Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 2:31 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Just scan a few random recent articles on Evolutionary and Social Psychology. The former will have more speculation and fewer citations of experiments. Since you can't expect people to conduct randomized trials of evolution in humans, you can't expect a 1-1 comparison, but the measurement overturns a lot of common sense.

ummm.....not very convinced, but ok

What about Psychiatry??

I don't know if my homework assignment ;-) will convince you, but it's a start.

Psychiatry has a lot of research support for the effectiveness of their drugs in a particular context. I think they need to consider context more deeply, in general, but many individual psychiatrists do so.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 2:42 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Just scan a few random recent articles on Evolutionary and Social Psychology. The former will have more speculation and fewer citations of experiments. Since you can't expect people to conduct randomized trials of evolution in humans, you can't expect a 1-1 comparison, but the measurement overturns a lot of common sense.

ummm.....not very convinced, but ok

What about Psychiatry??

Psychiatry has a lot of research support for the effectiveness of their drugs in a particular context. I think they need to consider context more deeply, in general, but many individual psychiatrists do so.

Spyoon wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
And Psychiatry is more valid and true? Answer me, Aspies.

Kind of, it depends on what psychiatrists claim and what evidence they base their theories on. :mrgreen:
Generally they do have a plethora of methods for measuring biochemical and physiological data. And then they can apply statistical tools to evaluate their findings. I am sadly biased against the field myself , especially when it comes to identifying disorders and therapies.

Dudes, are you aware that.... ASPERGER SYNDROME, is just a Psychiatric diagnosis and has no existence at all in medical diagnosis references? Because AS has no clear biological definition for its molecular mechanism (ie. the exact location of mutation, the exact missing chromosome part....etc) like Down Syndrome or Williams syndrome.

Rett Syndrome for example was a Psychiatric diagnosis in DSM, but it was removed from DSM and 'evolved' to a medical diagnosis after research proving its molecular mechanism. No diagnosis can coexist on both, it's either this or that.

But so far, no research could determine that for AS; there's still no organic test (ie. blood test) proving the existence of AS in a person; its diagnosis is all based on behavior.

So questioning Psychiatry would really lead to questioning AS as well, if Psychiatry is a lie then AS is possibly a lie or simply a social construct; therefore we are all might be living a lie here and the whole WP is based on...a fictional idea.

Quote:

Actually Psychiatry is the most controversial field out of the three, even more controversial than evolutionary psychology.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment

Spyoon
Raven
Raven

16 Jul 2017, 3:10 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Dudes, are you aware that.... ASPERGER SYNDROME, is just a Psychiatric diagnosis and has no existence at all in medical diagnosis references? Because AS has no clear biological definition for its molecular mechanism (ie. the exact location of mutation, the exact missing chromosome part....etc) like Down Syndrome or Williams syndrome.

Rett Syndrome for example was a Psychiatric diagnosis in DSM, but it was removed from DSM and 'evolved' to a medical diagnosis after research proving its molecular mechanism. No diagnosis can coexist on both, it's either this or that.

But so far, no research could determine that for AS; there's still no organic test (ie. blood test) proving the existence of AS in a person; its diagnosis is all based on behavior.

So questioning Psychiatry would really lead to questioning AS as well, if Psychiatry is a lie then AS is possibly a lie or simply a social construct; therefore we are all might be living a lie here and the whole WP is based on...a fictional idea.

Sure.
Just note that money and language are also social constucts.

More controversy will surround the field that is more developed and spread. Very few of our era take evolutionary psychology seriously enough for it to matter. Plus it's not a money source yet.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 3:27 pm

Better questions make better science.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 11:16 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I still don't understand why Psychiatry is more valid than Evolutionary psychology.

Because there's money in psychiatry.

Aaron Rhodes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2017, 11:44 pm

It seems that this post is getting a bit off topic. Perhaps create a new post to discuss that issue.