One Of The Biggest Icebergs Has Broken Loose In Antarctica

Page 5 of 12 [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 7:40 pm

Misslizard wrote:
/\I'm not panicked.That will be for those born later.
Warmer can mean more food,but only if it rains.It was warm enough during the dust bowl years,but lack of precipitation meant no crops and topsoil blowing away.
On the flip side too much rain floods crops and delays planting.
Climate change causes climate extremes,too much rain at the wrong time can be just as bad as no rain.
As you most likely know,nobody wants rain when the hay is cut and hasn't dried enough for baling.

While it was dry during the dust bowl, the real problem leading to the dust storms was one of poor farming practices. A number of people in my area who remembered the drought of the dust bowl and the drought of the 1950's said that the drought of the 1950's was worse.

You are assuming that people would still be growing the same crops. In reality, the crops grown would surely change as farmers plant what is best for the climate.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:08 pm

eric76 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Warmer can mean more food,but only if it rains.It was warm enough during the dust bowl years,but lack of precipitation meant no crops and topsoil blowing away.
Climate change causes climate extremes,too much rain at the wrong time can be just as bad as no rain.
As you most likely know,nobody wants rain when the hay is cut and hasn't dried enough for baling.

While it was dry during the dust bowl, the real problem leading to the dust storms was one of poor farming practices. A number of people in my area who remembered the drought of the dust bowl and the drought of the 1950's said that the drought of the 1950's was worse.

You are assuming that people would still be growing the same crops. In reality, the crops grown would surely change as farmers plant what is best for the climate.

I think others have answered your posts to me but I'll address this one
Drought is often caused by a number of factors. Cyclic weather effects called the El Nino effect are thought to result in unseasonal droughts. Land clearing impacts the transpiration cycle reducing rainfall.

Farmers in the mid west of the US used poor farming practice resulting in loss of valuable topsoil and causing dustbowls that you speak of.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 11:36 pm

Misslizard wrote:
No way is Las Vegas as polluted as a urban area in the third world with no emissions control.A friend of mine was in a large city in Nepal and she said the air was positively thick.
Of corse there are variations in climate.Your cool spell is probably normal for your area.Just like the extreme drough we had here a few years back,no rain for months and temps of 111 for weeks.Id didn't think it was climate change,this area goes thru extremes like that.Climate scientists study the data.We did get bumped from zone 6 to zone 7,so to me that's more relevant than one hot summer.Ive also seen it 15 below zero here and I didn't think a glacier was heading this way.Just anothe extreme this area goes thru.Its the big picture and how the stats add up over years of research.
If you don't believe the scientists ,who would you suggest we get out info from?
The scientist that have studied the data are the minority on this planet.The majority of people are too busy trying to survive to have the time or interest to know what's happening.They are too occupied trying to find a crust of bread,dodge a bomb,or pay the rent.Another group is too young,sick,or old to care.Some have no interest because they have a nice car,home ,etc and they just can't be bothered with unpleasantness.Some have their bread buttered by dirty energy,profit over people everytime. Some can't grasp the science and some are in denial.So yes,that's why I lump you in with the blue pill folks. Not sure if the Dalai Lama reads comic books,maybe.He is an interesting person.Very pro science.

You lump me in with the blue pill folks, which is a term you were taught to use, because I'm not a member of the club you belong to. In order to get away from the stigma of being called a blue pill person, all I have to do is agree with what your club says about climate change. I really don't even have to know much about it, I just have to go along with it. Several of the articles and videos I've seen posted in threads like these aren't even by actual scientists. They're produced by other members of the club.

Also I said the Dali Lama likes the Buddhist leanings of the Matrix because it's a take off of the Invisables which obviously has Buddhist leanings since the protagonist is supposed to be the next Buddha. If you got that I'm saying the Dali Lama reads comic books out of that, then you clearly misunderstood what I was saying.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 11:40 pm

nineinchnailsfan93 wrote:
Lintar wrote:
nineinchnailsfan93 wrote:
Im just sitting here looking at the comments by conservatives on how they think they have all the "facts" to refute the EVIDENCE that global warming is a huge part of our modern reality. But then again theyre the same people who believe that a jewish street preacher in the middle east is iconic because hes "the son of god".

A lazy 'ad hom' attack. I'm not a 'conservative' by any means; just the opposite in fact, but I prefer facts to pointless and unsubstantiated claims that are specifically designed to scare people silly.

Theres mountains of evidence stating that global warming and climate change is occurring, granted there are some over exaggerated claims from people that believe in climate change, how ever its still a pretty major concern. And im not stating that the end of the world because of it will happen in our life time or even 200 years from now. im just saying that we need to take the statistics into consideration. I believe we need more cleaner energy and make it cheap for the consumer in order to at least help out the planet. And im not saying all climate change deniers are conservatives, but most of them are, lets be honest. But regardless of that factor it was a joke, lighten up.

Oh okay, it was a "joke". It sure didn't seem like one. It might have been a good idea to put a smiley face after it, like this :mrgreen: or this :D or :) or :lol:

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 11:43 pm

EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Climate change is a more a accurate description than global warming.
Follow the science.
https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

I believe the rebuttal to that is it's based on models. That the way it's been determined what carbon dioxide levels have been over the last 400,000 years is guesswork based on models designed by them to provide the data they want. How much are we supposed to trust the agency that faked moon landings?

Here's an interesting article: http://www.dailywire.com/news/9767/9-th ... n-bandler#

https://www.skepticalscience.com/global ... ediate.htm

What 97% of "climate change science" scientists agree according to climate change science websites? Kinda reminds me of the claim that 4 out of 5 dentists recommend chewing Trident gum.

Yes, the people who run the 'skepticalscience' website are not exactly impartial when it comes to the examination of the evidence. They will gladly link to other sites that back up the point they are trying to make, the ones that agree with them, but ignore any that express the slightest hint of scepticism (which is rather ironic when you consider what they call themselves).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 11:48 pm

EzraS wrote:
You lump me in with the blue pill folks, which is a term you were taught to use, because I'm not a member of the club you belong to.

How do you know that?

EzraS wrote:
I've seen posted in threads like these aren't even by actual scientists. They're produced by other members of the club.

Are you saying that scientists are automatically exempt from the blue pill?

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 11:48 pm

Everyone here who still believes the fantasy of "global warming" should just watch the magnificent documentary "The Great Global Warming Swindle". It can be found on 'YouTube' if you don't want to purchase the DVD.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 11:54 pm

Lintar wrote:
Everyone here who still believes the fantasy of "global warming" should just watch the magnificent documentary "The Great Global Warming Swindle". It can be found on 'YouTube' if you don't want to purchase the DVD.

A quick google search will reveal that Martin Durkin (the producer) has a long history of being anti-environmental! not surprisingly he sees a conspiracy in global warming. Durkin uses misleading and out of date information which hark to the global warming skeptics of old. His documentary has been debunked by a number of prominent climate scientists

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 12:04 am

cyberdad wrote:
Lintar wrote:

A quick google search will reveal that Martin Durkin (the producer) has a long history of being anti-environmental! not surprisingly he sees a conspiracy in global warming. Durkin uses misleading and out of date information which hark to the global warming skeptics of old. His documentary has been debunked by a number of prominent climate scientists

I'll look into what you say here. In any case, regardless of his (Martin Durkin's) history, and whether or not he was dishonest in the past, it is the claims that are put forward within the documentary itself that I am interested in and believe should be examined, not the motive(s) behind the one who made it.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 12:18 am

EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
No way is Las Vegas as polluted as a urban area in the third world with no emissions control.A friend of mine was in a large city in Nepal and she said the air was positively thick.
Of corse there are variations in climate.Your cool spell is probably normal for your area.Just like the extreme drough we had here a few years back,no rain for months and temps of 111 for weeks.Id didn't think it was climate change,this area goes thru extremes like that.Climate scientists study the data.We did get bumped from zone 6 to zone 7,so to me that's more relevant than one hot summer.Ive also seen it 15 below zero here and I didn't think a glacier was heading this way.Just anothe extreme this area goes thru.Its the big picture and how the stats add up over years of research.
If you don't believe the scientists ,who would you suggest we get out info from?
The scientist that have studied the data are the minority on this planet.The majority of people are too busy trying to survive to have the time or interest to know what's happening.They are too occupied trying to find a crust of bread,dodge a bomb,or pay the rent.Another group is too young,sick,or old to care.Some have no interest because they have a nice car,home ,etc and they just can't be bothered with unpleasantness.Some have their bread buttered by dirty energy,profit over people everytime. Some can't grasp the science and some are in denial.So yes,that's why I lump you in with the blue pill folks. Not sure if the Dalai Lama reads comic books,maybe.He is an interesting person.Very pro science.

You lump me in with the blue pill folks, which is a term you were taught to use, because I'm not a member of the club you belong to. In order to get away from the stigma of being called a blue pill person, all I have to do is agree with what your club says about climate change. I really don't even have to know much about it, I just have to go along with it. Several of the articles and videos I've seen posted in threads like these aren't even by actual scientists. They're produced by other members of the club.

Also I said the Dali Lama likes the Buddhist leanings of the Matrix because it's a take off of the Invisables which obviously has Buddhist leanings since the protagonist is supposed to be the next Buddha. If you got that I'm saying the Dali Lama reads comic books out of that, then you clearly misunderstood what I was saying.

I was joking about the Dalai Lama.You clearly misunderstood me.The movie is more than a take on a comic book.
https://books.google.com/books?id=GSE5q ... ie&f=false
A term I was taught to use? LOL
You don't have to go along with anything.Show me a list of scientists that say it's a hoax.Not one or two,but a significant amount.A list like this.
https://www.opr.ca.gov/s_listoforganizations.php

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 12:44 am

eric76 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Hopefully they will change and practice better farming.I doubt soybeans,corn and rice will be phased out anytime soon.
The practice of leaving a feild with no cover crop to hold the soil was definitely part of the problem.It still is.The sky turned yellow here one day.The weather man said it was soil from Nebraska.Then it rained dirt on my car.
I always plant a winter cover crop,usually winter rye,crimson clover and wheat.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 5:41 am

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
You lump me in with the blue pill folks, which is a term you were taught to use, because I'm not a member of the club you belong to.

How do you know that?

By the amount of usage and who it's used by.

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I've seen posted in threads like these aren't even by actual scientists. They're produced by other members of the club.

Are you saying that scientists are automatically exempt from the blue pill?

That has nothing to do with my statement. However no one is exempt. You must be a believer. You must confess that man-made climate change is 100% true and accurate. Otherwise you get labeled as a "blue pill".

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 6:04 am

Misslizard wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I was joking about the Dalai Lama.You clearly misunderstood me.The movie is more than a take on a comic book.

Ah I took your joke literally. I'm sure the movie has all kinds of takes and aspects. However the Buddhist aspect probably comes from it borrowing from The Invisables.

Misslizard wrote:

When I researched the term, I found it being used by numerous people to label those who don't agree with their take on climate change. Someone else used it on me in this thread alone. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you coincidentally came up with it on your own.

Misslizard wrote:
You don't have to go along with anything.

I have to go along with it if I don't want to be labeled as a blue pill. See I made the mistake of thinking there were some parameters in being a blue pill, but there's not.

Misslizard wrote:
Show me a list of scientists that say it's a hoax.Not one or two,but a significant amount.A list like this.

When did I say it's a hoax? I'm just questioning it and challenging it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 6:58 am

Lintar wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Lintar wrote:

I'll look into what you say here. In any case, regardless of his (Martin Durkin's) history, and whether or not he was dishonest in the past, it is the claims that are put forward within the documentary itself that I am interested in and believe should be examined, not the motive(s) behind the one who made it.

Read a critique of the documentary by the British Academy of Science and professor David Karoly of Melbourne Uni who is a world authority on climate change (I don't have a transcript of the latter but he provided a rebuff to Burkin's claims
http://www.theage.com.au/news/tv--radio ... 29736.html

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 10:34 am

EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Ah I took your joke literally. I'm sure the movie has all kinds of takes and aspects. However the Buddhist aspect probably comes from it borrowing from The Invisables.

Misslizard wrote:

When I researched the term, I found it being used by numerous people to label those who don't agree with their take on climate change. Someone else used it on me in this thread alone. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you coincidentally came up with it on your own.

Misslizard wrote:
You don't have to go along with anything.

I have to go along with it if I don't want to be labeled as a blue pill. See I made the mistake of thinking there were some parameters in being a blue pill, but there's not.

Misslizard wrote:
Show me a list of scientists that say it's a hoax.Not one or two,but a significant amount.A list like this.

I didn't know the blue pill was commonly referenced regarding climate change.People probably use it in many ways
For some reason now I can just imagine playground kids taunting each other,"you ate the blue pill,you ate the blue pill!"
Nothing wrong with questioning what you hear or see.Keeps you from being a sheeple.
Don't take the Soma if they offer it. :D

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 10:57 am

EzraS wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Just_asking_questions

Face it. The science behind global warming is settled. It's time for action. We shouldn't do nothing just because some people "still have doubts".

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/