Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 8:56 am

Most of them are but not all of them

James Woods Isn’t Backing Down from Controversial Comments About ‘Gender Creative’ Child

Quote:
The 70-year-old actor received a wave of backlash on Twitter Monday after he tweeted a photo of the California family at the Orange County Pride Parade — the young boy holding a rainbow flag and his parents bearing posters that read, “I love my gender creative son!” and “My son wears dresses & makeup… Get over it!!”

This is sweet,” Woods wrote. “Wait until this poor kid grows up, realizes what you’ve done, and stuffs both of you dismembered into a freezer in the garage.”

Like I said in relation to Barron Trump's "autism" earlier this year, it is horrific that it is ok now to use children to make political/social statements.

If it were not for the asshatry he was trying to make a point that is very relevant to to most here
Quote:
James Woods

@RealJamesWoods

Some children can be ruthlessly cruel to children who are simply different in any way. I humbly suggest making your child a target is unwise

Using one's child as a social justice propaganda doll is tantamount to child abuse. This is not about homophobia. Nice try though...

So in arguing against making a kid a target the kid is a much bigger target because of Mr. Woods. (SMH)
Yep, he really used my best friends are gay argument

Quote:
I spent my entire adult life in the New York theatre scene, kids. I have more gay friends than Liberace. So let's stop the homophobia train.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 9:19 am

Having worked with more than a few conservative actors in my life, I learned that they, too, are quite liberal in their social attitudes. Maybe it is because of their professional connections, or fear of offending their audiences, but most seem genuinely laissez-faire about matters beyond domestic economics and jobs, and occasionally, national defense.

In the case of James Woods, perhaps his excess in this case stems from his Utah roots. In Utah, conservatives wear their badges of honor (opinions) proudly. And, since 2013, Woods has been on a blue streak about his opinions, causing even the conservative Washington Times to suggest that he might "never work again in Hollywood because of his political views[.]"

Woods' description of this "gender creative" son seems to consider the matter as if it were some forehead-springing Athenean poke at the moral tiger instead of parents helping their son as best they can after years of noticing his subtle differences and needs. Woods couldn't have done worse. After some heavy hitters in the Republican Party helped led the way to vistory in marriage equality, Woods appears to have failed to read about some in his own party who have famously embraced differences in the social fabric of our nation. Too bad. His wit and wisdom were once legend. Now, he is standing there alone and flat footed.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 9:25 am

Mildly curious; are we talking "My my son wears dresses and makeup because he wants to, and he'll stop when he wants to" or is it more "I bought my son nothing but dresses and dolls, because there is no such thing as gendered toys and clothes!"

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 10:02 am

I don't like what Woods said. But I also don't like the idea that young kids have basically been pushed into deciding which of 58 67 now 71 genders they are supposed to be.

71 genders.... and counting.

Sorry, but that's absurd.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 10:11 am

I work in a college library. The vast majority of people, even in a college environment, still consider themselves "men" and "women."

Men use the men's room; and women use the ladies' room.

I once thought that this person was a guy, when she was actually a trans woman. She got a little offended.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 11:20 am

Well it's gone way way beyond just trans male and female.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 1:49 pm

Maybe on the Internet. In the "real world," most people are either men and women. I don't know anybody who identifies as "something else."

Women still go to the ladies' room, and men still go to the men's room.

We're not being overrun with the 71 genders. In my opinion, most people don't want to bother thinking about the gradations from "cis male" to "gray hermaphrodite" or whatever.

Usually, people talk about something like "Amazonian Female" or "Metrosexual Man." It it's discussed at all.

There are just some people who don't want to think in "binary" terms.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 4:24 am

The difference between the internet and the,real world is getting more blurred all the time, especially for the young.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 2:05 pm

I can't really say I disagree with what James Woods said. My philosophy has always been that it's, FIRST, a parent's job to raise PEOPLE----then, if those people wanna "specialize", so-to-speak (ie, in choosing their own religion; or, finally being able to let their "freak" flag fly [I only mean showing how they're different, when I say "freak flag"]), I feel they should be able to do that.

I don't believe this is using a child to make a political / social statement, because, in-this-case, it seems the child has CHOSEN to participate, because he IS different (wears makeup and dresses). I feel "using a child..." is when the child has NOT chosen to participate / is not really aware / understanding of what is going-on.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 2:15 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I can't really say I disagree with what James Woods said. My philosophy has always been that it's, FIRST, a parents job to raise PEOPLE----then, if those people wanna "specialize", so-to-speak (ie, in choosing their own religion; or, finally being able to let their "freak" flag fly [I only mean showing how they're different, when I say "freak flag"]), I feel they should be able to do that.

I don't believe this is using a child to make a political / social statement, because, in-this-case, it seems the child has CHOSEN to participate, because he IS different (wears makeup and dresses). I feel "using a child..." is when the child has NOT chosen to participate / is not really aware / understanding of what is going-on.

Hehe. This all reminds me of the hysteria over Boy Scouts in Utah marching in the Utah Pride Parade a few years ago. The scouts wanted to do it to show their support of some LGBT family members and more than a few friends they knew to be LGBT), and had the support of their parents, their scoutmasters and their local scout troops. Because the scouts decided their involvement by themselves, not much could be said by those who disagreed except for some huffing and puffing. After the fact, there was some consternation over the scouts wearing their uniforms, but it backfired and made the critics seem petty. Besides, the scouts got ten of thousands of parade watchers cheering them on. They must have learned a lot about friendship ... and humanity.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 3:24 pm

James Woods is in his seventies, so I rather doubt he much cares how he's unhirable in Hollywood anymore - age has it's perks when it comes to being an a$$hole. Now, had he been younger, and said this, that would be a different story.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 1:45 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I work in a college library. The vast majority of people, even in a college environment, still consider themselves "men" and "women."

Men use the men's room; and women use the ladies' room.

I once thought that this person was a guy, when she was actually a trans woman. She got a little offended.

I once called a neighbor who turned out to be a woman "sir". She also was offended, however, in my defense she was leaning into a truck, wearing jeans, a Red Sox sweatshirt and a baseball cap, and had a short male haircut.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 1:53 am

I don't have a problem with letting girls wear boys clothes and play with toys marketed at boys, so I couldn't possibly have a problem with boys wearing girls clothes and playing with toys marketed at girls.

I do have a problem with the fact that it's ok for girls to like and do "boy" things and still be considered girls, but if a boy like and does "girl" things, he is not allowed to be considered a boy and he must be transgendered.

Personally I think people should just let children be children.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 7:50 am

Chronos wrote:

Personally I think people should just let children be children.

This has almost been completly forgotten at least where I live. Kid walks or speaks a little late and parental panic ensues. Personally I think helicopter parenting and schooling are the envornmentral factors that has a lot to do with the Autism and other conditions "epidemic".

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 12:56 am

EzraS wrote:
I don't like what Woods said. But I also don't like the idea that young kids have basically been pushed into deciding which of 58 67 now 71 genders they are supposed to be.

71 genders.... and counting.

Sorry, but that's absurd.

No need to be sorry. It IS absurd.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 12:57 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
James Woods is in his seventies, so I rather doubt he much cares how he's unhirable in Hollywood anymore - age has it's perks when it comes to being an a$$hole. Now, had he been younger, and said this, that would be a different story.

Why do you refer to him as an a$$hole? He's right isn't he?