Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 4:22 am

Just bumped into this study http://www.apa.org/monitor/dec04/women.aspx
It's pretty old, but I really wish it was more well known, because it highlights the tendencies that annoys me the most about the gender dynamics.

In summary, neither women nor men have men's best interest in mind. Women have a strong own group preference, and men will fight eachother to get laid. The white knight phenomenon in a nutshell.
This might seem obvious to some, yet I wish there was more awareness surrounding it, so people, and men especially had more control over their sh***y instincts, and could start actually giving a damn about their fellow men.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 10:35 am

apes....

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 10:36 am

It's not as simple as that......

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 10:42 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's not as simple as that......

Sorry, but that's a useless statement, I could say that about any observation about anything.
There are several other studies proving the same thing. To not say it's atleast part of the equation is pretty ignorant in my opinion.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 10:45 am

But, many times, it's not part of the equation.

Sometimes, it has relevance; other times, it doesn't.

I'm not going into a situation thinking that this will happen. That would derail the situation immediately. Continue the Stymie.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 14 Jul 2017, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 10:54 am

Historically, protected groups often develop this solidarity behavior.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 11:14 am

Aw, boo hoo...nobody cares about men's needs. Go get a waaaaa burger with some french cries.

Men do it to themselves. If men want better treatment, they should be better people.

I only have one gripe about that. Only one. I'm a chronic church-goer. God, Jesus, Holy Ghost--I'm all about that. There are 52 weeks in a year that a pastor could tear into men, how we need to man up, step up, and all that. We get ONE SUNDAY to celebrate Father's Day, and that's the one Sunday the pastor picks to rip into us. No encouragement. No examples of good fathers from the Bible (and there's no shortage of them). No celebration of men and fatherhood. It boils down to women are saints on Mother's Day and men/Fathers are sh¡+ on Father's Day.

That's my "waaaaaaa" moment and I'm done.

Men have historically been the better providers on large scale issues while women have always done better with concerns closer to home. It's not just a patriarchal thing, it's just the way men are "built." One is not superior to the other. We need each other and complementing abilities paired together make couple relationships powerful things. I have no problem whatsoever with reversing roles, either, as long as we work together to keep things moving forward.

But men take care of ourselves. We always have. Why do we NEED someone to say "hey, you're so awesome and mighty" and give us special treatment? We can handle ourselves just fine.

Women, on the other hand have been forced to depend on protection from and by men and largely had only each other to depend on for emotional support. There's also the rite of becoming a woman that binds them together, something men lack the ability for. There's no definite point in time that a man can say "I became a man."

So a lot of it we really can't help.

But then you DO have--I dunno, what's the divorce rate now? We can't keep our relationships together. We can't keep our families together. Women keep primary custody of their children. You have so many deadbeat dads not doing their fair share. And those are the ones NOT beating on their wives and scaring them into staying in abusive relationships. Men who are too busy at work to spend time with their kids. Men who cheat in relationships for WHATEVER reason.

I despise much of what feminism has come to mean. But lets face it, what have men as a gender really done to deserve any better?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 11:46 am

I just feel that thinking and living, in terms of the results of these "studies" will, inevitably, render one "alone for life."

Men have advantages, women have advantages.

Men are not monolithic beings, nor are women.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 11:54 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I just feel that thinking and living, in terms of the results of these "studies" will, inevitably, render one "alone for life."

Men have advantages, women have advantages.

Men are not monolithic beings, nor are women.

Agreed.

Aaron Rhodes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2017, 1:09 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
Sorry, but that's a useless statement, I could say that about any observation about anything.
There are several other studies proving the same thing. To not say it's atleast part of the equation is pretty ignorant in my opinion.

To believe everything you hear from those studies is also pretty ignorant. He also never said that it wasn't part of the equation, he just said it wasn't as simple as you make it out to be. I'm sure there are also several studies out there that 'prove' contrary to your claim. You simply picked studies that catered to your opinion and likely ignored anything that said otherwise. I would suggest that you do some research on what groups or types of people the study was based on. Do you know if they concentrated their search to a specific location or if they based it on a large enough group? Often times studies are unreliable because the pool of people used is inadequate; in other words, it can not be used to represent mankind as a whole.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 3:31 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Aw, boo hoo...nobody cares about men's needs. Go get a waaaaa burger with some french cries.

Men do it to themselves. If men want better treatment, they should be better people.

I only have one gripe about that. Only one. I'm a chronic church-goer. God, Jesus, Holy Ghost--I'm all about that. There are 52 weeks in a year that a pastor could tear into men, how we need to man up, step up, and all that. We get ONE SUNDAY to celebrate Father's Day, and that's the one Sunday the pastor picks to rip into us. No encouragement. No examples of good fathers from the Bible (and there's no shortage of them). No celebration of men and fatherhood. It boils down to women are saints on Mother's Day and men/Fathers are sh¡+ on Father's Day.

That's my "waaaaaaa" moment and I'm done.

Men have historically been the better providers on large scale issues while women have always done better with concerns closer to home. It's not just a patriarchal thing, it's just the way men are "built." One is not superior to the other. We need each other and complementing abilities paired together make couple relationships powerful things. I have no problem whatsoever with reversing roles, either, as long as we work together to keep things moving forward.

But men take care of ourselves. We always have. Why do we NEED someone to say "hey, you're so awesome and mighty" and give us special treatment? We can handle ourselves just fine.

Women, on the other hand have been forced to depend on protection from and by men and largely had only each other to depend on for emotional support. There's also the rite of becoming a woman that binds them together, something men lack the ability for. There's no definite point in time that a man can say "I became a man."

So a lot of it we really can't help.

But then you DO have--I dunno, what's the divorce rate now? We can't keep our relationships together. We can't keep our families together. Women keep primary custody of their children. You have so many deadbeat dads not doing their fair share. And those are the ones NOT beating on their wives and scaring them into staying in abusive relationships. Men who are too busy at work to spend time with their kids. Men who cheat in relationships for WHATEVER reason.

I despise much of what feminism has come to mean. But lets face it, what have men as a gender really done to deserve any better?

There is so much wrong with what you just wrote I don't even know where to begin...

First off, you completely miss the point of my post. This has nothing to do with feminism, or other societal or enviromental causes. It's an evolutionary arguement, and about our instincs, in which reproduction is the primary reason for those instincts. Those instincts were once useful, but we live in a completely different world now, where I don't believe that we as men need to be in constant fierce competition with eachother and constantly trying to put eachother down for the sake of getting laid. My ideal scenario is one where we can atleast partially overcome our instincts with intellect and compassion. Which brings me to

My second point. It's really ironic how much you prove my point, and how much you in my view fall completely flat on your face. Your first instinct is to tell me that I am whining, and you carry a belief that all men's suffering is deserved and self inflicted, while women who suffer need your protection and compassion. I think this is a really primitive mindset, it's like you view women as children, and men as monsters. I don't think us men need to go around telling eachother "you're awesome", rational thinking would be sufficient. Did you know that suicide is the primary cause of death for males under 50 now? If your best friend was struggling with depression, would you tell him to "go get a waaaa burger and french fries"? There is nothing f*****g wrong with having regard for your fellow men.

I don't know why I can be bothered because you speak so much rubbish, but thirdly... Look at the statistics from any western country, and you will find that 70% of divorces, sometimes even higher, are initiated by the woman. There's also quite alot of data that shows that women are atleast twice as likely to cheat compared to men. And fact is, after those divorces, women will most likely have a large support network of both men and women to support her. While the man often has no one.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 3:36 pm

Aaron Rhodes wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:

To believe everything you hear from those studies is also pretty ignorant. He also never said that it wasn't part of the equation, he just said it wasn't as simple as you make it out to be. I'm sure there are also several studies out there that 'prove' contrary to your claim. You simply picked studies that catered to your opinion and likely ignored anything that said otherwise. I would suggest that you do some research on what groups or types of people the study was based on. Do you know if they concentrated their search to a specific location or if they based it on a large enough group? Often times studies are unreliable because the pool of people used is inadequate; in other words, it can not be used to represent mankind as a whole.

I don't think it is ignorant at all. While I agree that sometimes the sample size is not sufficient, in this case, I don't think a sample size of 1 million people is required to get interesting and useful data. Also, there's a difference between believing something based off studies, compared to just believing something you hear from a friend, I don't think those a comparable at all.

I would also like to point out that there are absolutely no studies showing the opposite.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 7:14 pm

:lol: employ four women, put them in a room together and see the study fall apart :lol:

Aaron Rhodes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2017, 7:58 pm

The pool of people they did their study on was college students. That means the age range of their study is severely limited. Also at that age range, most people likely haven't matured yet, so the study will obviously return results that favor your opinion. I'm not arguing that what you have said isn't true, and it's likely still dominant in our society, but you should at least determine just how reliable your sources are. The typical age range of college students will fall between 18-24 years old, and that group is a very small percentage of the world's population. It would be more beneficial to your claim to provide a better source.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 1:12 am

That's the "man up" mindset right here.

Aaron Rhodes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jul 2017, 9:02 am

Quote:
I don't think a sample size of 1 million people is required to get interesting and useful data.

And yet 204 college students are enough to base their theory on the behavior of all mankind? And do you know how reliable the Implicit Association Test really is? I would hope that when you read that article that you at least did some research on their methods. It hardly provides interesting or useful data if it is based on a faulty study.

Yes, the behavior you have described does still exist, but you should be careful about making those generalizations. From what it sounds like, you're saying that all men and all women act in the way you have described, which certainly isn't true. You're basically making very broad generalizations of both gender groups and providing unreliable 'proof' of your claim. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is against the WP rules, so I would suggest either rephrasing your statements, or find a more reliable source to back up your claims.