Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Inbetween
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jul 2017, 8:37 am

Hi

I'm 34 years old and from the UK. I'm married with 2 kids. I recently started reading up on autism and realised that I have a few traits. I don't really feel like I have enough traits to get a diagnosis, but I'm pretty sure I have too many to be NT (I've never felt normal).

I probably won't post here a lot. I'm more of a lurker.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say hi!

shadowtag
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jul 2017, 2:18 pm

Hello to you! Feel free to surface from time to time, or don't, that's up to you!

Any who, enjoy your stay :mrgreen:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 4:44 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 12:34 am

Don't be a lurker... post post post, we love new people!!

I'm 29 and have an 8-year-old son who lives with his father.

As for the traits, if you want help just get help with the individual traits, don't get a diagnosis probably because if you do people will think you have autistic traits you don't have, or that you have some worse than you do, or that you don't have certain problems you might because after all you're autistic, or they'll imagine false things about autistics (like that we don't have feelings) and assume them about you. Been there, done that, taking meds and seeing a psychologist for the trauma of it.

Inbetween
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jul 2017, 7:45 am

Thanks for the welcome :)

CharityGoodyGrace, thanks for the advice. I am going to make a list of the traits that are affecting me (the list is in my head so I need to write it down!). Then I can look at them and make a decision from there/see if I can get any help for those traits. I don't make decisions without obsessing over them, so if I do decide to go for a diagnosis, it will be after a lot of thought (it won't be this year, I do mean a lot of thought!). I don't think I will, and even if I do, I will be careful who I disclose the results to. There is a lot of misunderstanding and ignorance around autism and I'm sorry that you have been on the receiving end.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 6:54 pm

Thanks, Inbetween. :)

More symptom-specific labels like Sensory Processing Disorder, mild depression, etc. are less stigmatizing, though mild depression is a bit and sometimes a lot.