Interveiw tomorrow, feeling worried.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2017, 11:33 pm

So. I am still trying to get into the solar business and either I stay on my own as a site assessor and installer and my own business and compete with the established construction company in town or be hired by said company. I met with them a few times at the energy fair and in several other events, but initially they were very cold with me being another solar guy in town. But now it seems like they are going to interview me, and I really know nothing of the company or their opperation as I know mine, and what position would they give me? Site Assessor is still an ill defined profession in this state, installer means gig by gig work, marketing would be a better match, but that is not entry elvel, if I get hired at all.

and if I don't get hired. then what do i do with my other customers who will take my reports, but go with the big companies for installment(where the money actually is)

I am just freaking out... and can't sleep.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 11:59 pm

SwissPagan wrote:
So. I am still trying to get into the solar business and either I stay on my own as a site assessor and installer and my own business and compete with the established construction company in town or be hired by said company. I met with them a few times at the energy fair and in several other events, but initially they were very cold with me being another solar guy in town. But now it seems like they are going to interview me, and I really know nothing of the company or their opperation as I know mine, and what position would they give me? Site Assessor is still an ill defined profession in this state, installer means gig by gig work, marketing would be a better match, but that is not entry elvel, if I get hired at all.

and if I don't get hired. then what do i do with my other customers who will take my reports, but go with the big companies for installment(where the money actually is)

I am just freaking out... and can't sleep.

It could be that they are trying to limit their competition by "buying you out". So you will have to do some serious thinking about whether you want to work for someone else, or try to grow your own operation. If you do decide to work for them, if it's legal in your state, and sometimes even if it isn't, they try to get you to sign a "non compete agreement". You will have to think long and hard if it's worth it to you.

You mentioned you get people who hire you or consult with you, just not for the actual installation. As a business owner, your challenge is to figure out how to get these people to hire you for the installation. Why do they choose the larger company for this? Does the larger company offer them a better deal? Do they feel more secure in having the larger company do it? Do they see you as just some guy who does freelance solar installations, and the larger company as "the real deal"?

If they are trying to "buy you out" by getting you to come over to them, look at yourself from their perspective. They think you are worrisome enough competition to have to get rid of.

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jul 2017, 9:52 pm

Well as it stands they seem like they will take me for part-time installation work, and maybe negotiate a commission if pass work their way, or have larger jobs I can't do... they said nothing about doing other homes they don't know of yet. But I need my electrician to respond more readily to me before I can throw my hat in for installations. I still have a list of people I need to assess still.

It really sucks, this morning I work up and randomly found a music video in my feed to a song that I heard in japan, it made me think of my older ideas, back when I wanted to draw and write. It kinda made me happy but also kind of sad.