1977 New York City blackout jump started Hip-Hop?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 3:17 pm

It was 40 years ago today. A heat wave was on, the lights went out, and an orgy of looting and arson commenced.
Out of that nightmare a lasting American art form got its start so it seems.

Was the 1977 New York City Blackout a Catalyst for Hip-Hop’s Growth?

Quote:

On that evening, DJ Grandmaster Caz, a Bronx native, and his DJ partner, Disco Wiz, were spinning records in a park. They had their sound system plugged into a lamppost. Caz recalls the evening: “The record just started slowing down, you know what I mean? So, quite naturally, we thought, it was us. We thought we had drained too much power and we shorted out the electricity. So we’re frantic, we’re looking around, we’re checking buttons, were checking switches, we’re seeing what’s up.”

But Caz and Wiz hadn’t shorted out the electricity. New York was in the middle of a citywide blackout—with power failing in all five boroughs—and pretty soon, things started to get tense. As Caz recalls, “The stores started to close. Like the local bodegas on each corner—we would hear the gates slamming down. It was like they knew what was happening, they knew what was going on, they was like, ‘We closing up now.’ ”

But Caz also believes that the 1977 blackout may have accelerated the growing hip-hop movement, which was just beginning to put down roots in the Bronx. His theory: The looting that occurred during the blackout enabled people who couldn’t afford turntables and mixers to become DJs.

Caz admits that he himself stole new equipment that night. “I went right to the place where I bought my first set of DJ equipment, and I went and got me a mixer out of there.” He continues, “After the blackout, all this new wealth … was found by people and they just—opportunity sprang from that. And you could see the differences before the blackout and after.”

Caz’s theory—that the hip-hop movement was catalyzed by the 1977 blackout—can’t really be confirmed. Joe Schloss, the hip-hop researcher from City University, buys it, with a caveat. “I think it’s true, but I think it’s also important to keep in mind that basically, hip-hop history is an oral history at this point,

But Caz also believes that the 1977 blackout may have accelerated the growing hip-hop movement, which was just beginning to put down roots in the Bronx. His theory: The looting that occurred during the blackout enabled people who couldn’t afford turntables and mixers to become DJs.

Caz admits that he himself stole new equipment that night. “I went right to the place where I bought my first set of DJ equipment, and I went and got me a mixer out of there.” He continues, “After the blackout, all this new wealth … was found by people and they just—opportunity sprang from that. And you could see the differences before the blackout and after.”

Caz’s theory—that the hip-hop movement was catalyzed by the 1977 blackout—can’t really be confirmed. Joe Schloss, the hip-hop researcher from City University, buys it, with a caveat. “I think it’s true, but I think it’s also important to keep in mind that basically, hip-hop history is an oral history at this point,

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 3:27 pm

Why does the quote repeat itself?

Anyway...

Sounds like just another urban myth to me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 4:30 am

Fixed quote

Quote:
On that evening, DJ Grandmaster Caz, a Bronx native, and his DJ partner, Disco Wiz, were spinning records in a park. They had their sound system plugged into a lamppost. Caz recalls the evening: “The record just started slowing down, you know what I mean? So, quite naturally, we thought, it was us. We thought we had drained too much power and we shorted out the electricity. So we’re frantic, we’re looking around, we’re checking buttons, were checking switches, we’re seeing what’s up.”

But Caz and Wiz hadn’t shorted out the electricity. New York was in the middle of a citywide blackout—with power failing in all five boroughs—and pretty soon, things started to get tense. As Caz recalls, “The stores started to close. Like the local bodegas on each corner—we would hear the gates slamming down. It was like they knew what was happening, they knew what was going on, they was like, ‘We closing up now.’ ”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 1:28 pm

Its kinda like saying "the NYC blackout caused looting. That enabled budding musicians to steal electric guitars, drum kits, electric keyboards, and saxophones. Which caused a rise in the number of youngsters becoming musicians who play actual instruments. Thus causing a reduction in the reliance on pre recorded music, and reliance on turntablism in the South Bronx music scene. Which caused a several year DELAY in the rise of hip-hop/rap which is based on turntablism, and the manipulation of already recorded sound."

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 6:47 pm

I agree. I also think that the 1977 New York City Blackout helped hip hop grow. Before that, hip hop wasn't really that big, just block parties and stuff like that. But afterward, hip hop started to gradually grow, and that led to Rapper's Delight, which was the point where hip hop was first introduced to the outside world, and I think that alone also helped hip hop to grow as well. Now, hip hop is all around us! Compare it to 1977, it has come a long way... ;)