.H. —
A 22-year-old man with developmental disabilities was held in a hospital emergency room for nearly a month earlier this year, and his family said his story isn't unique.

Alex Sanok was diagnosed with autism when he was 4 years old. His mother, Ann Sanok, said he went to Exeter schools and reached an intellectual age of 7, but he became increasingly angry and aggressive as he got older.

"He would go out in the yard and throw things," she said. "He would throw pots. We have wonderful neighbors, and they're all so understanding, but it frightened me because we have a lot of children in the neighborhood."

Area social services did what they could, his mother said.

"We have had him on our waiting list for residential services, which is what he needed, for at least a year," said Chris Muns, CEO of One Sky Community Services.

In early May, Alex Sanok stopped communicating and was breaking windows. In desperation, police were called.

"They were out in the street with him for a half an hour trying to talk him down before they had to grab him," his mother said. "Where do you go?"

He was taken to Exeter Hospital's emergency room, where he stayed, in one room, for 28 days.

"I called everybody," Ann Sanok said. "I called the governor's office. I called state reps. I emailed state senators.

No one had any answers, she said. One Sky Community Services eventually found a location in Massachusetts to take him.

Muns said there's a lack of facilities and training in New Hampshire for people with developmental disabilities.

"The resources have not kept pace with what the need is over the years, and I'm just concerned that we're reaching a breaking point," he said.

In a written statement, Gov. Chris Sununu said that some relief might be on the way.

"It is unacceptable to have individuals boarded in hospital emergency departments for that length of time without treatment," he said. "In the weeks and months ahead, we look forward to working hard to implement the improvements that address these types of situations that are contained in the recently passed state budget."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 7:22 am

Been going on FOREVER.

I remember 3 different times, when I worked at a hospital, when a family "granny dumped" a older man (50ish) into the ER. Looking back, they probably all.had Aspergers. They were really low functioning, but couldn't fend for themselves.

The men didn't have guardian, so what the family did wasn't legal.

Usual scenario is mom and dad died. Either the siblings didn't want to deal with the person anymore OR there wasn't any else that could/would.

The men did have some minor medical issues, so they could be admitted to a medical floor. Then social work would scramble to find a place for them on the outside.

Being in an ER hold room for 28 days is abuse. I hope at least he got an actual room, and wasn't parked in the hallway or in curtain room for the 28 days.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 10:52 am

Tawaki wrote:

Being in an ER hold room for 28 days is abuse. I hope at least he got an actual room, and wasn't parked in the hallway or in curtain room for the 28 days.

ER is sensory hell

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 7:12 am

"A location in Masachussetts" they found, did they? It wasn't the Judge Rotenberg Center, was it? The JRC takes EVERYONE, the HARDEST of cases, but they ABUSE their inmates something awful. I've been researching that hellhole for 10 years. I know a LOT about it.