Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 9:41 pm

Do you people use a walker or a cane?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 8:26 am

...I use a crutch, tall, metal. I suppose technically that's a " cane ", it's light metal. I, just yesterday, turned in my last one for a new one, as the lower grip in it had fallen out, because of the heavy use it had received I'm sure. I wanted to make myself strech up, not bend over, as much as possible. Do you use any of these, Kitty?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 8:32 am

https://houseofcanes.com/
They can help you choose the best cane for your needs.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 9:12 am

Yes. I sometimes use a walking stick (presume that's the same as a cane).
I have peripheral neuropathy which is slowly deadening the nerves in my legs, creeping up from my toes upwards. The good news, my Neurologist informs me, is that I'd have to live to 150 before I needed a wheelchair.
I need a cane more for balance and reassurance than for support... otherwise I have to use my eyes to watch every step, which gets a bit tedious. I did find, however, that I tend to trip over the cane quite a bit, so I only use it on rough ground or in crowds. Why crowds? It warns people that you are unsteady and need more room... about 50% of them get out of your way... the other 50% clearly don't give a ****.
You can get some very funky canes online. I have dark red sparkly and dark blue sparkly, made of carbon fibre... very light and strong with a nice bit of spring.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

questor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 2:30 pm

Have 2 bad knees from too many falls over the years, and from carrying around too much weight. I get around with 2 steel, offset handle, quad tipped canes. I think they are better than a walker indoors, as there are several places in my home that are a little narrow for a walker to get thru. Most canes are either wood or aluminum, but because of my weight, I got steel ones instead, as I felt they would be sturdier. The height on these canes can be adjusted, and they can each also be adjusted for either the left or right side. I believe the factories usually set them for the right side, as most people are right-legged, like being right-handed, but as I ordered them both at the same time, the company was nice enough to have each one adjusted for a different side before sending them to me. I grant that a steel cane is somewhat heavy, but I can handle the weight and it gives me some arm exercise.

I like my canes, as I can do a number of other things with them. They help bear my weight when walking, keep me steady when walking, and help me stand in place for longer periods. I use them to turn on light switches from a distance, to push things like fans a little farther away, or to pull things closer. I grip them tightly sometimes when trying to have bowel movements (IBS). They provide arm exercise and also, I sometimes carry light things in grocery bags around the house hanging from the handles, and in an emergency, they can be used for self-defence.

Rolling walkers with fold down seats, so one can take a rest are nice, but can't do all that. Also I am short, but wide. Rolling walkers wide enough to handle my width are too tall for me, even on their lowest height setting. Rolling walkers designed for my height aren't wide enough for me. I've looked into them thoroughly, so I know this to be a fact. I would never buy an older style of walker, as those don't have fold down seats, so I wouldn't be able to rest when necessary. So the canes have turned out to be a better choice for me. They are also far, far cheaper than a rolling walker. :D

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 12:03 am

questor wrote:
Have 2 bad knees from too many falls over the years, and from carrying around too much weight. I get around with 2 steel, offset handle, quad tipped canes. I think they are better than a walker indoors, as there are several places in my home that are a little narrow for a walker to get thru.

I have problems with my knees too, I too keep falling down, the last time I fell, I really hurt my knee, it was so bad, I have a bruise & a bump, when I accidentally touched it, it stings, I can feel pain, I been taking Advil. I have a Carex Small Base Designer Quad Cane, the base is too small & the cane height is a little too short. I'm short too. I need to buy a new one, I need something to help me get out of my chair, it hurts bending my knees, it hurts bending my knees when I go to the bathroom.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 12:13 am

ASS-P wrote:
...I use a crutch, tall, metal. I suppose technically that's a " cane ", it's light metal. I, just yesterday, turned in my last one for a new one, as the lower grip in it had fallen out, because of the heavy use it had received I'm sure. I wanted to make myself strech up, not bend over, as much as possible. Do you use any of these, Kitty?

I have a cane.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 2:15 am

You need to have the stick on the side of the good leg. If you have it on the side of your bag leg (like Dr House) you will crock your back. If you have two bad legs, then maybe two sticks are a good idea.
They need to be the correct height, if you stand up straight the start if the handle should be about an inch above the inside of your wrist.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame