Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 2:01 pm

Hi all.

A while ago, David Firth (the creator of Salad Fingers) make this YouTube video.

Does this video have some sort of deep, philosophical meaning or is it just nonsense?

Discuss.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 2:15 pm

Related, maybe?

Maybe it's a statement about capitalism?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 2:29 pm

It is an obvious satire on the cosmetics industry. Particularly the claims of anti-aging.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 2:46 pm

It is also about the extraordinary claims made and our desire to rid ourselves of any ailments and a dystopian world if desires are taken to their natural conclusion. A mixture of satire and science fiction.

Britain has a long history of satire.

From Punch to Private Eye to The Day Today and Brass Eye.

Unlike the US, British satire tends to be distinguishable from parody and the point can often be quite subtle or not explicitly stated. If you take John Oliver, for the American market he strongly accentuates the point to make it as obvious as possible. The British tradition of satire especially on TV plays it straight/deadpan.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 6:07 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
It is an obvious satire on the cosmetics industry. Particularly the claims of anti-aging.

well, yes. and everything else, I mean... the cream's effects are pretty much what the singularity-believers believe in. a panacea.
also a satire on the industry's response to piracy of intellectual property... it's a good thought, though- if we could duplicate food, would that be considered piracy... and if our overproducing society just throws it away, and I take it out of the dumpster?

it's a satire on all sorts of problems.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 7:31 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
Related, maybe?

Great tune but not much hidden.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 7:42 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
Related, maybe?

Great tune but not much hidden.

I know, I was being facetious and not actually drawing a parallel beyond the acronym.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 8:48 pm

I believe it all started with...