Men's Looks Matter More Than Women Admit, Study Shows

Page 1 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 1:12 am

Boom!

https://www.livescience.com/58607-mens- ... ality.html

They spend too much money on what's known and obvious in life, but it's cool still.

Quote:
The results showed that as long as a man was considered attractive or moderately attractive, both mothers and daughters would pick the guy who had the most desirable personality traits. But when an unattractive male was paired with the most highly desirable personality profile, neither daughters nor mothers rated him as favorably as a potential romantic partner, compared with better-looking men with less desirable personalities.

Quote:
In addition, the findings demonstrated that "a moderate level of attractiveness is a necessity to young women and to their moms, and they are not willing to give that up in favor of personality," Fugère said.

She explained that physical attractiveness appears to act as a gatekeeper for potential mates. If a man meets a required level of physical attractiveness, then women are willing to consider his personality characteristics, the study revealed.

and like I have always suspected:
Quote:
However, the new findings, combined with previous research in which women have reported that personality is more important to them, suggest that women tend to underestimate the true importance they place on a man's physical attractiveness, Fugère said.

This is not true of men, she said. Men are more consciously aware — or more willing to admit (bingo!) — that good looks in a woman are more important to them than personality, Fugère said

...and oh, before you call this a sexist conspiracy, note that the leading researcher is a lady.

That's the article by herself:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/da ... ersonality

Quote:
Try this for yourself: Ask a female friend which characteristics are most important to her in a romantic partner. How do you think she will reply? How would you reply? When researchers ask women which traits are most important in a romantic partner, they rarely mention physical attractiveness. In response to an open-ended question in our own recent research project, women responded that honesty, respectfulness, and trustworthiness were the three most important traits in a male partner (Fugère et al., 2017a).

Quote:
One day, as part of a class demonstration, I challenged my students to think about whether physical attractiveness was really unimportant to their dating decisions. I showed them photographs of people who'd been rated relatively unattractive, and asked which students would be interested in dating these individuals. None of my students were interested in dating the unattractive individuals, even when I assured them that those individuals were extremely kind, honest, and respectful.

lol

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 14 Jul 2017, 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 1:26 am

aight.

does this mean i have to grow my eyebrow back?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 4:06 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
aight.

does this mean i have to grow my eyebrow back?

umm... yes.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 5:09 am

Lucky for myself then that I'm generally considered handsome.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 9:21 am

I just have to get to know a person first before I make a judgment of attractive or not. I've been with "curvy" women that were more attractive to me than skinny supermodels, and I've known absolutely heinous "attractive" girls.

But what I have found most consistently is how easy it is to predict behavior based on looks. I've met more physically attractive women who were all-around fun to be with than less-attractive women.

I'm not exactly in the market for guys, but I wonder if something similar isn't true. People with disabilities don't bother me. But I was once nice to this guy, and just looking at him I felt uneasy. Well, give everyone a chance, right? He asked me what video games I like, and I mentioned one in particular. Next thing I know he's constantly badgering me about coming over and playing video games. I'm like, y'know, some of us actually WORK for a living. Nothing against people who need assistance, but I don't have that kind of time on my hands. The needle on my creep-o-meter started to move a little, but it blew my wife's clean off the scale.

I'm not saying judging a person by looks alone is right. However, it does seem to communicate something about what that person really is like.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 2:13 pm

This is the same for women.

The reality is though, it won't make a relationship last. Personality/compatibility does matter therefore for long term relationships.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 2:57 pm

i think this matters more in online dating where a woman is presented with photos and photos and photos of men. She's probably going to click on the ones that look most attractive. This study reflects this sort of circumstance more than it does situations where you get to know someone over a period of time and find out what their personality is really like.

I wonder what the study would show if the women were shown photos of men they actually know and then strangers were also shown these men and whether they would rank them similarly.

Take Keanu Reeves as an example. I've never been a fan of him movies and at face value I don't find him particularly good looking. But I have read a few articles about him and he seems to be a genuinely nice bloke. Finding this out makes me more liable to date him. (Not that I'm ever going to run into him, but in theory). Not sure how he'd take this lol. You're not stereotypically attractive, but attractive none-the-less.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 6:38 pm

I thought it was common knowledge that when it comes to relationships people tend to consider people they find attractive, rather than people they don't find attractive for said relationship. So its not a real surprise.

I don't think anyone would want a romantic relationship with someone they don't find attractive, generally speaking.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 1:22 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I thought it was common knowledge that when it comes to relationships people tend to consider people they find attractive, rather than people they don't find attractive for said relationship. So its not a real surprise.

I don't think anyone would want a romantic relationship with someone they don't find attractive, generally speaking.

The study shows that there's so much denial in that among women; and we see it common in life, as if women are afraid to be seen as shallow as men.
You see a lot often women saying something like "Nooo I don't care about looks, I care for personality"; yet you see them in the next moment drooling for some celeb hunk.

It's that denial which is really bothering, not their care for looks which is natural like you say.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 1:26 am

hurtloam wrote:
i think this matters more in online dating where a woman is presented with photos and photos and photos of men. She's probably going to click on the ones that look most attractive. This study reflects this sort of circumstance more than it does situations where you get to know someone over a period of time and find out what their personality is really like.

I wonder what the study would show if the women were shown photos of men they actually know and then strangers were also shown these men and whether they would rank them similarly.

Take Keanu Reeves as an example. I've never been a fan of him movies and at face value I don't find him particularly good looking. But I have read a few articles about him and he seems to be a genuinely nice bloke. Finding this out makes me more liable to date him. (Not that I'm ever going to run into him, but in theory). Not sure how he'd take this lol. You're not stereotypically attractive, but attractive none-the-less.

But I bet it's the same for men, for example if men learn this hot babe is a gold digger (the most repulsive personality trait a woman can have to men) then I am sure 90% of men at least wouldn't want to date her anymore.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 5:00 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

But I bet it's the same for men, for example if men learn this hot babe is a gold digger (the most repulsive personality trait a woman can have to men) then I am sure 90% of men at least wouldn't want to date her anymore.

Actually I know a lot of men who are happy to play a gold digger's game for a time if she's attractive enough. Gold diggers are only a concern if you're interested in serious relationships.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 5:43 am

Sabreclaw wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

Actually I know a lot of men who are happy to play a gold digger's game for a time if she's attractive enough. Gold diggers are only a concern if you're interested in serious relationships.

Well, yeah, those are the remaining 10% who view them as sort of prostitutes and nothing else.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 6:21 am

All women are gold diggers to an extent. It's basic biology.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 6:47 am

Jeez Closet, my thread is at risk to be locked; don't make it worse.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 6:53 am

I know people have a hard time facing reality, but it's not my fault. Sorry though :lol:

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2017, 7:18 am

Closet Genious wrote:
All women are gold diggers to an extent. It's basic biology.

Wow, a post that isn't politicising what is in essence a biological urge, from both sides!

I'd completely agree with this. No matter how we dress it up, the men want as young as they can get, as attractive, because of this biological urge.
Same for the ladies, they want the best provider, the most attractive etc etc.
Both sides want the best carrier for their genes.

Mother nature is practical. So are We, if we brings things down to brass tacks.