Men's Looks Matter More Than Women Admit, Study Shows

Page 3 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 2:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't have muscles. I don't dress that great. I don't have a six-pack. I'm 5 foot 4 3/4, and weigh 180 lbs. I'm awkward, and I meow and growl in the streets. I also have gray hair, and look sort of old.

The only time when women have ever shown disdain for me was when I gave out a "desperate" vibe in my early 20s.

Women don't mind it if I flirt with them a little.

We can't all be casanovas like you kraftie. :)

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 10:23 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:
A gold digger is someone who marries only for money because their priority in life is the material. A woman concerned with finding a financially stable mate who can support a family is not necessarily a gold digger. It's a matter of practicality that a woman who wishes to live a traditionally female role as mother and care giver to her children and husband needs a husband who can fill the traditionally male role of provider for his family, much as it is a matter of practicality for a man who wished to have children to find a woman young enough to reproduce. In most situations, even women who want financially stable men, and men who want young women also place a lot of value in the character of the other person.

At times, gold digging is hidden behind this pretext though

So is wanting a younger woman. When I encountered men my age on dating sites and saw they would not date women our age, and asked why, they would inevitably talk about wanting children. But most men don't want more than 3 children and a woman my age can reasonably give a man 3 children without medical intervention. When I point this out, they cite an increased risk of birth defects such as Down's Syndrome, while it increases with maternal age is low to begin with. At my age, it's still less than 3%. In fact, the odds of other birth defects decrease with maternal age, but the odds of schizophrenia and autism (of all types) increase with paternal age such that sperm banks cap the age of male donors at around the same age as egg banks cap the age of female donors. If a woman just wants money and a man just wants youth, they should just say so, in my opinion.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
, there's a fine line there..... for instance if for her the money is a lot more important than everything else in the man and would leave him in a tick at the very first financial hurdle, then YES, I consider this woman a subtle type of gold digger too. In real life, not all good diggers are the obvious hollywood type, the subtle ones are way more common.
/anyway enough about GD, let's go back to topic.

Again the same goes for men who want youth and beauty. In the U.S. men leave wives who become disfigured or ill with a serious, prolonged illness at 6 times the rate that women leave husbands who become disfigured or ill, and women who have been scared or disfigured from breast cancer find that this causes most men to reject them.

It would be nice if these gold diggers and youth/beauty diggers couldn't hide their motives, but unfortunately such is not the nature of the world. But it's nothing to get upset about. I was reading 1001 Arabian Nights recently. The stories date back centuries and are filled with all the relationship and social injustices that we lament about on here today, and I imagine these facets of humanity will continue long after all of us here are gone as well.

I would love to see statistics on how many men and women leave their partners, if they lose their job/money.
But you know what chronos, I completely agree with you. These things will NEVER change, unless we re-engineer the human genome or something. It is what it is. :)

When a man becomes unemployed the chance of divorce increases, and this is not mirrored when a woman becomes unemployed. I do not know the exact rate though. Also, I suspect that many of the divorces that occur when a man becomes unemployed might be due in part to his response to this rather than the actual economic hardship. Over the years I've encountered gripes from wives of unemployed men and their complaints didn't revolve around the fact that he was no longer bringing in money but rather they complained that their husbands sit on the couch all day watching TV and playing video games and no longer bother looking for a job. No doubt the men are depressed and discouraged, and often when men feel they can no longer support their family, they push their family away because they think their family would be better off without them.

Also, I would add, the men who leave ill wives, it's not merely a case of the woman losing her looks. The men are more often running from a situation they can't fix and don't know how to cope with.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 12:42 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't have muscles. I don't dress that great. I don't have a six-pack. I'm 5 foot 4 3/4, and weigh 180 lbs. I'm awkward, and I meow and growl in the streets. I also have gray hair, and look sort of old.

The only time when women have ever shown disdain for me was when I gave out a "desperate" vibe in my early 20s.

Sometimes you younger guys on the forum should listen to those here who have more life experience.

Kraftie is making a good point. I see not stereotypically attractive men in relationships on a daily basis.

People vibe with those they can relate to. Mark zuceburg and bill gates are both married.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 6:52 am

hurtloam wrote:
Mark zuceburg and bill gates are both married.

Right! And guess what they have in common.. :lmao:

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 7:05 am

hurtloam wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Sometimes you younger guys on the forum should listen to those here who have more life experience.

Kraftie is making a good point. I see not stereotypically attractive men in relationships on a daily basis.

People vibe with those they can relate to. Mark zuceburg and bill gates are both married.

It's amazing what 10 billion in the bank account can do for someone's attractiveness.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 7:37 am

Aristophanes wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

It's amazing what 10 billion in the bank account can do for someone's attractiveness.

It also should be noted that Bill Gates and Mark Z. got married to smart types of women, not to supermodels.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 8:18 am

I'm very much in debt----and I still do okay LOL

It's probably better for a man if he has a job. Or has substantial savings.

In rural areas, a car is really good, too.

It's even better if a man wears clean clothes, and takes care of his hygiene.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 12:45 pm

Ok I'm out. The reasoning on this thread is very circular.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 12:47 pm

hurtloam wrote:

It was a slight ribbing we were giving you for your examples, not a full frontal assault. :wink:

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 2:22 pm

hurtloam wrote:

Well there's not really a whole lot to discuss, facts are facts.

I think we all agree that looks, money and status are the three things women are most attracted too. Which of the three is most important is where we disagree.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 2:42 pm

Melinda Ann does not sound like a gold digger, it was Bill who asked her out, and they dated for six years before getting married. Also it was Melinda who founded the donation foundation ; a gold digger isn't likely to be that much philanthropist.

Priscilla Chan sounds similar too, she became Mark's gf back in college BEFORE he gets wealthy; and it seems it's her who inspired him to donate most of their wealth.

Both women look normal.

So....no, with their money they could get any golddiger supermodels but those two picked their wives well instead.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 3:06 am

hurtloam wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Any advice on figuring out who your actually compatible with and the right type of person for you would be best?

I agree, birds of a feather flock together, when they actually have the chance to meet each other.

People who are compatible are really good at coincidentally meeting 'their kind'.

Dunno what type of person I am, what girls to go for, where they would be, what things about myself I'd have to change (but still being true to myself) to be more attractive to them.

vethysnia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2017, 3:29 pm

Quote:

I think we all agree that looks, money and status are the three things women are most attracted too. Which of the three is most important is where we disagree.

Man, if that's what you really believe I wish you all the luck in the world on getting into a long term loving relationship. You're gonna need it.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 7:21 pm

vethysnia wrote:
Quote:

Man, if that's what you really believe I wish you all the luck in the world on getting into a long term loving relationship. You're gonna need it.

Thanks, but I don't actually need it. I have more relationship experience than most guys my age.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 12:43 am

Closet Genious wrote:
vethysnia wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, but I don't actually need it. I have more relationship experience than most guys my age.

That's a bold statement, mist NT guys also have quite a few relationships under their belt by your age.

Whats your issue with relationships anyway?

I agree with you about the looksabd status thing and also agree relationships are a business transaction but why's it a problem?

LIFE is a business transaction - you get out what you put in, you give a little and get a little.

Our friendships and family relations aren't unconditional either.

But you're oversimplifying it. Men and Women look for value above all else, a person needs to offer value in some way and this can be subjective what is valuable and what isnt, and ho valauble x vs y is, but most people have the same general opinion on whats valuable and attractive.

But many women date hypergamously so a man doesn't have to be good looking, rich and successful, but only relatively better than his competition, e.g. an upper middle class young guy with nice car and clothes, job, studying etc. The whole plain white teeth etc. He's perfectly average by his private school peers standards but he is super attractive and successful to redneck women whos usual options are unhygienic, rough mannered, alcoholic trailer park boys, etc.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 5:05 am

Outrider wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:
vethysnia wrote:
Quote:

That's a bold statement, mist NT guys also have quite a few relationships under their belt by your age.

Whats your issue with relationships anyway?

I agree with you about the looksabd status thing and also agree relationships are a business transaction but why's it a problem?

LIFE is a business transaction - you get out what you put in, you give a little and get a little.

Our friendships and family relations aren't unconditional either.

But you're oversimplifying it. Men and Women look for value above all else, a person needs to offer value in some way and this can be subjective what is valuable and what isnt, and ho valauble x vs y is, but most people have the same general opinion on whats valuable and attractive.

But many women date hypergamously so a man doesn't have to be good looking, rich and successful, but only relatively better than his competition, e.g. an upper middle class young guy with nice car and clothes, job, studying etc. The whole plain white teeth etc. He's perfectly average by his private school peers standards but he is super attractive and successful to redneck women whos usual options are unhygienic, rough mannered, alcoholic trailer park boys, etc.

It was simpy a response to an incredibly condescending post, it's not something to brag about, but I was in relationships for most of my teens up until my early twenties, while most of my nt friends were not.

I don't have an issue with relationships per se, what I tend to have an issue with, is the amount of dishonesty and fiction people dish out when discussing them. There's a mountain of useless advice for the young and naive men on this forum.

It's a good point, life is in many ways a business transaction, but relationships really is the highest expression of that, and that's why I don't find them very compelling anymore. My family relations and close friendships are "closer" to being unconditional than relationships will ever be. Friends and family don't "dump" me because I earn less or have less social status than them, that's the thing about hypergamy, it only goes upwards.