Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2017, 1:22 pm

well, good luck to em, but as observed by cyberdad...let's hope they stay safe...especially the asian guy...

dunno anything about rednecks but know walsall very very well and i know that in certain quarters, they have rather "rigid views".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 1:33 pm

Marknis wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Marknis wrote:
It won't change the rednecks minds because they think anyone who is non-Christian is automatically "kaweer". :roll:

I didn't even know there were redneck Muslims.

My message was aimed at Bible Belt rednecks who hate everyone except themselves (Rednecks generally call anyone they don't like "kaweer" regardless of their sexual orientation) but I completely forgot about Turning Muslim in Texas. :lol: Thanks for the reminder!

That's quite interesting.

I tend to think of American Muslims as being either immigrants, or as native born African Americans. Didn't realize that White Anglosaxon Texan Americans with no ethnic ties to Muslim countries were converting.

This is the flipside of a thread started by Face of Boo in PPR about how there seems to be new trend of people in the Arab Middle East of people who are leaving Islam (for Atheism, or Christianity, or Bahaiism, or to Zoroastrianism).

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 2:12 pm

Oh look, cognitive dissonance...

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 3:54 pm

boofle wrote:
well, good luck to em, but as observed by cyberdad...let's hope they stay safe...especially the asian guy...

dunno anything about rednecks but know walsall very very well and i know that in certain quarters, they have rather "rigid views".

By my definition, Wales and I assume much of the Midlands are full of redneck. I met some cool Welsh guys in Amsterdam, just as disoriented as I. Lol

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2017, 4:35 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
boofle wrote:

By my definition, Wales and I assume much of the Midlands are full of redneck. I met some cool Welsh guys in Amsterdam, just as disoriented as I. Lol

heh...disorientation that had nothing to do with the inhalation, ingestion, nor injecting of fun substances one assumes? given you were in amsterdam? :mrgreen:

being slightly serious tho...it's a curious thing? i've lived in all parts of the uk and found that where national identity is the strongest/actually exists, scotland n wales for example, prejudice is not as bad and people tend to live n let live...i'm not saying it's perfect cos a***holes will be a***holes but generally speaking and ime people just get on with their lives.
it's only when one gets to certain parts of england that the attitudes begin to be shaped by one's location...and ime the greater the density of "groups" in any given area, the greater the tendency to tensions. so for example...in the west midlands there are areas of certain "types" where tolerance is difficult to find.

perhaps because there is a strength in numbers certain religious groups retain their core values, are dis-inclined to integrate and generally speaking adhere to rather non-western views, or something...i really don't know.

in saying that tho, here is an asian guy, from a rather hardcore area (in some parts) that has gone ahead and broken all barriers.

i really don't know what all of the above means except, no matter how much some may spend all their time "hating"...others go on to celebrate their individuality and "overcome".

nineinchnailsfan93
Raven
Raven

16 Jul 2017, 5:26 pm

Wow! Now this is unexpected! Musliums are considered the most extreme conservatives in the modern world, but this shocked me in a pleasent way. Im just glad that he didnt do this kind of marriage in the middle east, otherwise he would be executed. Im glad this guy found what he was looking for.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 11:18 am

Marknis wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
Marknis wrote:
It won't change the rednecks minds because they think anyone who is non-Christian is automatically "kaweer".

Please don't lump ALL rednecks, together (I come from a lonnnnng line of rednecks)----please qualify your statements with "some", or "a few", or even "alot"----but, as you should know "redneck" ONLY means "Southerner", as the name came-about regarding people who bent-over to pick cotton, all-day, and thus the back of their neck got red, from the sun.

Well, I don't think everyone from the South is a stereotypical redneck...

No, I agree, they're not----not by the current definition of redneck----but, like I said, that's not the original definition.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 11:32 am

The word derives from contempt directed at white people who worked in the sun all day. Few slave owners could exploit their labor enough to have a life of leisure. The plantation owners didn't see themselves as having anything in common with them any more than the executives at ADM feel kinship with a contractor who exploits cheap day labor to make low bids.

We should take some care using the word redneck.

The serfs maybe never stopped being rednecks in England?

Perhaps we have sufficiently discussed the redneck reaction to the topic at hand.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 4:44 pm

cyberdad wrote:
The couple would be wise to keep a low profile. Consistently appearing on TV would be "rubbing their decision in the muslim communities faces". Somebody is going to take this as a matter of "honour" and it may end unpleasantly.

Good luck to the couple though, they have managed to get both the rednecks and fundementalist muslims angry so good on them...

They wouldn't have been allowed to do this in any mosque in Britain. Any mosque that said they would marry them would be burnt to the ground.

This wedding is more of a protest against Islamic intolerance than it is a celebration of their relationship.

This is likely to end up like the Nissar Hussain case or worse if they aren't careful.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 4:58 pm

Times are a changin'

https://www.pressenza.com/2017/07/can-y ... -equality/

Quote:
The most amazing thing is to see Muslims discussing the issue of homosexuality and Islam. Perhaps the majority may still be critical, but it’s important to start talking about it and to make it no longer a taboo topic. I want young, second generation Muslims here to have a choice, an alternative, which is something that I did not have at their age.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 7:56 pm

Tequila wrote:
This wedding is more of a protest against Islamic intolerance than it is a celebration of their relationship.

This is likely to end up like the Nissar Hussain case or worse if they aren't careful.

I think there are "non-practicing" muslims who keep a low profile and these people are not really on the radar of fundementalists. Nissar Hussein's mistake is to openly convert which in islam is apostasy

In Nissar Hussein's case (as with the gay marriage or muslim women behaving like westerners) there are four ways this invokes the wrath of the muslim community
i) family honor - the extended family will perceive that their families honor has been disgraced in the eyes of the wider muslim community, honor killing occurs across all communities even in progressive and educated families
ii) The imam in the local mosque is under pressure to speak against all these quranic "transgressions" (whether it be apostasy, adultery, girls dating non-muslims or wearing skirts and of course openly being gay and muslim). This is a particularly influential source for vigilante action, particularly lone wolf vigilantes
iii) fundamentalist community police - within the community there are organised islamic police who operate in groups with the blessing of the broader community. Many of these are prominent members of the community. They take organised action both in the local neighborhood against individuals and broader protests i.e. the Mohammed cartoons. For the most part they pressure and intimidate and sometimes harass but don't go beyond this - however members of this proxy police force may take it upon themselves to be lone wolf vigilantes
iv) Finally there are extremists who operate covertly under the banner of fundementalist (usually banned) groups who are openly encouraged to take vigilante action. These splinter groups are the ones under terrorist watch by the government. The latter are the biggest threat to a openly gay muslim couple but the other groups are also a potential threat.

It's really not safe for any of the groups I mentioned....muslims converting to other religions, gays getting married or muslim women behaving like westerners

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:51 am

cyberdad wrote:
It's really not safe for any of the groups I mentioned....muslims converting to other religions, gays getting married or muslim women behaving like westerners

It's a bit like how Western leftists that defend Islam say to anonymous or pseudonymous ex-Muslims they're arguing with on Twitter that they're cowards and that they should be arguing under their real name with their real face attached. They're wilfully ignoring the danger that that would put them in. There are a few brave ex-Muslims in Britain that do campaign under their real names but they tend to have left the Muslim community altogether.

An ex-Christian slagging off Christianity is not in any danger in the UK.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:55 am

cyberdad wrote:
Nissar Hussein's mistake is to openly convert which in islam is apostasy

Yes, he was open about his apotasy. Later, he appeared on a TV documentary here in Britain which talks about people that apostatised and he pointed the finger at Islamic hardliners that were victimising him. His persecution worsened as hardliners within his community continued a lengthy hate campaign against him. It got so bad that his family were forced to flee their homes (with the support of armed police) to a non-Muslim area.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 3:38 pm

Based on the last few comments, some think they should have had their gift registry at a prepper store.

I think they have it exactly right. Maybe something bad will happen, and people get outraged that it happened to such nice people. Eventually, someone will do this and nothing bad will happen, and nothing bad will happen to a thousand more gay, Muslim couples, and it will become normal. That's how things have gone for the last century, with incremental progress in accepting diversity.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:19 pm

Tequila wrote:
It's a bit like how Western leftists that defend Islam say to anonymous or pseudonymous ex-Muslims they're arguing with on Twitter that they're cowards and that they should be arguing under their real name with their real face attached.

I'm left leaning and support ex-muslims leaving their religion (infact anyone leaving an organised religion) they have the right to free speech. Ayaan Hirsi Ali is incredibly brave but its unfortunate that racist right wing groups have used people like her to push their own agenda

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:22 pm

Tequila wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Nissar Hussein's mistake is to openly convert which in islam is apostasy

Yes, he was open about his apotasy. Later, he appeared on a TV documentary here in Britain which talks about people that apostatised and he pointed the finger at Islamic hardliners that were victimising him. His persecution worsened as hardliners within his community continued a lengthy hate campaign against him. It got so bad that his family were forced to flee their homes (with the support of armed police) to a non-Muslim area.

Yes this is victimization and the perpetrators should be hauled before the courts. I think younger muslims would benefit from education in school about tolerance.