jrjones9933 wrote:
I'm curious how you can be bitter and bitter phobic simultaneously. :lol:

I'm sure a very enlightening explanation is to follow. :lol:

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 8:19 pm

You're both being bitter.
He is fixated on how difficult dating is for him whereas it is but a breeze for people he deems morally unworthy of a date. You on the other hand appear to be targeting men's threads to belittle, denigrate, report and shut them down. I'm going to give you the benefit of a doubt and assume you want him to change, or become what you perceive to be a better person. If that is the case, though, I don't know how you expect to achieve that when you're doing to him what others have in his past. His posts might frustrate you but try helping him or at least hearing him out. :) You'd be amazed what that can accomplish.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 8:22 pm

So much hate on both sides. I expect any day now to see a headline that reads "All men are as*holes, and saying you're not an as*hole makes you more of an as*hole."

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 8:23 pm

She hasn't trashed my threads about robo-sex, or even itchy butts. Don't hold back, m'dear.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 8:24 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
You're both being bitter.
He is fixated on how difficult dating is for him whereas it is but a breeze for people he deems morally unworthy of a date. You on the other hand appear to be targeting men's threads to belittle, denigrate, report and shut them down. I'm going to give you the benefit of a doubt and assume you want him to change, or become what you perceive to be a better person. If that is the case, though, I don't know how you expect to achieve that when you're doing to him what others have in his past. His posts might frustrate you but try helping him or at least hearing him out. :) You'd be amazed what that can accomplish.

Why do you think I suggested he talk to a therapist--does that benefit me somehow and not him, if he were to consider that? What dark and evil agenda does it serve, if he were to seek a professional to talk to about his feelings? And because I suggest an angry-sounding thread sounds angry, I want to belittle and denigrate men? Those are some interesting suppositions you've got there.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 8:28 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
She hasn't trashed my threads about robo-sex, or even itchy butts. Don't hold back, m'dear.

You're welcome to borrow my hat, but it isn't a fedora.

She's been kind to your threads which must be a relief. It doesn't alter the previous course of events, however.

@karathrace disingenuous replies fool no one. The post you're quoting clearly refers to your posting history, not your activity solely on this thread. Telling someone to seek therapy is often a condescending remark if there is little to warrant it. IMO some dude being bitter about women....a therapist is incredibly disproportionate action to take if all they're doing is ranting on a forum. I am by no means excusing him, I'm just applying some rationale here.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 8:31 pm

I would like to start seeing a psychologist again, just to improve. I'm doing basically okay.

My previous one expressed interest in seeing how I would cope with a relationship. He had a lot of respect for my ideas, and spent a lot of time explaining how different people could reach different, but equally workable solutions for them. Mainly, he helped me work out how I could do better at getting my ideas across and also better at understanding others. Seems like good work toward a successful relationship.

Some women like brooding guys. Paint your nails black and own your feelings.

Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 8:36 pm

OP, the point of my original post was to give you the perspective of a woman who hears your words. I've struggled with anger before in my life, and I have angry family members. I've also had friends and relationships with people who struggle with anger. Unaddressed anger can put a great strain on all your relationships, it pushes people away from you if they are always worried that something they say or do will set you off and make you yell at them (or worse, because some of the angry people I have known were also violent people when they were angry.) If you had someone to talk to who understands and can teach you how to work through your anger in a healthy way, maybe that would help make it easier to attract people to yourself and to keep people around? I know working on my anger has helped me with all my relationships, not just with men but with my family and friends too. Now when I get angry I know how to deal with it (my personal favourite way is to acknowledge my right to feel anger and the reason I feel that way at the moment and then to exercise--often by going for a walk--to deal with the physical effects of anger like the adrenaline that comes with it.) Because I'm not lashing out at the people around me and have better emotional control, my relationships have improved. Perhaps you can improve your relationships in the same way?

TheSpectrum: it is telling that you see the suggestion of seeing a therapist as an insult. I personally have spent many years in therapy and learned quite a lot from it (including how to deal with my abusive family.) It has contributed very positively to my quality of life, because I learned life skills (and some social skills) in therapy that I couldn't learn from my sick family and parents. So it is natural for me when I see other people struggling with things that I have struggled with and that therapy has helped me with to suggest therapy as a solution. Your perception of my "agenda" seems paranoid.

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jul 2017, 8:39 pm

I don't think Daniel Radcliffe is unworthy to date, I just hate when people say "oh those friend zoned guys are just whining about sex."

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 8:40 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
TheSpectrum: it is telling that you see the suggestion of seeing a therapist as an insult.

May I ask that you not alter the very short and concise meanings of my posts?
"Telling someone to seek therapy is often a condescending remark if there is little to warrant it" is NOT "I Think that...blablabla". I'm saying it is often used as a condescending remark on forums such as this and elsewhere...because it is. I'm not on about how I see it, but how others have used such words. I have also attended some therapy in the past. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but then again I'm forming an opinion based on my experiences on the site.

@Aaendi - Daniel Radcliffe is definitely regurgitating some Nice Guy TM talking points, I can't say they're entirely without merit but can see how they come across as obnoxious.

Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 8:46 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
TheSpectrum: it is telling that you see the suggestion of seeing a therapist as an insult.

"Telling someone to seek therapy is often a condescending remark if there is little to warrant it" is NOT "I Think that...blablabla". I'm saying it is often used as a condescending remark on forums such as this and elsewhere...because it is. I'm not on about how I see it, but how others have used such words. I have also attended some therapy in the past. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but then again I'm forming an opinion based on my experiences on the site.

@Aaendi - Daniel Radcliffe is definitely regurgitating some Nice Guy TM talking points, I can't say they're entirely without merit but can see how they come across as obnoxious.

It is paranoid, and strikes me as disproportionately defensive (as the OP struck me as disproportionately angry), because you are assuming I meant to hurt this guy when I really meant to say I have been there and this is what helped me, maybe it can help you. Who really has the agenda here?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 8:47 pm

Like I said at first. It's the people who use the term, and the way they use it.

OTOH, encouraging these guys to nurture their resentments effectively removes them as potential competitors, so hate on, haters.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 8:49 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:

It is paranoid, and strikes me as disproportionately defensive (as the OP struck me as disproportionately angry), because you are assuming I meant to hurt this guy when I really meant to say I have been there and this is what helped me, maybe it can help you. Who really has the agenda here?

Did you seriously not see the part where I said I also have attended therapy? Anyways we are not helping this user, and the methodology of how you respond to other users is giving your main account's identity away, so let's agree to disagree.

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jul 2017, 8:50 pm

OP, the point of my original post was to give you the perspective of a woman who hears your words. I've struggled with anger before in my life, and I have angry family members. I've also had friends and relationships with people who struggle with anger. Unaddressed anger can put a great strain on all your relationships, it pushes people away from you if they are always worried that something they say or do will set you off and make you yell at them (or worse, because some of the angry people I have known were also violent people when they were angry.) If you had someone to talk to who understands and can teach you how to work through your anger in a healthy way, maybe that would help make it easier to attract people to yourself and to keep people around? I know working on my anger has helped me with all my relationships, not just with men but with my family and friends too. Now when I get angry I know how to deal with it (my personal favourite way is to acknowledge my right to feel anger and the reason I feel that way at the moment and then to exercise--often by going for a walk--to deal with the physical effects of anger like the adrenaline that comes with it.) Because I'm not lashing out at the people around me and have better emotional control, my relationships have improved. Perhaps you can improve your relationships in the same way?

TheSpectrum: it is telling that you see the suggestion of seeing a therapist as an insult. I personally have spent many years in therapy and learned quite a lot from it (including how to deal with my abusive family.) It has contributed very positively to my quality of life, because I learned life skills (and some social skills) in therapy that I couldn't learn from my sick family and parents. So it is natural for me when I see other people struggling with things that I have struggled with and that therapy has helped me with to suggest therapy as a solution. Your perception of my "agenda" seems paranoid.

I do see therapist, but maybe I just don't ask enough questions.

Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 8:53 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:

Did you seriously not see the part where I said I also have attended therapy? Anyways we are not helping this user, and the methodology of how you respond to other users is giving your main account's identity away.

What's a "main account identity"? Are you calling me a sock-puppet?

I think talking about how therapy has helped us could potentially be very beneficial to the OP. I really don't understand why people have responded to me this way on this forum. I thought I had found a place full of people who finally might understand me and who I might understand, but it turns out that place is as full of toxic angry people as everywhere else in the world. :(