Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 5:09 pm

I'm looking for a job and I'm finding that nearly half of the places I try to apply to require behavioral questionnaires that have hundreds of True/False or Agree/Disagree statements like "I am a leader", ""It is important to know how coworkers feel", and "Companies should take risks in order to succeed". Maybe it is because of my Autism, but I find these terrifying and impossible to answer. I am so stuck and I'm pretty sure that reason I rarely get calls is because I am failing these. They say at the top "The company can tell if you are distorting your responses in order to appear more favorable" too. I'm so stuck and I don't know what to do. Any tips?

Thanks

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jul 2017, 8:42 pm

I encountered those too. That's why I don't like to apply for PetSmart. They are notorious for those.

I also did a Big Lots one lately that luckily didn't have any of the personality tests but wanted me to answer the fancy government mandated stuff that could get them deductions for tax credits. For a while, the questionare for that wouldn't work. Then finally it did but it wanted a social security number. So I entered one in that was bogus minus the last four digits (not worth opening myself up to identity theft for a lowly stocker job). Then, I quickly glanced at the usual lawyer mumbo jumbo at the end and hit yes. Just before it went to the new thing and right after I clicked yes, I noticed that I had agreed, under penalty of perjury, to give accurate info. I woulda gone back but it was too late and I doubt an actual human will actually look at it. Anyway, they shouldn't be asking for a FULL social security number.

Online job apps can be a nightmare. Usually you can tell they will be bad if they have "taleo" or "brassring" in the URL. That means that they had some third party schmuck designing their job apps and that means you have no idea where the data you enter goes, etc. Usually taleo and brassing also ask annoying intrusive questions and take a long while.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 12:12 pm

DinoMongoosePenguin wrote:
I encountered those too. That's why I don't like to apply for PetSmart. They are notorious for those.

I also did a Big Lots one lately that luckily didn't have any of the personality tests but wanted me to answer the fancy government mandated stuff that could get them deductions for tax credits. For a while, the questionare for that wouldn't work. Then finally it did but it wanted a social security number. So I entered one in that was bogus minus the last four digits (not worth opening myself up to identity theft for a lowly stocker job). Then, I quickly glanced at the usual lawyer mumbo jumbo at the end and hit yes. Just before it went to the new thing and right after I clicked yes, I noticed that I had agreed, under penalty of perjury, to give accurate info. I woulda gone back but it was too late and I doubt an actual human will actually look at it. Anyway, they shouldn't be asking for a FULL social security number.

Online job apps can be a nightmare. Usually you can tell they will be bad if they have "taleo" or "brassring" in the URL. That means that they had some third party schmuck designing their job apps and that means you have no idea where the data you enter goes, etc. Usually taleo and brassing also ask annoying intrusive questions and take a long while.

PetSmart! I have applied there numerous times and their questionnaires are the worst. So are Petco's. I never get calls from those two places. I like the simple ones, obviously, that just ask your name, contact information, and work history. Online applications drive me nuts. I like paper ones, however that does mean you have to go into the store and ask for one, which can be awkward. At least you know some one will most likely look at it though. I often feel like no one even looks at the online ones sometimes.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jul 2017, 2:45 am

In my opinion, those questionnaires are a way to weed out people like us and to get around laws against discrimination based on disability. The only way I've been able to get an interview was to try to "cheat" the test, and as expected, I never got another interview or job offer from such a company.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 12:00 pm

adoylelb90815 wrote:
In my opinion, those questionnaires are a way to weed out people like us and to get around laws against discrimination based on disability. The only way I've been able to get an interview was to try to "cheat" the test, and as expected, I never got another interview or job offer from such a company.

The questions are always about social skills and there is one that I encountered that asked "People are generally honest". You could look at that from a lot of different perspectives, so what kind of answer do they want? :| Most places seem to only want perky, smiley people, which I can kind of understand because it's good for business, but they leave a lot of people out and don't even give people a chance that don't fit their "ideal". I know for a fact that I can do a lot of these jobs, but because I have been told that I "look autistic", I don't even get a chance to prove that I am capable. People judge based on appearances, and it is just wrong, in my opinion.

Sorry, I think this post borders on being a rant, but I'm just upset after another unsuccessful interview today :(