02 Aug 2017, 3:52 pm

This rock could be an aspie.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 3:25 pm

xDominiel wrote:
adorkablegeekgirl wrote:
I disagree about Castiel. I know he's an angel, but then again, so is Gabriel... And so is Anna... They don't strike me as autistic, but Castiel does. I would speculate that he has some sort of angel Asperger's, which is more common than human Asperger's... Just a theory I like, though. Maybe it's just wishful thinking... probably is. I like connecting to characters.
I would also like to bring up Will Graham from Hannibal, who multiple times claimed to be on the spectrum, before the show chickened out. I loved him and found him relatable. I think it may be even a bit clearer if you read Red Dragon.

That's true.. I wonder if the writers just kinda forgot about the whole "angels don't understand humans" thing they got going at first. Would be funny if the angels were all angelic aspies.

^this. Cas was the first Angel on Supernatural. They made him act the way he did because he was an Angel. Then they forgot this for the other Angels, except of course for Cas himself, because it was by then an interwoven part of the character.

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2017, 3:32 am

Spock (Star Trek): He many not be an earth humanoid, but if Asperger syndrome and ASD's were inter-dimensional neurological conditions who would certainly fit the criteria.

Reginald Barclay (Star Trek TNG): It's likely he has a mild form of it alongside an underlying, pervasive and debilitating social anxiety disorder.

Lieutenant Commander Data (Star Trek TNG): Not neurobiologically autistic as he is android organism, but he has virtually all of the social ineptitude; eccentricity traits, and fulfills the traditional Aspergian nerd stereotype commonly associated with the high functioning autistic neurotype (and has a compromised emotion chip after all). However, while he has significant problems with social communication, his aptitude in verbal communication is way off the charts compared to most people with ASD, only a small proportion highly gifted or intellectually people with Asperger Syndrome could communicate like that to conceal their social inhibitors. Since he is an android he wasn't designated by his creator to exhibit the sensory issues and motor co-ordination deficits that most autistics have.

Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory): Fits virtually all of the social interaction difficulties and ineptitude; associated with ASD and the traditional nerd stereotype, alongside restricted, repetitive and preoccupied interests in scientific disciplines. It's likely that he would met most of the criteria, but there is no record of sensory issues that is an imperative diagnostic requirement in the DSM 5 which is only thing that I agreed with doing. Some think he has an Obsessive Compulsive Personality rather than ASD.

Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter): Extremely eccentric; somewhat nerdy, bubbly, but sweet natured girl with a lot of individuality. She has the social awkwardness, eccentricity traits and deficiencies in social communication (verbal not non-verbal) commonly associated with the high functioning autistic & Asperger's Syndrome neurotype, but there is no record of her exhibiting any sensory issues or the motor co-ordination deficits associated with ASD that is known of.

Sci Twi (MLP Equestria Girls): Twilight Sparkle's human counterpart was a lot more nerdier, socially awkward and introverted; therefore a far more likely candidate for having Asperger's Syndrome, and she easily fulfilled the traditional Aspergian nerd stereotype along (despite displaying a scientific skeptic mentality, she innovated a fictional quantum device that would unlock and decipher inter-dimensional portals that lead to infinite dimensions that consciously and spiritually evolved conspiracy theorists (inc paranormal believers) would be drawn to, while corrupt government conspirators would love to seize hold of and formally suppress it's existence) with exhibiting the stereotypical eccentricity traits. There is no doubt that social ineptitude difficulties such as shyness were a pre-eminent, but she had no difficulty with one sided and slightly formal verbalized conversations with her friend Sunset Shimmer, then again a great majority of high functioning autistics are capable of this. Her ability to communicate socially (when needed) as a means of compensation is likely to be methodologically attributed to her profound intellectual giftedness and academic ability, which is sometimes possible in a small proportion of gifted aspies (and females with this profile are much better at this and such an opinion is coming from someone who opposes 2nd and 3rd Wave Feminism). Like some of the characters mentioned here however, there is no record of sensory issues or motor-coordination deficits that many autistics have.

Maud Pie (MLP:FIM - Pinkie Pie's sister): Probably the most near 100 percent full blown case ASD that I have witnessed in aspects relevant to restricted and preoccupied interests, and virtually all of the social interaction difficulties as well as the ineptitude. While the record of exhibited sensory issues is unknown, she is a highly likely candidate to be considered on the autism spectrum.

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 1 out of 200
Alexithymia Questionnaire: 166/185 AQ: 49/50 EQ: 9/80

Last edited by TheRedPedant93 on 08 Aug 2017, 4:51 am, edited 6 times in total.

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2017, 4:34 am

Dr Spencer Reid (Criminal Minds) and Joel Glicker (Addams Family Values - I suspect he is a very overlooked candidate for Asperger's Syndrome) deserve highly honorable mentions too.

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 1 out of 200
Alexithymia Questionnaire: 166/185 AQ: 49/50 EQ: 9/80

GreenAsparagus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Aug 2017, 1:35 pm

TheRedPedant93 wrote:
Dr Spencer Reid (Criminal Minds)
Good example of someone with OCD too.

Penelope Garcia from the same show comes across as autistic too. Very eccentric.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 6:19 am

...Dilton Doiley from Archie Comics! :D

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2017, 6:22 am

Agent 47 (Hitman):
He treats parties and other social events with the same disconnected alienation as military facilities; when he puts on a disguise he's attempting to fit in with the NTs.
He's not very verbal and only trusts a small circle of friends.
Despite being hugely wealthy, he's perfectly happy to spend his time with his special interest; gardening.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 9:39 pm

milhouse

steve urkel

kimmy gibler

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 4:59 pm

TheRedPedant93 wrote:
Spock (Star Trek): He many not be an earth humanoid, but if Asperger syndrome and ASD's were inter-dimensional neurological conditions who would certainly fit the criteria.

Reginald Barclay (Star Trek TNG): It's likely he has a mild form of it alongside an underlying, pervasive and debilitating social anxiety disorder.

Lieutenant Commander Data (Star Trek TNG): Not neurobiologically autistic as he is android organism, but he has virtually all of the social ineptitude; eccentricity traits, and fulfills the traditional Aspergian nerd stereotype commonly associated with the high functioning autistic neurotype (and has a compromised emotion chip after all). However, while he has significant problems with social communication, his aptitude in verbal communication is way off the charts compared to most people with ASD, only a small proportion highly gifted or intellectually people with Asperger Syndrome could communicate like that to conceal their social inhibitors. Since he is an android he wasn't designated by his creator to exhibit the sensory issues and motor co-ordination deficits that most autistics have.

Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory): Fits virtually all of the social interaction difficulties and ineptitude; associated with ASD and the traditional nerd stereotype, alongside restricted, repetitive and preoccupied interests in scientific disciplines. It's likely that he would met most of the criteria, but there is no record of sensory issues that is an imperative diagnostic requirement in the DSM 5 which is only thing that I agreed with doing. Some think he has an Obsessive Compulsive Personality rather than ASD.

Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter): Extremely eccentric; somewhat nerdy, bubbly, but sweet natured girl with a lot of individuality. She has the social awkwardness, eccentricity traits and deficiencies in social communication (verbal not non-verbal) commonly associated with the high functioning autistic & Asperger's Syndrome neurotype, but there is no record of her exhibiting any sensory issues or the motor co-ordination deficits associated with ASD that is known of.

Sci Twi (MLP Equestria Girls): Twilight Sparkle's human counterpart was a lot more nerdier, socially awkward and introverted; therefore a far more likely candidate for having Asperger's Syndrome, and she easily fulfilled the traditional Aspergian nerd stereotype along (despite displaying a scientific skeptic mentality, she innovated a fictional quantum device that would unlock and decipher inter-dimensional portals that lead to infinite dimensions that consciously and spiritually evolved conspiracy theorists (inc paranormal believers) would be drawn to, while corrupt government conspirators would love to seize hold of and formally suppress it's existence) with exhibiting the stereotypical eccentricity traits. There is no doubt that social ineptitude difficulties such as shyness were a pre-eminent, but she had no difficulty with one sided and slightly formal verbalized conversations with her friend Sunset Shimmer, then again a great majority of high functioning autistics are capable of this. Her ability to communicate socially (when needed) as a means of compensation is likely to be methodologically attributed to her profound intellectual giftedness and academic ability, which is sometimes possible in a small proportion of gifted aspies (and females with this profile are much better at this and such an opinion is coming from someone who opposes 2nd and 3rd Wave Feminism). Like some of the characters mentioned here however, there is no record of sensory issues or motor-coordination deficits that many autistics have.

Maud Pie (MLP:FIM - Pinkie Pie's sister): Probably the most near 100 percent full blown case ASD that I have witnessed in aspects relevant to restricted and preoccupied interests, and virtually all of the social interaction difficulties as well as the ineptitude. While the record of exhibited sensory issues is unknown, she is a highly likely candidate to be considered on the autism spectrum.

Yes on Reg. Also ROM the Ferengi from DS9!! !

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 5:17 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
milhouse

steve urkel

kimmy gibler

Urkel. Excellent example. Yes black Aspies DO exist.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2017, 8:56 am

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 2:22 pm

It's kind of meaningless to diagnose characters. You are not a professional with experience I assume? Sorry if you are. This site seems to forget that what looks like one mental disorder could be a personality trait, another mental illness, or even a physical problem. I see people on this site acting like a self diagnosis or the diagnosis from someone online means something.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 5:16 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
It's kind of meaningless to diagnose characters. You are not a professional with experience I assume? Sorry if you are. This site seems to forget that what looks like one mental disorder could be a personality trait, another mental illness, or even a physical problem. I see people on this site acting like a self diagnosis or the diagnosis from someone online means something.

Granted however sometimes psychologists give misdiagnoses

The psychologist that diagnosed me. Rote Memory portion of the IQ test he gave me. He recited ten digit number s and told me to repeat it backwards

And all of the numbers started with San Diego area codes

Thus making it easier for any client including me to score high

And that could have made it easier to fulfill the diagnostic criteria for autism

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 8:02 pm

BettaPonic wrote:

The psychologist that diagnosed me. Rote Memory portion of the IQ test he gave me. He recited ten digit number s and told me to repeat it backwards

And that could have made it easier to fulfill the diagnostic criteria for autism

All medical professionals misdiagnosis. They still have a better shot of getting it right though. Sorry if I came off as an ass, it's just self diagnosis and internet diagnosis really annoys me. It seems pointless. You can't get any real help with it. I see so many people using self diagnosis to feel special.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 8:48 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:

___________________________________________________________________________________
All medical professionals misdiagnosis. They still have a better shot of getting it right though. Sorry if I came off as an ass, it's just self diagnosis and internet diagnosis really annoys me. It seems pointless. You can't get any real help with it. I see so many people using self diagnosis to feel special.

___________________________________________________________________________________

no, you did not come off badly.

a neuropsychiatrist diagnosed me. and my profile on Wrong Planet specifies that.

reading books about autism could provide "real help".

depends on the definition of "real help".

at least one psychologist acted like he was giving me "real help", but it was more like he was telling me what was wrong about my appearance (failure to comb hair or iron pants), and what was wrong with me. what he had the nerve to tell me, was wrong with me, could have been functions of AS. even though i disclosed it to him. in writing.

but everything either helps, hurts, or has no effect.

sometimes it is not possible to measure the effect. sometimes the effects are not immediate, direct, or visible.

but that psychologist interacted with me nine years ago.

and to this day, i strongly doubt he gave me any "real help". not only that, but i go so far as to claim that he did not give me any type of "help" whatsoever. not even fake "help"

anyways yeah. the reason why i got a diagnosis when i was 21 was b/c my precious lil "parents" did not send me to get a diagnosis when i was under 18.

and i was having trouble with school. and wanted testing accommodations. for a long time, suspected autism.

wanted it confirmed

anyways.

but the school did not give me testing accommodations, even after i gave it a copy of the diagnostic report.

nor has work given me accommodations.

and certainly nothing has come of the diagnosis, positively. except permanent jury duty exemption.

so quite frankly, i do not care if someone did a self diagnosis.

not everyone can afford a clinical diagnosis.

sometimes psychologists misdiagnose.

besides, after i got a clinical diagnosis, then what?

answer: nothing

8O

so do i regret getting one?

quite frankly i do not regret getting one. made me feel validated.

but functionally (in terms of work and school accommodations), the effects of the diagnosis were minimal. and not worth the financial price.

but whatever you can't change the past

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 5:52 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:

no, you did not come off badly.

a neuropsychiatrist diagnosed me. and my profile on Wrong Planet specifies that.

reading books about autism could provide "real help".

depends on the definition of "real help".

at least one psychologist acted like he was giving me "real help", but it was more like he was telling me what was wrong about my appearance (failure to comb hair or iron pants), and what was wrong with me. what he had the nerve to tell me, was wrong with me, could have been functions of AS. even though i disclosed it to him. in writing.

but everything either helps, hurts, or has no effect.

sometimes it is not possible to measure the effect. sometimes the effects are not immediate, direct, or visible.

but that psychologist interacted with me nine years ago.

and to this day, i strongly doubt he gave me any "real help". not only that, but i go so far as to claim that he did not give me any type of "help" whatsoever. not even fake "help"

anyways yeah. the reason why i got a diagnosis when i was 21 was b/c my precious lil "parents" did not send me to get a diagnosis when i was under 18.

and i was having trouble with school. and wanted testing accommodations. for a long time, suspected autism.

wanted it confirmed

anyways.

but the school did not give me testing accommodations, even after i gave it a copy of the diagnostic report.

nor has work given me accommodations.

and certainly nothing has come of the diagnosis, positively. except permanent jury duty exemption.

so quite frankly, i do not care if someone did a self diagnosis.

not everyone can afford a clinical diagnosis.

sometimes psychologists misdiagnose.

besides, after i got a clinical diagnosis, then what?

answer: nothing

8O

so do i regret getting one?

quite frankly i do not regret getting one. made me feel validated.

but functionally (in terms of work and school accommodations), the effects of the diagnosis were minimal. and not worth the financial price.

but whatever you can't change the past

Autism a self diagnosis might not change help, but with more severe mental illness you would need a proffesional for medication. Autism is linked with other mental health problems and that complex web can be hard for a layman.