Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 1:57 pm

People dispute the muslim-ness of it online, of course. I wonder how being gay and Muslim affected the behavior of the trolls.

The ceremony appeared did not take place in a mosque. One man's parents did not attend due to the prevailing views of their Bangladeshi community, who the article claims believe homosexuality is a phase, a disorder, or contrary to Islam.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 36936.html

Quote:
A couple who had one of the UK's first same-sex marriages involving a Muslim partner have received online abuse after their wedding.

Jahed Choudhury and Sean Rogan married last week in Walsall, in the West Midlands.

Footage from the ceremony showed the couple dressed in traditional Bangladeshi attire as they said their vows at the town's registry office.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/13/couple-ma ... s-6776352/

Quote:
‘This is how I chose to live my life,’ Mr Choudhury said.
‘No matter what people say I will always be Muslim. I will always pray, I will carry on praying for the rest of my life. InShaAllah, that will never change.’

I predict that this will become normalized, because it's normal.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 11:49 pm

It won't change the rednecks minds because they think anyone who is non-Christian is automatically "kaweer". :roll:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 4:36 am

Marknis wrote:
It won't change the rednecks minds because they think anyone who is non-Christian is automatically "kaweer". :roll:

I didn't even know there were redneck Muslims.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 7:33 am

EzraS wrote:
Marknis wrote:

I didn't even know there were redneck Muslims.

My message was aimed at Bible Belt rednecks who hate everyone except themselves (Rednecks generally call anyone they don't like "kaweer" regardless of their sexual orientation) but I completely forgot about Turning Muslim in Texas. :lol: Thanks for the reminder!

Last edited by Marknis on 14 Jul 2017, 7:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 7:36 am

I hope they are very happy (doesn't everyone deserve to be) and don't have to put up with any sh*t from narrow-minded individuals.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 7:47 am

Trueno wrote:
I hope they are very happy (doesn't everyone deserve to be) and don't have to put up with any sh*t from narrow-minded individuals.

It seems like most of the flack they are getting are from Twitter trolls who would be too scared to do it in person.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 10:21 am

Redneck typically refers to the rural poor people who hold traditional and often bigoted beliefs. They exist in most places, in some form or fashion. Frequently, in any society, such people produce most of the food.

We can't just cut them off or shun them. Mocking them seems to backfire. However, tolerating racism, sexism and homophobia won't work either.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 12:53 pm

Marknis wrote:
It won't change the rednecks minds because they think anyone who is non-Christian is automatically "kaweer".

Please don't lump ALL rednecks, together (I come from a lonnnnng line of rednecks)----please qualify your statements with "some", or "a few", or even "alot"----but, as you should know "redneck" ONLY means "Southerner", as the name came-about regarding people who bent-over to pick cotton, all-day, and thus the back of their neck got red, from the sun.

If my Bible-thumpin' sister can accept all of our gay relatives, the same as I and the rest of my family have, then there's hope for EVERYBODY.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 12:57 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Marknis wrote:
It won't change the rednecks minds because they think anyone who is non-Christian is automatically "kaweer".

Please don't lump ALL rednecks, together (I come from a lonnnnng line of rednecks)----please qualify your statements with "some", or "a few", or even "alot"----but, as you should know "redneck" ONLY means "Southerner", as the name came-about regarding people who bent-over to pick cotton, all-day, and thus the back of their neck got red, from the sun.

If my Bible-thumpin' sister can accept all of our gay relatives, the same as I and the rest of my family have, then there's hope for EVERYBODY.

That seems like the most effective method to change hearts and minds, so far. I don't feel comfortable asking gay people to come out to their hostile families, but those families very often become less hostile to gay people in general when they learn to accept a relative first. It seems to work, but I think as a society we can just try to support people who decide for themselves to come out, rather than making it an obligation due to it's effectiveness.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 8:01 pm

The couple would be wise to keep a low profile. Consistently appearing on TV would be "rubbing their decision in the muslim communities faces". Somebody is going to take this as a matter of "honour" and it may end unpleasantly.

Good luck to the couple though, they have managed to get both the rednecks and fundementalist muslims angry so good on them...

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 12:35 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Marknis wrote:

Well, I don't think everyone from the South is a stereotypical redneck; I am from the South myself! My uncle was a farmer but he was very intelligent.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 3:08 pm

I moved away from redneck regions, sort of, but I don't deny the good parts of my redneck roots. I enjoy hard, dirty jobs on some level, and I'll try to fix anything, mostly half-assed but I'll really try. I prefer plain talk where appropriate.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 10:24 pm

I think we need to accept that rural folk are mostly genuine and hard working people who are more likely to help you if you are in trouble or stranded somewhere. In this respect they have better qualities than many urban snobs.

Unfortunately isolation means they are open to indoctrination by bigoted local politicians and religious leaders who play on their lack of exposure to sociodemographic changes in urban areas, easily manipulating them to fear gays and muslims

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 10:00 am

Non-liberal white equals redneck, white trash, white supremacist, racist, homophobic, xenophobic, islamophobic, so forth and so on.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 11:21 am

Salaam... Y'all!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 12:47 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Salaam... Y'all!

The South is a pretty big place, too. If you include the Southwest, and you kinda have to if you're talking rednecks, then vast swaths of the West Coast will also demand inclusion in redneck territory. I'll leave it to Jeff Foxworthy to generalize about rednecks. He's pretty inclusive, in that regard.

I've felt for a long time that discrimination against rednecks deserves more attention, and I've posted about it here and elsewhere. They present the main obstacle to my attempts to defend them from discrimination by eagerly passing that discrimination on down their perceived hierarchy. It's maddening.

Mark and Ezra should probably meet a broader variety of both rednecks and liberals in person before generalizing about their attitudes so grandiosely.