Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

4na_
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jul 2017, 4:03 pm

When I was about 13, I used to go to a psychologist every week. Every semester, she'd talk to my parents alone, and after one of those sessions, they just got mad and had me to quit. I haven't been to a psychologist or therapist ever since- I believe she told them I might have Asperger's.
I'm 16 now, and I just have a really strong feeling that I have Asperger's. I have ALWAYS been a misfit, and I spend most of my time alone- some times I just wish I didn't have to deal with people. I did a lot of research, and I identified with most of the symptoms. I tried to talk to my parents about it, to see if they could take me to someone who could get me an official diagnosis, and they laughed at me. I tried to talk to my close (and only) friend, and now I can tell she thinks I'm crazy for thinking that. I came here because I don't know what else to do. I have no one to talk about it, and I feel like time and age are making it worse.
It really is like I'm from another planet. I have never met someone socially similar to me, if you know what I mean. Just getting it off my chest.
(Forgive my grammar, English isn't my first language)

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 12:57 pm

There is nothing wrong with being unique. What is so special about being a part of the herd anyhow? Many others have experienced what you are going through. You will learn that with time and experience. You are not alone, you have this place. I too was a misfit when I was young, I was angry at the world for being socially isolated.

Floratro
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Aug 2017, 3:29 pm

Perhaps you should ask them why exactly they think that you don't have Asperger's. It is likely that they don't know what it is and how it can actually be a good thing (judging from what you wrote, but I could be totally wrong). What you should do is try your best to educate them about autism; this way, they might realise that you were in fact correct.
There's a series of videos on YouTube called Ask an Autistic, by Amethyst Schaber, which I recommend for doing this, though there are other good sources of information. I think it'd be best to show the episode in which she explains what autism is:

If I were you, I'd try to at least convince your friend. That way, there will be someone to support you, even if your parents won't believe you. After all, younger people can be influenced more easily than older people.