BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 5:52 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
It's kind of meaningless to diagnose characters. You are not a professional with experience I assume? Sorry if you are. This site seems to forget that what looks like one mental disorder could be a personality trait, another mental illness, or even a physical problem. I see people on this site acting like a self diagnosis or the diagnosis from someone online means something.

Granted however sometimes psychologists give misdiagnoses

The psychologist that diagnosed me. Rote Memory portion of the IQ test he gave me. He recited ten digit number s and told me to repeat it backwards

And all of the numbers started with San Diego area codes

Thus making it easier for any client including me to score high

And that could have made it easier to fulfill the diagnostic criteria for autism

___________________________________________________________________________________
All medical professionals misdiagnosis. They still have a better shot of getting it right though. Sorry if I came off as an ass, it's just self diagnosis and internet diagnosis really annoys me. It seems pointless. You can't get any real help with it. I see so many people using self diagnosis to feel special.

___________________________________________________________________________________

no, you did not come off badly.

a neuropsychiatrist diagnosed me. and my profile on Wrong Planet specifies that.

reading books about autism could provide "real help".

depends on the definition of "real help".

at least one psychologist acted like he was giving me "real help", but it was more like he was telling me what was wrong about my appearance (failure to comb hair or iron pants), and what was wrong with me. what he had the nerve to tell me, was wrong with me, could have been functions of AS. even though i disclosed it to him. in writing.

but everything either helps, hurts, or has no effect.

sometimes it is not possible to measure the effect. sometimes the effects are not immediate, direct, or visible.

but that psychologist interacted with me nine years ago.

and to this day, i strongly doubt he gave me any "real help". not only that, but i go so far as to claim that he did not give me any type of "help" whatsoever. not even fake "help"

anyways yeah. the reason why i got a diagnosis when i was 21 was b/c my precious lil "parents" did not send me to get a diagnosis when i was under 18.

and i was having trouble with school. and wanted testing accommodations. for a long time, suspected autism.

wanted it confirmed

anyways.

but the school did not give me testing accommodations, even after i gave it a copy of the diagnostic report.

nor has work given me accommodations.

and certainly nothing has come of the diagnosis, positively. except permanent jury duty exemption.

so quite frankly, i do not care if someone did a self diagnosis.

not everyone can afford a clinical diagnosis.

sometimes psychologists misdiagnose.

besides, after i got a clinical diagnosis, then what?

answer: nothing

8O

so do i regret getting one?

quite frankly i do not regret getting one. made me feel validated.

but functionally (in terms of work and school accommodations), the effects of the diagnosis were minimal. and not worth the financial price.

but whatever you can't change the past

Autism a self diagnosis might not change help, but with more severe mental illness you would need a proffesional for medication. Autism is linked with other mental health problems and that complex web can be hard for a layman.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 5:18 pm

In the T.V. show Monk, Adrian Monk, who has OCD, had a brother who showed up in one episode. The brother seemed to have Asperger syndrome.

Justgeorge
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Aug 2017, 2:50 pm

What about Dexter Morgan from Dexter? Could it be that his adoptive father was wrong in labeling him a sociopath?
-Emotional flatness
-Strict adherence to routines and rituals
-Narrow field of interests
-Near obsessive need to categorize and collect.
Someone i know who watched the show brought up this theory and now as i rewatch the series from thispoint of view it's a very tragic story.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 4:53 pm

Very possibly the entire Tillerman family from Cynthia Voigt's Tillerman Cycle (of which Dicey's Song is the most famous).

Dicey and James might not be. I kinda think they are, though.

Abigail and Liza and Maybeth and Sammy definitely had it, and probably Abigail's husband too.

You never really 'meet' Priscilla, but Eunice probably has it.

I didn't enjoy The Runner or Sons From Afar enough to hazard a diagnosis on John or Samuel or Francis.

None of the characters are incapable. They're all just... odd (in a very particular way that I recognize all too well). That sets them all apart from everyone else, except for each other. In the cases where it sets them apart from each other too, well, things don't go well at all.

Writing them that way was a deliberate decision on the author's part; she was very opinionated about and very sympathetic to differences of all kinds, including what James Tillerman calls "hereditary craziness." She might have labelled them if she could have, but those books were written in the early '80s. The label didn't exist.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 2:52 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
It's kind of meaningless to diagnose characters. You are not a professional with experience I assume? Sorry if you are. This site seems to forget that what looks like one mental disorder could be a personality trait, another mental illness, or even a physical problem. I see people on this site acting like a self diagnosis or the diagnosis from someone online means something.

Granted however sometimes psychologists give misdiagnoses

The psychologist that diagnosed me. Rote Memory portion of the IQ test he gave me. He recited ten digit number s and told me to repeat it backwards

And all of the numbers started with San Diego area codes

Thus making it easier for any client including me to score high

And that could have made it easier to fulfill the diagnostic criteria for autism

All medical professionals misdiagnosis. They still have a better shot of getting it right though. Sorry if I came off as an ass, it's just self diagnosis and internet diagnosis really annoys me. It seems pointless. You can't get any real help with it. I see so many people using self diagnosis to feel special.

no, you did not come off badly.

a neuropsychiatrist diagnosed me. and my profile on Wrong Planet specifies that.

reading books about autism could provide "real help".

depends on the definition of "real help".

at least one psychologist acted like he was giving me "real help", but it was more like he was telling me what was wrong about my appearance (failure to comb hair or iron pants), and what was wrong with me. what he had the nerve to tell me, was wrong with me, could have been functions of AS. even though i disclosed it to him. in writing.

but everything either helps, hurts, or has no effect.

sometimes it is not possible to measure the effect. sometimes the effects are not immediate, direct, or visible.

but that psychologist interacted with me nine years ago.

and to this day, i strongly doubt he gave me any "real help". not only that, but i go so far as to claim that he did not give me any type of "help" whatsoever. not even fake "help"

anyways yeah. the reason why i got a diagnosis when i was 21 was b/c my precious lil "parents" did not send me to get a diagnosis when i was under 18.

and i was having trouble with school. and wanted testing accommodations. for a long time, suspected autism.

wanted it confirmed

anyways.

but the school did not give me testing accommodations, even after i gave it a copy of the diagnostic report.

nor has work given me accommodations.

and certainly nothing has come of the diagnosis, positively. except permanent jury duty exemption.

so quite frankly, i do not care if someone did a self diagnosis.

not everyone can afford a clinical diagnosis.

sometimes psychologists misdiagnose.

besides, after i got a clinical diagnosis, then what?

answer: nothing

8O

so do i regret getting one?

quite frankly i do not regret getting one. made me feel validated.

but functionally (in terms of work and school accommodations), the effects of the diagnosis were minimal. and not worth the financial price.

but whatever you can't change the past

Autism a self diagnosis might not change help, but with more severe mental illness you would need a proffesional for medication. Autism is linked with other mental health problems and that complex web can be hard for a layman.

Yes but the psychologist that diagnosed me with autism did not give equal consideration to other conditions such as schizophrenia and nonverbal learning disability :ninja:

The entire diagnosis lasted about ten hours

That was the only time that that psychologist interacted with me

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 8:34 pm

Besides that, diagnosing fictional characters is pretty close to completely harmless, can provide some insight...

...and is FUN. :lol: :twisted:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 12:38 am

Fictional autism characters 'stereotyped'

Quote:
Fictional portrayals of autistic people, such as Dustin Hoffman's character in Rain Man, tend to portray characters in a stereotypical fashion, new research suggests.

Experts have found that the characters tend to be unrealistically aligned with textbook diagnostic criteria and do not accurately reflect the variety seen in real life.

The team from the Universities of Edinburgh and Oslo analysed 26 fictional personalities from TV and film.

They judged each character against the standard criteria that doctors use to diagnose autism, known as the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders or DSM-5.

Most of the characters displayed at least nine of the 12 defining characteristics of the condition, the researchers found.

In reality, this level of alignment with the diagnostic criteria is rare.

About half of those analysed are portrayed as being a genius or having some other exceptional skill, such as in Rain Man.

No kidding

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 3:47 pm

Ami Mizuno from Sailor Moon.

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 15, 2017)

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 10:28 am

Snively Robotnik from Sonic SatAM cartoon/Archie Comics
Stu Pickles from Rugrats
Tom from Tom & Jerry (just for lol)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 10:35 pm

The character that Ray Davies plays in 'Long Distance Piano Player'.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 7:17 am

Many people seem to think Stannis from ASOIAF / Game of Thrones has mild Asperger's.

odonata
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Sep 2017, 11:21 pm

I am shocked that no-one has mentioned Gary Bell from Alphas! But maybe that's too obvious and/or obscure.

Definitely have to concur about Reginald Barclay from TNG, though his social deficits could be due to some other combination of extreme social anxiety and withdrawal into fantasy (holodeck).

It seems like there's always at least one socially awkward outsider in the various Star Trek series. Spock from TOS and Data from TNG, who have been mentioned, and Odo from DS9 and Seven of Nine from VOY, who have not. Odo is an alien, but I always related with his struggle to understand "humanoids". He also has a wonderful obsession with order.

I'm not sure if we're sticking to fantasy/sci-fi or not, but I've always wondered about Frank Burns from MASH. Some of his quirks and challenges with understanding people and gaining and keeping friends seemed very autistic.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 11:44 pm

drwho222 wrote:
Reply to Everybody:

Doc Brown perhaps. McFly certainly not.

Spock is a special case. Hes like Castiel or Mr Data. Perhaps they act like Aspies in some ways, but its not because they are on the spectrum. Castiel is an angel, Data an android, and Spock an alien who follows an alien philosophy. They are as they are for those reasons, and not because they are Aspies.

Its not just that Spock "follows an alien philosophy" ( that would mean he was only like a human earthling of an alien culture). Its that he is an alien. So he has a whole different alien neurology. Spock is presumably a "neurotypical Vulcan"

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 11:46 pm

But whats neurotypical on Vulcan is similar to aspie on Earth.