One Of The Biggest Icebergs Has Broken Loose In Antarctica

Page 7 of 12 [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:40 pm

Lintar wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I didn't know the blue pill was commonly referenced regarding climate change.People probably use it in many ways
For some reason now I can just imagine playground kids taunting each other,"you ate the blue pill,you ate the blue pill!"
Nothing wrong with questioning what you hear or see.Keeps you from being a sheeple.
Don't take the Soma if they offer it. :D

Religions and movements usually try to discourage people from being a "doubting thomas".

Exactly, and if we use this attribute to help us define what the term "religion" means in the first place, we can clearly see that anyone who has the audacity to simply question the dogma of global-warming alarmism is branded a "heretic", and shunned, castigated, and persecuted like those who questioned the claims of the Roman Catholic Church 700 years ago.

Everything should be doubted (yes, even the belief that "everything should be doubted" should be as well). If anyone tells another person that "such-and-such has been settled, and should therefore not be questioned", you can be SURE that you are about to be scammed. Don't fall for this nonsense, don't drink the Kool-Aid, don't swallow the blue pill. Global Warming is the latest secular religion: it's all about Gaia-worship, it's a revival of paganism dressed as "science".

Yes,all the pagans and scientists will be gathering this Lammas day to burn all the deniers in a giant wicker man. Need to seperate the wheat from the chaff.:roll:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 12:52 am

Lintar wrote:
The graphs presented by people with ulterior political motives (like Al Gore) do not impress, because they are usually terribly flawed (does everyone here recall the "hockey-stick graph" controversy?), for a number of reasons.

Al Gore has shares in the petroleum industry so he's got a conflict of interest...

The models that have been developed by climate scientists are trying to predict future changes in climate using available data. The factors are by no means conclusive but the general consensus from almost all scientists is that climate change is happening and (based on current increments) will continue to go up

I'm not sure if you are old enough to remember the late 1960s and early 1970s when environmental scientists unanimously predicted a population crash based on lack of arable land to grow food. The models created did not account for technology or genetics in creating new plant breeds and new methods of propagation. So despite the bleak outlook there is always possible that human ingenuity can get us out of another mess

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 1:26 am

Misslizard wrote:
Lintar wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I didn't know the blue pill was commonly referenced regarding climate change.People probably use it in many ways
For some reason now I can just imagine playground kids taunting each other,"you ate the blue pill,you ate the blue pill!"
Nothing wrong with questioning what you hear or see.Keeps you from being a sheeple.

Religions and movements usually try to discourage people from being a "doubting thomas".

Exactly, and if we use this attribute to help us define what the term "religion" means in the first place, we can clearly see that anyone who has the audacity to simply question the dogma of global-warming alarmism is branded a "heretic", and shunned, castigated, and persecuted like those who questioned the claims of the Roman Catholic Church 700 years ago.

Everything should be doubted (yes, even the belief that "everything should be doubted" should be as well). If anyone tells another person that "such-and-such has been settled, and should therefore not be questioned", you can be SURE that you are about to be scammed. Don't fall for this nonsense, don't drink the Kool-Aid, don't swallow the blue pill. Global Warming is the latest secular religion: it's all about Gaia-worship, it's a revival of paganism dressed as "science".

Yes,all the pagans and scientists will be gathering this Lammas day to burn all the deniers in a giant wicker man. Need to seperate the wheat from the chaff.:roll:

Nah but they will be using terms like "climate change denier" and "blue pill" in place of terms like "infidel" and "unbeliever".

Rob56
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jul 2017, 5:06 am

horrible news :cry:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 10:03 am

EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Lintar wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Nah but they will be using terms like "climate change denier" and "blue pill" in place of terms like "infidel" and "unbeliever".

I'll pass on calling someone an infidel,but climate change denier is spot on.
https://www.opr.ca.gov/s_denier.php

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 10:11 am

Misslizard wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Lintar wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I'll pass on calling someone an infidel,but climate change denier is spot on.
https://www.opr.ca.gov/s_denier.php

So what other scientific fact deniers there are? There's evolution denier. What else I wonder?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 10:29 am

/\The flat earth people and the relgious nut jobs that think dinosaur bones were spread by Satan to confuse us.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 1:26 pm

Lintar wrote:
nineinchnailsfan93 wrote:
Im just sitting here looking at the comments by conservatives on how they think they have all the "facts" to refute the EVIDENCE that global warming is a huge part of our modern reality. But then again theyre the same people who believe that a jewish street preacher in the middle east is iconic because hes "the son of god".

A lazy 'ad hom' attack. I'm not a 'conservative' by any means; just the opposite in fact, but I prefer facts to pointless and unsubstantiated claims that are specifically designed to scare people silly.

Lintar wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
"What action are you planning on taking?"
I plan to awaken the masses so that we can seize the means of production.

By the way, check out this.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html

Like they did back in 1917 in Russia. Hey, I'm an old-style Bolshie myself, so I'm with you on that. I don't think that such action will lead to any reduction in CO2 emissions though; just the opposite, in fact. After the revolution the USSR underwent rapid industrialisation, and this led to a dramatic increase in all its associated benefits (like the aforementioned increase in CO2).

Look, global warming is a myth. That's just a fact. The Earth isn't getting warmer; in fact, it's getting colder, because a new Ice Age is on the way.

For someone who say to care about "facts" you are quite clueless about them: the Earth is warming, this is a fact.
This is not just supported by measure of temperatures, but also numerous and easily observable other things: changes in seasons, melting of glaciers, migrations of species (The coming of ticks and and the Lyme disease In Quebec recently for example), rising of the sea and so on. This is on those numerous proofs that the scientific consensus is built; the religious fanatics are not the scientists, they are the denier and their pathological denying of what is right in front of their eyes!

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 1:40 pm

Climate change deniers are only a very small step away from flat earthers.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 2:04 pm

I watched Chasing Coral the other night. It was just as sad as Chasing Ice. When will our collective sense of self preservation and empathy for that what we destroy outweigh our collective greed as a species? Those that question the science does so because they have been manipulated into doing so by rather clever people. The same people that fought against the removal of lead from gasoline and questioned the science behind the danger of smoking cigarettes. Wake up, it's time to change.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 7:59 pm

Biscuitman wrote:

The fact that the earth is flat proves that climate change is a myth.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 9:39 pm

cyberdad wrote:
The models that have been developed by climate scientists are trying to predict future changes in climate using available data. The factors are by no means conclusive but the general consensus from almost all scientists is that climate change is happening and (based on current increments) will continue to go up

These days people use "models" to give the appearance of being able to do the impossible; that is, to predict the future. Approximately 2,500 years ago the preferred method was to examine the entrails of an animal that had been sacrificed to the gods, and the high priests didn't wear white lab coats.

You can't "predict future changes in climate". It isn't possible, there are just too many variables to consider. Climate (and weather) are extreme examples of chaotic systems in action, so no matter what (and how much) you input into these models, you will not be able to accurately gauge how things will be (for example) ten years from now. It just can't be done. "The consensus is that climate change is happening" - well, of course! Climate has always changed, ever since the Earth has had an atmosphere. This isn't news. What I contest is the claim that WE are in any way responsible for it, and, what's more, that CO2 is the most important contributing factor.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 9:45 pm

Biscuitman wrote:

I do not, nor have I ever, believed the Earth to be flat. As for "climate change", well, of course. The Earth's climate has always changed, but we are not responsible for those changes. I do not accept the odious and irrational nonsense known as anthropogenic global warming caused by the industrial release of CO2 into the atmosphere, which is what you specifically were (dishonestly, in my view) referring to when you used those weasel words "climate change". If you believe in global warming you may as well believe the Earth to be flat (and only 6,000 years old as well), because this nonsense doesn't qualify as science.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 9:56 pm

Tollorin wrote:
This is not just supported by measure of temperatures, but also numerous and easily observable other things: changes in seasons, melting of glaciers, migrations of species (The coming of ticks and and the Lyme disease In Quebec recently for example), rising of the sea and so on. This is on those numerous proofs that the scientific consensus is built; the religious fanatics are not the scientists, they are the denier and their pathological denying of what is right in front of their eyes!

:roll:

1) The seas are not rising, and the glaciers (and icecaps) are not melting. Those Pacific islands we were told would be under water by now are still visible on the surface, and the islanders have not drowned.

2) Since 1997 temperatures have been going down, not up, and this is contrary to what was "predicted" to occur.

3) The seasons are not changing, and even if they were one would then need to find the direct causal link between our activities on this planet and those changing seasons. This hasn't been done.

4) Between the years 1945 and 1975, when much of the world became increasingly industrialised, temperatures plummeted to such an extent that many believed the next Ice Age was coming early. Then when the pace of development leveled out (and corresponding releases of CO2 into the atmosphere also stabilised) the temperatures started to climb.

5) Sunspot activity plays a crucial and central role in climate, but this is never mentioned by the global-warming cultists.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 10:00 pm

I don't think it's a matter of denying climate change exists. I think it's a matter of considering that certain conclusions are unsupportable or at least questioning their validity.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 10:07 pm

Lintar wrote:
3) The seasons are not changing, and even if they were one would then need to find the direct causal link between our activities on this planet and those changing seasons. This hasn't been done.

There are a lot of wild berries where I live in western Washington. Especially blackberries. You can pick them walking down the street they're so prolific. Last year they became ripe earlier than usual and people were saying we should be worried about that. This year they and other berries are on or even a little behind schedule. This summer so far the temp has rarely gotten past the 70's F.