The social ties between autism and schizophrenia

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 4:09 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
From what have read and observed autism is related to schizophrenia in the same way that autism is related to tooth decay. A person who is dxd with autism can also be dxd with having tooth decay. The two conditions can be "comorbid". But the two are not really "related".

I don't think many people get misdiagnosed with autism when they only have tooth decay but who knows :lol:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 4:17 pm

Hmmmm....thinking out loud here

What if schizophrenic paranoia is Theory of Mind gone nuts?

I'm trying to be creative here, not necessarily correct.

What if the schizophrenic mind is understimulated while the autistic mind is overstimulated? So that schizophrenics start inventing their own reality in order to have at least some info to go on?

I've often thought that Theory of Mind is a delusion, and I'm sure I've seen others share that opinion on WP. People imagine all kinds of things about other people's motivations. What's so interesting is that NTs often get other NTs right, but they misinterpret autistics badly, suggesting that Theory of Mind is really self-reference within a group of people who share similar characteristics.

I've at times been surprised at the social confidence of people who are apt to believe the mailman is trying to poison them.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 4:28 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
I know Wikipedia used to have an article on schizotypal autism , but it's since disappeared.

It was removed because it was considered a hoax but still can be read HERE

Probably written by someone who wanted a label but thought they had autism and were told they didn't and were told they had schizotypical instead so they wrote that article describing themselves because they didn't get the diagnoses they wanted they thought was the answer for their problem.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 2:04 pm

This is a schizophrenia simulator a reporter tried... More often than not people on the spectrum were and still are seen as being schizophrenic because they may talk to themselves, especially as children. Not because they were having internal dialogues with multiple people but because they were lonely... There is a very big difference but from the outside people may see similarities.